Earth-like planet discovered in 'habitable' zone

Half the size of Neptune. Likely has deep oceans of 500+ miles deep as it is likely a warm neptune. NOT earth! Neptune is a ice giant, but where this is at it would be a ocean giant(I'd assume). Now, I don't believe such couldn't have life within them. Imagine for a second what such a ocean could have within it. The creatures could be (tens)miles in size!:eek:

Life started on earth within the ocean and could easily start here.

"warm Neptune",[7] depending on its actual mass.[6] Since it is substantially larger than Earth, it is likely to have a different composition. If it is mostly ocean with a small rocky core, Natalie Batalha, one of the scientists on the project, speculated "it's not beyond the realm of possibility that life could exist in such an ocean."[8] This possibility of life has spurred SETI to perform research on top candidates for extraterrestrial intelligence.[9]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler-22b

Last edited:
Don't let the fact that it is a small neptune make you think it couldn't have a huge ocean full of life. But, we will not know.

I'd likely not want to fuck with such life as it would be massive.

Really think they would be massive? I have always been told, and assumed it true, that the physics of such large creatures was impossible. That their body mass wouldn't be able to sustain itself, it would literally crush under itself. We were watching a special on giant monsters in the movies. They paraded all these biologists and physicists out to prove that there was no way you could have giant lizards, spiders, or people. Maybe if they were in the water that stuff might not aply they never discussed water creatures.

SETI's latest quest is to find money to look for E.T.'s...
:eusa_eh:
Search for Aliens Is on Again, but Next Quest Is Finding Money
January 29, 2012 — E.T. might be phoning, but do we care enough to take the call?
Operating on money and equipment scrounged from the public and from Silicon Valley millionaires, and on the stubborn strength of their own dreams, a band of astronomers recently restarted one of the iconic quests of modern science, the search for extraterrestrial intelligence — SETI, for short — which had been interrupted last year by a lack of financing. Early in December, a brace of 42 radio telescopes, known as the Allen Telescope Array, nestled here in the shadow of Lassen Peak, came to life and resumed hopping from star to star in the constellation Cygnus, listening for radio broadcasts from alien civilizations. The lines are now open, but with lingering financial problems, how long they will remain that way is anybody’s guess. These should be boom times for those seeking out aliens, or at least their radio proxy.

Astronomers now know that the galaxy is teeming with at least as many planets — the presumed sites of life — as stars. Advanced life and technology might be rare in the cosmos, said Geoffrey W. Marcy, the Watson and Marilyn Alberts in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence professor at the University of California, Berkeley, “but surely they are out there, because the number of Earthlike planets in the Milky Way galaxy is simply too great.” A simple “howdy,” a squeal or squawk, or an incomprehensible stream of numbers captured by one of the antennas here at the University of California’s Hat Creek Radio Observatory would be enough to end our cosmic loneliness and change history, not to mention science. It would answer one of the most profound questions humans ask: Are we alone in the universe?

JP-ALIENENS-1-articleLarge.jpg

The telescopes in the Allen Array in Hat Creek, Calif., came back to life in December, scanning for signals in the constellation Cygnus. Only 42 of the planned 350 antennas have been built.

Despite decades of space probes and billions of NASA dollars looking for life out there, there is still only one example of life in the universe: the DNA-based web of biology on Earth. “In this field,” said Jill Tarter, an astronomer at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, Calif., the “number two is the all-important number. We count one, two, infinity. We’re all looking for number two.” But the story of SETI is the story of a dream deferred by politics, a lack of money and the technological challenges of searching what astronomers call “the cosmic haystack”: 100 billion stars in the galaxy and 9 billion narrow-band radio channels on which aliens, if they exist, might be trying to hail us.

Politics and the recession have crimped astronomers’ budgets and left the institute’s scientists with a kind of siege mentality. Last spring, the University of California ran out of money to run the Hat Creek observatory, forcing the Allen telescopes into hibernation. In order to continue the search, astronomers are negotiating a deal to share the telescopes with the Air Force, which wants to use them to track satellites and space junk. No federal funds have been spent searching for radio signals from extraterrestrials since 1993. A recent visit to the SETI Institute’s Mountain View offices found many of the cubicles empty and the corridors eerily quiet. Last summer, as the Allen telescopes slumbered, weeds grew around them.

998,000 Stars to Go

Oh my, it's only 600 light years away. I'll pack a overnight bag right now.

Earth-like planet found in 'habitable' zone

With our current abilities to actually know what is there. They are using the Term Earth Like Rather Loosely if you ask me. The best they can have is a basic Idea as to it's size, and mass. It's Position in relation to it's Star, and the size and power of Said star, and maybe through light spectrum Analysis possible a very Rudimentary idea of Some of the Gasses present in the Atmosphere.

So don't start Packing your Bags yet, the chances that it is in fact habitable By Human Life are still very slim. There are far more Factors that Made Life Possible on earth than just Oxygen, Water, and Location. To many Factors to list, that all had to be just so, to assume this Planet is anything but a Hostile Environment.

Just a few of the less known "Key Factors" To life on Earth.

1 large moon (relative to the Size of the Planet) Which over Millions of Years slowed the Rotation of the Earth, and made our Climate Mild. Our Relatively Large Single Moon also acts as a Shield, Helping take Cosmic Hits instead of the Earth.

2 Our Tilt on our Axis, With out which Earth would have no seasons and the Poles would Freeze while the Middle Fried.

3 Three massive Gas Giants (Jupiter, Saturn, and Uranus) Positioned to act like Giant Asteroid and Comet Magnets further Shielding Earth.

4 A Strong and Pretty Constant Magnetic Field Which Saves us from Frying from Solar Radiation.

Sorry lol I was Bored.

Last edited:
Oh my, it's only 600 light years away. I'll pack a overnight bag right now.

Earth-like planet found in 'habitable' zone

With our current abilities to actually know what is there. They are using the Term Earth Like Rather Loosely if you ask me. The best they can have is a basic Idea as to it's size, and mass. It's Position in relation to it's Star, and the size and power of Said star, and maybe through light spectrum Analysis possible a very Rudimentary idea of Some of the Gasses present in the Atmosphere.

So don't start Packing your Bags yet, the chances that it is in fact habitable By Human Life are still very slim. There are far more Factors that Made Life Possible on earth than just Oxygen, Water, and Location. To many Factors to list, that all had to be just so, to assume this Planet is anything but a Hostile Environment.

Just a few of the less known "Key Factors" To life on Earth.

1 large moon (relative to the Size of the Planet) Which over Millions of Years slowed the Rotation of the Earth, and made our Climate Mild. Our Relatively Large Single Moon also acts as a Shield, Helping take Cosmic Hits instead of the Earth.

2 Our Tilt on our Axis, With out which Earth would have no seasons and the Poles would Freeze while the Middle Fried.

3 Three massive Gas Giants (Jupiter, Saturn, and Uranus) Positioned to act like Giant Asteroid and Comet Magnets further Shielding Earth.

4 A Strong and Pretty Constant Magnetic Field Which Saves us from Frying from Solar Radiation.

Sorry lol I was Bored.

You're really fucking up our liberal friends ideas of conservatives and science.

Stop it. Lol

Forum List

Back