Dog-Meat Mafia: Inside Thailand’s Smuggling Trade

An exclusive video report following Thailand’s illegal live-export trade in dogs — from rounded-up strays to stolen pets — destined for human consumption in Vietnam.

Dog-Meat Mafia: Inside Thailand?s Smuggling Trade | The Global Mail

Being a dog owner, and animal lover this kind of story absolutely breaks my heart. But I have to understand that it is a cultural difference. We see dogs and cats as domestic pets; as our friends and companions. They however, see them as food. I bet those who live in India think we are all going to hell here in America, for what we do to cows. It all boils down to your culture.

'They' don't see their pets as food. There is no need for cultural understanding to be opposed to an illegal trade network.

An exclusive video report following Thailand’s illegal live-export trade in dogs — from rounded-up strays to stolen pets — destined for human consumption in Vietnam.

Dog-Meat Mafia: Inside Thailand?s Smuggling Trade | The Global Mail

Being a dog owner, and animal lover this kind of story absolutely breaks my heart. But I have to understand that it is a cultural difference. We see dogs and cats as domestic pets; as our friends and companions. They however, see them as food. I bet those who live in India think we are all going to hell here in America, for what we do to cows. It all boils down to your culture.

What part of "smuggling" confuses you?

They are breaking the law.

'They' don't see their pets as food. There is no need for cultural understanding to be opposed to an illegal trade network.

Actually Asian cultures eat dog and cat meat....

I never said the contrary. Some do (so do some 'Western' cultures). Do some reading...of this very thread.

Even in places where dog meat is eaten, personal pets are not seen as food (of course). More than a few Americans keep pigs as pets. These people may still enjoy bacon (because, come one, it's bacon!) but they would not eat their own pets.

Are you starting to understand yet?

That's despicable. Wouldn't it be easier to raise chickens and pigs instead?

People do raise chickens and pigs too.

True. I just don't see why these people who steal and sell dogs for food can't instead make an honest living farming. Sure, it's easier to break the law to make money, but it'd be wiser to get into a more honest trade.

People do raise chickens and pigs too.

True. I just don't see why these people who steal and sell dogs for food can't instead make an honest living farming. Sure, it's easier to break the law to make money, but it'd be wiser to get into a more honest trade.

I'm sure people steal chickens and pigs too. Anyway, criminals are idiots who think they are taking the easy way.

Forum List

Back