Drug testing for welfare

I inspect Section 8 housing in one county of Ohio. Catching cheaters on that program is a full time job, not to mention the housing code violations. Checking for drug use of every person taking welfare benefits would require a staff of full time workers, administrators and legal aides. All while Conservatives are calling for smaller government and less spending.

This scheme, promoted by Conservatives, is nothing more than a witch hunt in priest's garments.

All those things have been tried. What are the results? In rare instances, the person may recover and become useful. It all comes down to the old saying, "you can lead a horse to water..." By propping up the dregs, all we do is enable the greatest number of them to continue their self-destructive behavior. Nature has a way of dealing with creatures that fail to develop the skills needed to survive. As it stands, they are not, nor will most ever be, capable of contributing to society overall. As a matter of fact, by subsidizing people who demonstrate the lack of self interest, we do more to damage the social structure.

Law enforcement, prosecutors and Judges ALL AGREE that drug counseling and treatment is the most effective way to go.
Politicians that answer to the dumb masses ignore them in most instances.

So we provide counseling and treatment. How many times do we do that per "customer" before we finally say enough is enough?

Once and then the slammer. Recitivism is about 1/5 with treatment and counseling than without it.

Well, yes. The 150k is only the cost of the test themselves.

And the beauty is, it catches pot users in its net, but crack and meth users can pass more easily, since it stays in our system 2 to 3 days, while pot takes a month or more to be undetectable.

Ain't life ironic. LOL

No wonder you dont support drug tests! Your a meth/crackhead! lol

Just a methhead!!! Not crack.

Jeez; give me some respect. :)

And the beauty is, it catches pot users in its net, but crack and meth users can pass more easily, since it stays in our system 2 to 3 days, while pot takes a month or more to be undetectable.

Ain't life ironic. LOL

No wonder you dont support drug tests! Your a meth/crackhead! lol

Just a methhead!!! Not crack.

Jeez; give me some respect. :)

I hope you picked up on that. My italics didn't work out 2 well lol

I get drug tested to earn money.... but it's a problem to get drug tested to be given money?

Your employer medling in your private life is your affair. The government doing it is not the same thing.

Drug testing is mandated by government for some jobs. Both the DOT and FAA have mandates that dictate I submit to random drug and alcohol screening in order to keep my job. I agree to this in order to have my job. I see no problem with establishing regulations that require those applying for public assistance agree to the same standards.

There is also the issue of people's whose ID's aren't accepted.

Student IDs
Out of state ID's
Those who have moved
Or women who have gotten married

There is almost no information on my DL that is correct. My name is different, my address is different, it's even the wrong state. I go to the DMV to get a new one, and they send me away.It's not expired, so you dont need to renew it.

Wow! Too lazy to update your information? Do they charge extra for that where you are?
Did you post before you read what I wrote?

I apologize, that was an unwarranted attack.

Would be awfully expensive.

Why not! just think of all the money we would save. My guess is that the dealers would be a little pissed off but then again they don't pay taxes either. Dam it's our money why not, we have a zero tolerance policy so why not the Government?

It’s illegal, for starters…

And there’s no evidence those receiving public assistance are any more likely to use drugs than the population in general.

The vast majority of drug addicts who are on welfare are ALCOHOLICS.

Does that matter to anyone?

Of course not.

Nope. This is basically the same sort of issue as the voter id nonsense. The point is to make it more painful to be on welfare. Just as the voter id movement had nothing to do with voter fraud, and everything to do with minimizing the number of Democrats voting, the welfare drug testing is a threat to minimize the number of people who apply for welfare.

Minimizing the welfare state is not a bad goal, in my view, but this is the worst possible way to go about it and only further establishes the nanny state - something conservatives are nominally against.

It should be painful to be on the public dole. Once upon a time, a man would do almost any kind of work to keep his family fed, housed, and clothed. Now, too many families on welfare lack any adult male influence of any decent consequence.

I'm still trying to figure out why Dems are so stupid, lazy, ignorant, or disinterested to be able to get a photo ID. Especially your 'poor' on the public dole. Most places require positive ID to receive benefits.

Just as everyone else is still trying to figure out why conservatives are so stupid, lazy, ignorant, or disinterested to be able to understand simple concepts such as equal protection and due process.

Again, it is un-Constitutional to single-out a particular class of persons and subject them to some sort of punitive measure motivated solely by animus.

Forum List

Back