Dude - Ubuntu 9.10 is out

If you have a cd burner, you can download the ISO in about an hour or so, and burn a cd.

What ISP do you have that took it an hour to download!!?? When I downloaded my 9.04 I think it took about 5 minutes to download and burn.

I have AT & T DSL. At 1:30pm, I was pulling about 104 - 140 kps. Servers may have been busy. I have never been able to download 700 megs in 5 minutes. lol

Edited to add: I just did a speed test. My service is for 3mps on the down and I think 30 - 35 mps on the up.

Download Speed: 2840 kbps (355 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 322 kbps (40.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
My speed test pegs out a just under 5mbps. I download at around 140kb and it is going to take a full 87 minutes according to My download manager. May take less, may take more. Depends on who is online in My neighborhood. A downfall of cable internet.

I'm considering installing this. What would it take to put Microsoft Office 2007 on Ubuntu? I know Ubuntu comes with OpenOffice, but I'm not interested in that. I'm addicted to Excel.

Also, my iPhone requires iTunes, which isn't compatible with Ubuntu, right? I guess I could run Windows 7 on a virtual machine, but I don't have my Beta disc for Windows 7...and I really don't want to buy it right now.

I don't think you could run MS Office in Wine on Ubuntu. KK would know better but my gut feeling is that it just wouldn't work. I also can't tell you if the spreadsheet function in OO is akin, better to, inferior to, Excel. I have MS Office at work and I have transferred .doc, .ppt and Excel files to OO at home and I have had a few problems with formatting and other issues, so while it is pretty compatible I don't think OO is quite the match for MS Office, but then at the price of OO I am not complaining :D

Well, I installed using the Windows installer, and after going through the whole installation, it won't boot up. What gives?

I have never used Wubi so I can't describe any experiences with it and I don't run a dual Windows/Ubuntu system so can't help there either. I have read about this though and it usually comes down to the conflict between the Windows boot and the Ubuntu boot mechanisms. I know, I know, Captain Obvious. Problem is I can't help you with it unfortunately. You may check Ubuntu forums though and check in the area where installation problems are discussed. I would think you wouldn't need to post a query just search because there would be previous threads on this problem.

Ubuntu Forums

Installation & Upgrades - Ubuntu Forums

I'm considering installing this. What would it take to put Microsoft Office 2007 on Ubuntu? I know Ubuntu comes with OpenOffice, but I'm not interested in that. I'm addicted to Excel.

Also, my iPhone requires iTunes, which isn't compatible with Ubuntu, right? I guess I could run Windows 7 on a virtual machine, but I don't have my Beta disc for Windows 7...and I really don't want to buy it right now.

Don't need it. ;) Open Office 3.0 opens everything ever made up until January 2009 now. iTunes will work on Ubuntu, you don't actually use iTunes, Apple released the drivers to Linux coders, there's a lot of apps to choose from that will access iTunes. There are very few problems with 9.04 ... almost all of it is now automated (just don't change the default settings in Synaptic). Strangely you can install Ubuntu onto a Mac flawlessly as well (though why you would is beyond me ... but meh) so anything from Apple has a mirrored app in Linux/Ubuntu, you just have to ask on a forum with an Ubuntu user (I'm happy to help when I can) or on Ubuntu.com ... us freelance programmers love to help.

Well, I installed using the Windows installer, and after going through the whole installation, it won't boot up. What gives?

Should have done a dual boot instead, I tried Wubi and it doesn't seem to work well on many machines. You should be able to boot with the live CD for Windoze or Ubuntu to correct any errors. The problem I saw was in partitioning, Windoze hates partitioning, if you can't install through the live CD try hooking up a USB mass storage device (pen drive, flash drive, even some cameras can work as one) ... that's how I got it on my old laptop.

Don't need it. ;) Open Office 3.0 opens everything ever made up until January 2009 now.

You missed the part where I said I don't like Open Office. I've used it, and it's nothing compared to Microsoft Office. The functions/features are not comparable to what I can do with Excel. And since most of my job is done on Excel, I have no intentions of changing.

Should have done a dual boot instead, I tried Wubi and it doesn't seem to work well on many machines. You should be able to boot with the live CD for Windoze or Ubuntu to correct any errors. The problem I saw was in partitioning, Windoze hates partitioning, if you can't install through the live CD try hooking up a USB mass storage device (pen drive, flash drive, even some cameras can work as one) ... that's how I got it on my old laptop.

I really don't want to go through that much trouble to test drive Ubuntu. That's why I used wubi.

I really don't want to go through that much trouble to test drive Ubuntu. That's why I used wubi.

You can test drive it without actually installing it. You can run it from the cd.

And yes, you can run Microsoft Office in Ubuntu via a program called WINE.

Don't need it. ;) Open Office 3.0 opens everything ever made up until January 2009 now.

You missed the part where I said I don't like Open Office. I've used it, and it's nothing compared to Microsoft Office. The functions/features are not comparable to what I can do with Excel. And since most of my job is done on Excel, I have no intentions of changing.

It is "different" in it's usage, yes, all apps are different depending on who writes them, you have to adjust to new ones eventually anyway. It can do everything Excel can now, as I said, since 3.0 a lot of contributions improved it drastically. However, it runs like shit in Windoze, Windoze doesn't like Java much at all, especially full apps like OO. In Ubuntu it runs smoothly and has more features available due to fewer OS widget restrictions. ;) Sometimes you have to keep up with the updates, OO is pretty new compared to other office packages.

A lot of the add-ins I have for Excel are not available for Open Office. It's practically useless to me.

Um ... the functions of said add-ins are probably available in ones made for Open Office ... as I say though, it's personal choice, just that Open Office is capable of everything Microsoft Office can do ... and more. MS-Office cannot write PDF formats (well) unless you pay for it, Open Office does this well for free, Excel's support for MySQL is shoddy (even after paying for it) while Open Office can access it flawlessly by default. Open Office has a horrible "draw" program and text graphics ... but you can just use Gimp and import to bypass that. Just don't write it off right away ... try working with it during your spare time, you will find it's far more comprehensive than people think. ;)

I've worked with it plenty. The fact remains is that it cannot do what I do with Excel. And what I do with Excel is not what you do with Excel.

I've worked with it plenty. The fact remains is that it cannot do what I do with Excel. And what I do with Excel is not what you do with Excel.

I can assure you, that if you list all the things you have been unable to do in Open Office, most of them I will find an add on that can do it. ;) Most of what Excel does is because of its add ons, they are not default code since most people don't need everything.

Forum List

Back