Donald Trump is correct on taxing China at our Water’s edge!

johnwk

Gold Member
May 24, 2009
SEE: Donald Trump calls for a 25% tariff on Chinese products

Donald Trump's thinking on this issue is in line with our Founding Fathers thinking. And our Founding Fathers use of its power over commerce and taxation was very much responsible for America becoming the economic marvel of the world. Unfortunately our modern-day Congress has become infested with disloyal money hungry members who are more than willing to sell out America to foreign manufactures to personally profit in the process! When these members of Congress talk about “free trade”, they are talking about allowing foreign manufactures to freely flood our market with untaxed cheap inferior goods which are produced under slave labor conditions, while Congress then freely taxes America’s manufactures, industries and labor via income taxation to fill its national treasury which increases the production costs of American manufactures goods. That is what “free traders” mean on Capitol Hill when they talk about “free trade” ___ soak the American people and give a free ride to foreign manufactured goods. Is there any wonder why most of America's manufacturers have fled America?

By contrast, instead of taxing our domestic manufactures, industries and labor to fill our national treasury, our founding fathers taxed at our water’s edge as a first means to raise a federal revenue and had foreigners paying for the privilege of doing business on America soil, just as one does when selling their goods and wares at a flea market! What a novel idea … an America first policy which begins at our water’s edge!

Madison sums up our trade policy as follows during the creation of our Nation‘s first revenue raising Act

“…a national revenue must be obtained; but the system must be such a one, that, while it secures the object of revenue it shall not be oppressive to our constituents.”

The Act went on to tax specifically chosen imported articles and not one dime was raised by taxing American domestic manufacturers, the working man’s wage, or the returns on invested capital ___ all of which contributed enormously to America becoming the economic marvel of the world! It should also be noted the Act was signed by George Washington on July 4th, 1789, as if to give England a second notice of America’s independence while exercising her power to tax foreign imports in order to fill our national treasury.

In addition to imposing a specific amount of tax on specifically chosen articles imported, our founding fathers imposed an across-the-board tax on imports which was higher for imports arriving in foreign owned foreign built vessels, and discounted the tax for imports arriving in American owned American built ships:

"...a discount of ten percent on all duties imposed by this Act shall be allowed on such goods, wares, and merchandise as shall be imported in vessels built in the United States, and wholly the property of a citizen or citizens thereof." see: An Act imposing duties on Tonnage July 20, 1789

This patriotic use of taxing at our water’s edge not only filled our national treasury, but gave American ship builders a hometown advantage and predictably resulted in America's ship building industry to flourish and America’s merchant marine to become the most powerful on the face of the planet. Unfortunately, last time I visited the docks in New York's Hell's Kitchen area, I was very saddened that I could no longer read the names on the docked ships as they all seem to now be foreign owned foreign built vessels...an irrefutable sign of America's decline traceable to the ravages of our international “free trade crowd” and the sellout of America’s sovereignty to the highest international bidders.

I believe if Donald Trump continues to defend America’s best interests as he does with promoting a tariff on China’s goods. and also offers real tax reform by proposing to withdraw Congress’ power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains and other incomes and supports the Fair Share Balanced Budget Amendment, he will most likely be embraced by the American People as opposed to our Washington Establishment Candidates like Rubio, Cruz and Paul, each of whom is determined to keep the immoral and arbitrary tax calculated from incomes alive which has proven to be a failed experiment and which our federal government has defiantly used for nefarious purposes, and particularly as a weapon against the American People!

JWK

“Honest money and honest taxation, the Key to America’s future Prosperity“ ___ from “Prosperity Restored by the State Rate Tax Plan”, no longer in print.

Or perhaps an 'imbalance of payments' tax; sounds nicer than 'protective tariff'.

Sounds good to me.

Freaking Reds shouldn't have most favored nation trading status.

The Act went on to tax specifically chosen imported articles and not one dime was raised by taxing American domestic manufacturers, the working man’s wage

When you raise the price of the working man's purchases, doesn't that have the same effect as taxing his wages?

How much do you want to pay for your cell phone? Computer? Or any of the other gazillion products we get from China?

But hey, at the Washington Correspondent's Dinner, Trump hinted he might run for prez. He won't but gotta say, it would be fun.

Smoot-Hawley.

Look it up, geniuses
That is a good argument..
However, you are negating a few things. First, S/H was a broad tarriff on every country. Second, we didn't have the type of trade deficits we have with China. The largest trade 0.
deficit between two countries in the history of the world is between US and China and 2nd place isn't even close!
How much do you want to pay for your cell phone? Computer? Or any of the other gazillion products we get from China?

But hey, at the Washington Correspondent's Dinner, Trump hinted he might run for prez. He won't but gotta say, it would be fun.
You are a funny little man! If a Republican says it then you must fight against it 1000%, but if a Democrat says the same things, you support it 1000%. I bet you support all the minimum wage increase protests, what do you think that will do to the price of a burger.

Also earth to ignorant. Look it up. It is now more expensive to manufacture in China and deliver to US markets then it is to manufacture in the US and delivery to US markets.

Of course you don't remember but clinton signed the most favored nation with china deal.
And he also steam-rolled China into the WTO and torn down the trade barriers that protected us from China!

Or perhaps an 'imbalance of payments' tax; sounds nicer than 'protective tariff'.

I do not consider leveling the playing field as being a "protective tariff". And I have nothing against Congress using its taxing power to encourage domestic manufactures as our founders did. What is wrong with an America First trade policy?

JWK

I do not consider leveling the playing field as being a "protective tariff". And I have nothing against Congress using its taxing power to encourage domestic manufactures as our founders did. What is wrong with an America First trade policy?

JWK

And I have nothing against Congress using its taxing power to encourage domestic manufactures as our founders did.

Why can't we encourage domestic manufacturing by cutting taxes on domestic manufacturers, you know, instead of raising taxes on consumers?

JWK

And I have nothing against Congress using its taxing power to encourage domestic manufactures as our founders did.

Why can't we encourage domestic manufacturing by cutting taxes on domestic manufacturers, you know, instead of raising taxes on consumers?

I am all in favor of ending all taxes calculated from profits, gains, salaries and other lawfully earned incomes. In fact, instead of the phony tax reform proposals offered by our Establishment Republicans, I support and defend the Fair Share Balanced Budget Amendment as real tax reform!

The Fair Share Balanced Budget Amendment

“SECTION 1. The Sixteenth Amendment is hereby repealed and Congress is henceforth forbidden to lay ``any`` tax or burden calculated from profits, gains, interest, salaries, wages, tips, inheritances or any other lawfully realized money.

NOTE: these words would return us to our founding father’s ORIGINAL TAX PLAN as they intended it to operate! They would also end the experiment with allowing Congress to lay and collect taxes calculated from lawfully earned "incomes" which now oppresses America‘s economic engine and robs the bread which working people have earned when selling their labor!

"SECTION 2. Congress ought not raise money by borrowing, but when the money arising from imposts duties and excise taxes are insufficient to meet the public exigencies, and Congress has raised money by borrowing during the course of a fiscal year, Congress shall then lay a direct tax at the beginning of the next fiscal year for an amount sufficient to extinguish the preceding fiscal year's deficit, and apply the revenue so raised to extinguishing said deficit."

NOTE: Congress is to raise its primary revenue from imposts and duties, [taxes at our water’s edge], and may also lay miscellaneous internal excise taxes on specifically chosen articles of consumption. But if Congress borrows and spends more than is brought in from imposts, duties and miscellaneous excise taxes during the course of a fiscal year, then, and only then, is the apportioned tax to be laid.

"SECTION 3. When Congress is required to lay a direct tax in accordance with Section 1 of this Article, the Secretary of the United States Treasury shall, in a timely manner, calculate each State's apportioned share of the total sum being raised by dividing its total population size by the total population of the united states and multiplying that figure by the total being raised by Congress, and then provide the various State Congressional Delegations with a Bill notifying their State’s Executive and Legislature of its share of the total tax being collected and a final date by which said tax shall be paid into the United States Treasury."

NOTE: our founder’s fair share formula to extinguish an annual deficit would be:

States’ population

---------------------------- X SUM TO BE RAISED = STATE’S FAIR SHARE

Total U.S. Population

The above formula, as intended by our founding fathers, is to insure that those states who contribute the lion’s share of the tax are guaranteed a representation in Congress proportionately equal to their contribution, i.e., representation with proportional financial obligation!

Note also that each State’s number or Representatives, under our Constitution is determined by the rule of apportionment:

State`s Pop.
------------------- X House size (435) = State`s No. of Representatives
U.S. Pop.

"SECTION 4. Each State shall be free to assume and pay its quota of the direct tax into the United States Treasury by a final date set by Congress, but if any State shall refuse or neglect to pay its quota, then Congress shall send forth its officers to assess and levy such State's proportion against the real property within the State with interest thereon at the rate of ((?)) per cent per annum, and against the individual owners of the taxable property. Provision shall be made for a 15% discount for those States paying their share by ((?))of the fiscal year in which the tax is laid, and a 10% discount for States paying by the final date set by Congress, such discount being to defray the States' cost of collection."

NOTE: This section respects the Tenth Amendment and allows each state to raise its share in its own chosen way in a time period set by Congress, but also allows the federal government to enter a state and collect the tax if a state is delinquent in meeting its obligation.

"SECTION 5. This Amendment to the Constitution, when ratified by the required number of States, shall take effect no later than (?) years after the required number of States have ratified it.

JWK

“…..with all these blessings, what more is necessary to make us a happy and a prosperous people? Still one thing more, fellow-citizens—a wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities“. Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address

Forum List

Back