Easter Island Effect

Discussion in 'Environment' started by wihosa, May 13, 2009.

1. wihosa

wihosa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Easter Island in the South Pacific is well known for the many massive carved statue heads(moai) standing all around the island. Their origins have been much debated over the years with all sorts of theories including extra-terrestrial sculptors.

Scientific research has concluded that the statues are the work of the indigenous people. How were these statues constructed and moved? The Island today is mostly barren, covered with grass and only a few trees and with a very small population (less than 5,000). In the past however the island sustained a large population, probably in the tens of thousands, and was a verdant forested island. There were sufficient resources, both human and material, to acheive the construction and placement of the moai.

The scientific conclusion is that the island was deforested by the very large poulation and as a result the population the island could support was greatly reduced. In other words the people literally consumed themselves out of house and home.

Why did would they do this? The answer is because they didn't know they were doing it. It took place over the course of many generations, with each successive generation assuming that the state of their environment was as it had always been.

Why is this important? Because this is the very same condition the whole world is now in. Each successive generation not seeing much change in the environment assumes there is no problem.

The difference of course is that we now have science. We can measure the changes in the environment. We know what we are doing to our environment. The question now is, can we change our behavior or will the Earth fall prey to the 'Easter Island Effect'?

2. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,422
    Unfortunetly, judging from the posts on this and other boards, I believe that we will see a worldwide "Collapse". One involving ecological, economic, and social systems. At one time, I thought that it would be well after my lifespan. Now, it is entirely possible, if I live to the norm within my family, that I will see a major portion of this collapse.

3. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,095
    I don't wish to change the direction of your thread, but if you have an interest in Easter Island, I would recommend Thor Heyerdahl's book "AKU AKU." Fascinating.

4. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Again with this comparing modern society to ancient cultures, and not very well either. Try harder, at least make it a challenge to debunk your crap.

5. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,422
    Excellant book. And one should follow it up with Jared Diamond's "Collapse".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Take a lot of video. It'll be good stuff

7. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Considering nothing has really changed in the last 20 years, it's become routine.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    You really need to go outside sometime KK. Things really have changed in 2o years.

9. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    I go out a lot, hiking and such as well. Name one thing that has changed besides there being more people in my way.

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Your dementia has gotten worse.