Drug testing for welfare

First off, drug use is against the law. Criminals lose rights.

Hmm... well if law enforcement is the concern it's a completely different discussion. In that case, it's worth pointing out that criminals don't lose their rights until they've been proven guilty. I also have to ask, then, why you're targeting welfare recipients? Why not just drug test everyone?

Second, people that are getting welfare are not paying anything in.

You're assuming people on welfare don't pay any taxes? That they never have and never will? Don't you think that's a bit of a stretch?

Third, it's a constitutional right to be a goddamn crackhead?

I'd argue it is, but I doubt the current Court would agree. In any case, there are plenty of other rights that this proposal clearly tramples. The right to due process, the right to privacy, the right to be presumed innocent until proven otherwise, etc... Pretty basic stuff really.

Last edited:
First off, drug use is against the law. Criminals lose rights.

Hmm... well if law enforcement is the concern it's a completely different discussion. In that case, it's worth pointing out that criminals don't lose their rights until they've been proven guilty. I also have to ask, then, why you're targeting welfare recipients? Why not just drug test everyone?

Second, people that are getting welfare are not paying anything in.

You're assuming people on welfare don't pay any taxes? That they never have and never will? Don't you think that's a bit of a stretch?

Third, it's a constitutional right to be a goddamn crackhead?

I'd argue it does, but I doubt the current Court would agree. In any case, there are plenty of other rights that this proposal clearly tramples. The right to due process, the right to privacy, the right to be presumed innocent until proven otherwise, etc... Pretty basic stuff really.

Pretty sure if they fail a drug test is means they do drugs. Well maybe someone melted that shit down, put it in a needle and stuck them in their sleep? I guess thats possible.. lol
This is about giving welfare recipients drug tests because they abuse it. WTF does "everyone" have to do with it?

Pretty sure if they fail a drug test is means they do drugs. Well maybe someone melted that shit down, put it in a needle and stuck them in their sleep? I guess thats possible.. lol
This is about giving welfare recipients drug tests because they abuse it. WTF does "everyone" have to do with it?

That's backasswards. It's not "guilty until proven innocent". The state has no right to search or detain us unless their is reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed. Are you saying that applying for welfare is reason to suspect someone of a drug crime?

That's backasswards. It's not "guilty until proven innocent". The state has no right to search or detain us unless their is reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed. Are you saying that applying for welfare is reason to suspect someone of a drug crime?

Oh My Fuckin God. No, I am saying if they fail the drug test they are drugheads. I am saying they dont deserve that free money because all they care about is getting fucked up. I am saying either you are an idiot, or you just ant reading this shit. Your attention span must be the size of your dick because you cant seem to comprehend the goddamn subject. I mean really, WTF are you even talkin about?

...I am saying if they fail the drug test they are drugheads...

We're not there yet. The question is whether they should be required to take the test in the first place. We seem to agree this involves forfeiting their fourth amendment rights. The question is, why should people who apply for welfare lose these basic rights? The implication is that they are 'presumed guilty' merely by applying for assistance in the first place, and begin with less rights than other citizens.

...I am saying if they fail the drug test they are drugheads...

We're not there yet. The question is whether they should be required to take the test in the first place. We seem to agree this involves forfeiting their fourth amendment rights. The question is, why should people who apply for welfare lose these basic rights? The implication is that they are 'presumed guilty' merely by applying for assistance in the first place, and begin with less rights than other citizens.

Because they are on welfare. Thats why! I mean you have to be broke to get food stamps. Why not be drug-free as well? I mean, if you pay taxes, it does not bother you that people are getting YOUR money, that you worked for, to deprive their children, themselves etc because they would rather hit the crack pipe? Requirements are requirements. Plain and fuckin simple. They are not presumed guilty because they are applying for assistance. And no we dont agree it is forfeiting their 4th amendment rights. I like how you take my words, fuck the shit out out of them and take their aids havin ass to the dumpster.

What do you guys think about FL doing the drug testing requirement? I say HELL YEA! 56 more states to go!

If it's a first time applicant I say no....
If someone is on it for years and I have no idea why that would be allowed then some kind of investigation and drug screening is warranted. :clap2:

Dumb ass rw's never get around to asking who is paying for it.

Who paid for Obama's bailout, and Obamacare? Did whomeever paid for it get asked for their opinion, or was it just blue-lighted by Obama, without transparency.

Thanks asswipe.

Who paid for Bush's Iraq and Afghanistan wars? No one asked the general taxpayers for their opinion.

Well we the people voted them dems and repubs to do our deciding for us. They all wanted it, they got it

I think we should drug test anyone who receives government assistance

If you are getting welfare, you should not be spending money on drugs. If you test positive, no check for you!

If you are a farmer and get government subsidies, you should be required to get drug tests. We are paying you to farm, not do drugs

If you own a corporation and are getting government contracts, you should be drug tested. We don't want government contracts going to people on drugs

If you claim a child deduction on your taxes you should be drug tested before you qualify for the tax deduction. Why should you pay less in taxes when you just use the money for drugs?

I am an equal opportunity drug tester

The vast majority of drug addicts who are on welfare are ALCOHOLICS.

Does that matter to anyone?

Of course not.

Of course not.

Nope. This is basically the same sort of issue as the voter id nonsense. The point is to make it more painful to be on welfare. Just as the voter id movement had nothing to do with voter fraud, and everything to do with minimizing the number of Democrats voting, the welfare drug testing is a threat to minimize the number of people who apply for welfare.

Minimizing the welfare state is not a bad goal, in my view, but this is the worst possible way to go about it and only further establishes the nanny state - something conservatives are nominally against.

Of course not.

Nope. This is basically the same sort of issue as the voter id nonsense. The point is to make it more painful to be on welfare. Just as the voter id movement had nothing to do with voter fraud, and everything to do with minimizing the number of Democrats voting, the welfare drug testing is a threat to minimize the number of people who apply for welfare.

Minimizing the welfare state is not a bad goal, in my view, but this is the worst possible way to go about it and only further establishes the nanny state - something conservatives are nominally against.

Why would voter id stop democrats from voting?

Of course not.

Why would voter id stop democrats from voting?

The poor don't drive and are thus less likely to have sufficient photo-ID; and the poor also trend Democrat. Thus voter ID laws suppress votes that would trend Democrat, which is known to Republican politicos who advocate it, and also to Democrat politicos who oppose it.

None too complicated, I'd think.

Last edited:
All DMVs issue photo IDs.

Sure. But not all voters get them; and the ones that do not tend to vote Dem. That's why Reps have woodies the size of North Dakota at the thought of barring voters who lack photo IDs.

Shouldn't be too tough to grasp, I'd think.

There is also the issue of people's whose ID's aren't accepted.

Student IDs
Out of state ID's
Those who have moved
Or women who have gotten married

There is almost no information on my DL that is correct. My name is different, my address is different, it's even the wrong state. I go to the DMV to get a new one, and they send me away. It's not expired, so you dont need to renew it.

Drug testing for welfare would cost tens of millions of dollars and maybe catch 5% if that.
NFL has drug testing. JOKE.
College football has drug testing. Friends of my son play D-1 college ball and they tell me over 50% of the players smoke weed.
Military has drug testing. JOKE.

Drug testing, great idea but in reality, THE REAL WORLD, only a fool believes drug testing will work.
Another feel good attempt at nothing.

I suspect they care as much about themselves as you do yourself. It's kinda human nature. But they're sick due to an addiction, and we have to decide, if as society, we throw these people to the wayside or help them become more valuable members of the society.

OK, I'm open, how do we decide to help them become more valuable members of society?

Get them drug counseling, food assistance, housing assistance, school or training. Other beneficiaries are drug counselors, food store, real estate companies who take section 8 and trade shcools etc that teach.

All those things have been tried. What are the results? In rare instances, the person may recover and become useful. It all comes down to the old saying, "you can lead a horse to water..." By propping up the dregs, all we do is enable the greatest number of them to continue their self-destructive behavior. Nature has a way of dealing with creatures that fail to develop the skills needed to survive. As it stands, they are not, nor will most ever be, capable of contributing to society overall. As a matter of fact, by subsidizing people who demonstrate the lack of self interest, we do more to damage the social structure.

Forum List

Back