DOT to Propose Requirements for Airlines to Cover Expenses and Compensate Stranded Passengers

Burgermeister

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2021
What does a federal government do when inflation is raging? This.

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) today announced plans to launch a new rulemaking that is aimed at requiring airlines to provide compensation and cover expenses for amenities such as meals, hotels, and rebooking when airlines are responsible for stranding passengers.

This is another example of how you tax without constitutional authority.

The whole Cloward-Piven thing is happening.

All this will do is force airline providers to minimize their services so this outcome is .. minimal. This will equate to: Higher ticket prices ... more inconvenience e.g.multiple stops ... and minimal route availability.

The country is under an invasion of illegals and that stupid old POS Biden is worried about airline passengers being inconvenienced?

:laughing0301:

All this will do is force airline providers to minimize their services so this outcome is .. minimal. This will equate to: Higher ticket prices ... more inconvenience e.g.multiple stops ... and minimal route availability.
Yep. Only bad things happen when the government meddles in the market. Once again, a liberal policy will make worse the condition they claim to be trying to fix.

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) today announced plans to launch a new rulemaking that is aimed at requiring airlines to provide compensation and cover expenses for amenities such as meals, hotels, and rebooking when airlines are responsible for stranding passengers.

If it's the airlines fault I don't see a problem with this. I consider an airline ticket a contract. If I pay for it I expect the service to be rendered. If you buy a product and it is defective wouldn't you want compensation ?

If it's the airlines fault I don't see a problem with this. I consider an airline ticket a contract. If I pay for it I expect the service to be rendered. If you buy a product and it is defective wouldn't you want compensation ?
They already give compensation, and it is figured into everyone's ticket. It is a response to the market. When the government imposes arbitrary remedies based on what they think will garner more votes, the market economy ceases to work and both cost and service will suffer. This is basic shit that should not have to be reiterated. Please read Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics if you are still confused.

This makes absolute sense. Airlines intentionally overbook flights. If they sell more tickets than they have seats they should be responsible for the costs of those who do not get the product they paid for.

This makes absolute sense. Airlines intentionally overbook flights. If they sell more tickets than they have seats they should be responsible for the costs of those who do not get the product they paid for.
At the very least make every federal official from the rank of cabinet sec down fly commercial like everyone else except the pres and vice pres

We;re from the government, we;re here to help you

Anyone with two brain cells to rub together to create a spark knows any .gov mandated costs will be passed right on to the customer.

I don't know, maybe it's a good thing as higher prices will keep more of the "great unwashed" out of the skies.

Make Greyhound great again. ;)

So you're saying if I buy a car and it has problems the dealer or automaker should have to compensate me? That's ridiculous.

They should fix the car or replace it. But I don't deserve extra. I just deserve to get what I paid for.

If I buy an airline ticket and something happens that's beyond the airlines control then they should make sure I still get where I'm going. I paid for a ticket to destination X so I should get to destination X, and the airline does that. They don't say "flight was cancelled, you'll have to buy a new ticket".

And you "considering something " and reality are not the same thing. Just because you consider something a contract doesn't mean it's a contract with your own personal rules and regulations built in.

So you're saying if I buy a car and it has problems the dealer or automaker should have to compensate me? That's ridiculous.

They should fix the car or replace it. But I don't deserve extra. I just deserve to get what I paid for.

I paid for a flight on the 17th. If I get there on the 17th and the airline overbooked the flight, I can't get what I paid for.

The airline should be responsible for my additional costs.

If I buy an airline ticket and something happens that's beyond the airlines control then they should make sure I still get where I'm going. I paid for a ticket to destination X so I should get to destination X, and the airline does that. They don't say "flight was cancelled, you'll have to buy a new ticket".

And you "considering something " and reality are not the same thing. Just because you consider something a contract doesn't mean it's a contract with your own personal rules and regulations built in.

Overbooking a flight is within their control.

As authoritarian governments evolve, they make it more difficult for their peasants' mobility. Flying is already affected as we know. Travel on the seas has a lot of government interference and can be denied at this point. Personal vehicles are the one they are working on now. For most people it is a feeling of freedom to drive. Even with the aggravations.

While I do not agree with the new Regs, they do not apply to things outside of the airline's control.

Forum List

Back