Earth-like planet discovered in 'habitable' zone

Discussion in 'Politics' started by get_involved, Dec 9, 2011.

1. get_involved

get_involved Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +565
  2. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,260
    Half the size of Neptune. Likely has deep oceans of 500+ miles deep as it is likely a warm neptune. NOT earth! Neptune is a ice giant, but where this is at it would be a ocean giant(I'd assume). Now, I don't believe such couldn't have life within them. Imagine for a second what such a ocean could have within it. The creatures could be (tens)miles in size!:eek:

Life started on earth within the ocean and could easily start here.

"warm Neptune",[7] depending on its actual mass.[6] Since it is substantially larger than Earth, it is likely to have a different composition. If it is mostly ocean with a small rocky core, Natalie Batalha, one of the scientists on the project, speculated "it's not beyond the realm of possibility that life could exist in such an ocean."[8] This possibility of life has spurred SETI to perform research on top candidates for extraterrestrial intelligence.[9]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler-22b

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  3. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Wow, another planet full of shovel ready projects.

4. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,260
    Don't let the fact that it is a small neptune make you think it couldn't have a huge ocean full of life. But, we will not know.

I'd likely not want to fuck with such life as it would be massive.

5. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Really think they would be massive? I have always been told, and assumed it true, that the physics of such large creatures was impossible. That their body mass wouldn't be able to sustain itself, it would literally crush under itself. We were watching a special on giant monsters in the movies. They paraded all these biologists and physicists out to prove that there was no way you could have giant lizards, spiders, or people. Maybe if they were in the water that stuff might not aply they never discussed water creatures.

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    SETI's latest quest is to find money to look for E.T.'s...
    :eusa_eh:
    Search for Aliens Is on Again, but Next Quest Is Finding Money
    January 29, 2012 — E.T. might be phoning, but do we care enough to take the call?

7. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    With our current abilities to actually know what is there. They are using the Term Earth Like Rather Loosely if you ask me. The best they can have is a basic Idea as to it's size, and mass. It's Position in relation to it's Star, and the size and power of Said star, and maybe through light spectrum Analysis possible a very Rudimentary idea of Some of the Gasses present in the Atmosphere.

So don't start Packing your Bags yet, the chances that it is in fact habitable By Human Life are still very slim. There are far more Factors that Made Life Possible on earth than just Oxygen, Water, and Location. To many Factors to list, that all had to be just so, to assume this Planet is anything but a Hostile Environment.

Just a few of the less known "Key Factors" To life on Earth.

1 large moon (relative to the Size of the Planet) Which over Millions of Years slowed the Rotation of the Earth, and made our Climate Mild. Our Relatively Large Single Moon also acts as a Shield, Helping take Cosmic Hits instead of the Earth.

2 Our Tilt on our Axis, With out which Earth would have no seasons and the Poles would Freeze while the Middle Fried.

3 Three massive Gas Giants (Jupiter, Saturn, and Uranus) Positioned to act like Giant Asteroid and Comet Magnets further Shielding Earth.

4 A Strong and Pretty Constant Magnetic Field Which Saves us from Frying from Solar Radiation.

Sorry lol I was Bored.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  8. Jeremy

Jeremy TRANSFER!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    politics?

:lmao:

9. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,974
    You're really fucking up our liberal friends ideas of conservatives and science.

Stop it. Lol

10. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,974
    Half the posts in politics have 0 to do with politics. At least this one isn't full of hate filled rhetoric.........yet