Elive linux distribution

Steerpike

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2007
I'm checking out the latest development version of Elive. It is a debian-based system that uses Enlightenment.

It's really a beautiful-looking distro. Installation was easy, and it passed my first test which is 'out of the box' recognition of my laptop's Broadcom wireless.

So far no trouble with it. It's the development version, so I expect a few issues, but no real complaints in terms of stability, elegance, etc. Packages install easily. Only real qualm so far is that OpenOffice 2.4 rather than 3 is what you get via Synaptic. I tried downloading the debs for OpenOffice 3 but I can't seem to get them to work properly. Also, Opera is 9.6 instead of 10.

But if you want a distro just to mess around with, check it out.

Oh...and the reason I didn't download the stable version is the developer requires a donation to download it, which I think is a mistake. But the distro does look very nice.

The donation isn't for OpenOffice, it's for the Elive linux distribution. At least if you want the stable release. For the development release I didn't need to donate.

I tried the manual install of OO3 already. It didn't work. I'm missing some dependencies I think, so I'd need to find them and add the repos. But I'm not worried about it. Linux Mint is my OS of choice, I'm just playing with Elive.

The donation isn't for OpenOffice, it's for the Elive linux distribution. At least if you want the stable release. For the development release I didn't need to donate.

I tried the manual install of OO3 already. It didn't work. I'm missing some dependencies I think, so I'd need to find them and add the repos. But I'm not worried about it. Linux Mint is my OS of choice, I'm just playing with Elive.

Aaah ... then that's a problem. Requiring a donation no longer makes it a donation, but meh. That's why I am sticking with Ubuntu personally. As for the dependencies, did you try downloading the libraries through Mint's Synaptic (or on the Ubuntu server) then just copying the files? First I should ask, do you know how to manually install such libraries in Linux yet? It's still a bit over complicated IMO ... but it helps sometimes.

Forum List

Back