Donavon

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Surprised there are no threads of this iconic singer/songwriter.
If you have not heard of him, you have certainly heard one of his hits.
Very much a part of the early rock scene of the 1960s-70s.

Not his biggest hit by far - but one of my favorites he did:

Donovan became a muslim at an early age, didn't he?

But I always liked this song of his best (turn it up loud):

Hurdy Gurdy is another awesome one. Both are better than Mellow Yellow, his biggest hit.
And I totally agree - the best way to listen to this song is loud, there is a lot going on in the background.

And I am not aware he was a muslim, I do not believe so.
Like the Beatles, he went to India and got involved in all that meditation and humming guru stuff.
In an interview he said he believes in Jesus Christ, but doesn't think traditional religion is necessary to attain salvation.

Hurdy Gurdy is another awesome one. Both are better than Mellow Yellow, his biggest hit.
Mellow Yellow was alright. It was an eclectic song. I think I got that song on one of my very first 45s. Might still have it.

And I totally agree - the best way to listen to this song is loud, there is a lot going on in the background.
I have a 3,000 watt stereo that plays cleanly with zero distortion at 130dB. Donovan rocks.

No, I guess I was trying to think of Cat Stevens, who also had some nice hits.

Like the Beatles, he went to India and got involved in all that meditation and humming guru stuff.
In an interview he said he believes in Jesus Christ, but doesn't think traditional religion is necessary to attain salvation.
Cat Stevens?

I never subscribed to the accusation that he pirated and copied Dylan.
As Donovan said in an interview "I sounded like Dylan for about 5 minutes, others made a career trying to sound like him"
Dylan said in an interview he wanted to meet Donovan, and was excited when the opportunity came about. He dismissed the notion that Donovan sounded like him by asking "should it be a surprise, we are fans of the same musicians"

Surprised there are no threads of this iconic singer/songwriter.
If you have not heard of him, you have certainly heard one of his hits.
Very much a part of the early rock scene of the 1960s-70s.

Not his biggest hit by far - but one of my favorites he did:

I was actually named after him. Yes, my first name is Donovan.

Forum List

Back