Dubai demands all ports be secure

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dilloduck, Feb 25, 2006.

1. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060225/ap_on_go_pr_wh/ports_security

A DP World executive said the company would agree to tougher security restrictions to win congressional support only if the same restrictions applied to all U.S. port operators. The company earlier had struck a more conciliatory stance, saying it would do whatever Bush asked to salvage the agreement.

"Security is everybody's business," senior vice president Michael Moore told The Associated Press. "We're going to have a very open mind to legitimate concerns. But anything we can do, any way to improve security, should apply to everybody equally."

The administration approved the ports deal on Jan. 17 after DP World agreed during secret negotiations to cooperate with law enforcement investigations in the future and make other concessions.

Some lawmakers have challenged the adequacy of a classified intelligence assessment crucial to assuring the administration that the deal was proper. The report was assembled during four weeks in November by analysts working for the director of national intelligence.

The report concluded that U.S. spy agencies were "unable to locate any derogatory information on the company," according to a person familiar with the document. This person spoke only on condition of anonymity because the report was classified.

more in article

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    That's comforting, but I still don't like the deal. It's a government owned company, and governments in general aren't known for either their honesty or efficiency.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree with his point, the same rules should apply to all. I heard Tony Snow this afternoon and his questioning of Tommy Franks, who I respect. While I still am for 'Americanizing' all essential to safety areas, perhaps in the meantime, they should be able to run the port, until something else is arranged by all:

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/117412

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The initial reports I read all came from blogs, they really weren't anywhere else. Why doesn't the administration follow these, so they can get out ahead of a huge problem?

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB114083733126683342-lMyQjAxMDE2NDIwNDgyMzQ3Wj.html

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Seems to me they're are saying, "Do it our way".
    Pretty arogant for a Country that doesn't even have the contract yet, ain't it? Hold bold will they be IF they do get it?

6. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    maybe a little smoke screen...I can see it comming down the pike...DP World recieves go ahead and then sub-contracts the running of the six ports to non-other than...HALLIBURTON Inc....

DP World executive nominated for a prestigious US Government position by GW! www.dpiterminals.com/fullnews.asp?NewsID=39

side note:all over the blogs...interesting that al Quaeda is attacking Saudi Arabian interest but not UAE! Just a little food for thought!

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually it's 21, not 6 ports.

http://www.themoderatevoice.com/posts/1140890495.shtml

This is the fault of the administration, not UAE:

8. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    And more for shudderdom. Personally I think the government needs to get together all factions and decide those arenas that should be US companies/citizens only, but that's my opinion. On the other hand, considering that UAE helped us out mightily in Afghanistan post 9/11, according to Tommy Franks, they deserve the same treatment given any others allowed at the ports. Again my take, the ports should ONLY be in American hands, all aspects, citizens all:

http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/64126.htm

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I see the chicken littles are at it again.