Don't Forget the Laptop When Going To the Beach

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Oh no, there is NO escape:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72371-0.html?tw=wn_index_2

Wi-Fi is like sand -- it gets everywhere. If you're toting your laptop to some sunny paradise this winter, you'll find you can combine body surfing, board surfing and web surfing at hundreds of public beaches all over the world.

Already standard at hotels, resorts, campgrounds and RV parks, there are an estimated quarter of a million Wi-Fi hotspots and counting, according to chipmaker Intel. Surfing those microwaves are the 53 percent of vacation travelers who, in a recent Harris Poll, admitted they take their laptops on their exotic getaways to stay in touch with the boss, the family and the sitters, to send photos and e-mail, and to check weather and travel plans as they go.

Jacksonville, Florida, probably had the first beach catering to those tele-vacationers, installing Wi-Fi service over its white sand in 2001. Since then, beaches from Australia to Barbados have added wireless service as part of the amenities.

I've always wanted to be able to work at the beach... meaning it would be my office! :)

and now you can! I did some of my best lesson plans on Vero Beach! (Sand is a nuisance though in the textbooks. ;) )

Forum List

Back