Does welfare make people lazy?

Hey you're the one no taking care of your grandma.

You will be happy to know that she died in the mid 1970's, so she isn't costing you a dime. I, on the other hand, am going to live forever, so keep those SS checks coming!
no grandmother of mine would have to live on government peanut butter.

But you think it's OK and you speak of pride?

Chill, Spiderman. I'm not your enemy. I don't know you at all. go fight evil in comic book land.

My grandmother used to get surplus cheese and peanut butter from the government, back in the 1960's, when she was 81 years old. It must be true that welfare makes you lazy, because she didn't have a job. She just sat in front of her TV, living the life of Riley, spooning free peanut butter into her mouth.

it would have been nice if her grandson cared enough about her to bring her some groceries. Seems to me her welfare made her family too lazy to take care of her

Ouch. :lol:

Hey you're the one no taking care of your grandma.

You will be happy to know that she died in the mid 1970's, so she isn't costing you a dime. I, on the other hand, am going to live forever, so keep those SS checks coming!

Yes she would You'll just get online and lie about it like conservatives do. Talk a good game then stick their hands out saying they pay taxes too so its not hypocritical

Ame®icano;8809547 said:
I can't say they don't look for a job, but something's telling me they prey not to find it.

yeah because they are living it up

A 2 year paid vacation seems like a pretty good deal.

Of course it is. As long they're not working they can get free money, free phone, free insurance... and those younger can be on their parents insurance until 26... Living in parents basement aint that bad, someday they will live in their own....

Does welfare make people lazy? - The Week

The best way to measure whether the unemployed are behaving lazily is by examining the ratio of job seekers to job openings. If the problem is that unemployed people are slacking off work to enjoy the fruits of government welfare, we would expect to see a shortage of labor in the economy. Employers trying to recruit workers to expand their businesses would come up against the fact that job seekers are in short supply. Job vacancies would go unfilled and wages would be bid upward as businesses fight to recruit scarce labor away from the easy option of free welfare money. In such a scenario, cutting welfare would incentivize work, and help businesses fill vacancies.

And here is where the evidence undercuts conservative attacks on welfare. The data shows decisively that the problem is not laziness at all, but a lack of job openings. There are still three jobseekers for every job opening. In the dark days following the 2008 recession, that ratio was as high as seven people for every job opening. Wage growth remains weak. Surely there are still people who would rather claim welfare than try to work, but with so few jobs available, these people don't make a real difference. Trying to nudge them off welfare won't expand the supply of jobs. It would increase the number of people looking for a job — and remember, there are already not enough jobs for those seeking employment

Open a new business in Detroit, and run a help wanted ad for 100 job openings paying $10 per hour to start. How many do you think would show up to apply? There will be thousands lined up for those jobs, guaranteed. This would be true anywhere in the country where unemployment is high, which is almost everywhere other than North Dakota. There they have to pay at least $15 per hour to get anyone to apply.

Unemployment is welfare just like any other type of welfare. It's wealth redistribution by government using the force of guns. The people receiving the money are not the ones who paid for it. If it was voluntary for employers, then it would not be welfare, but it is not, it's just tax and redistribute like all other welfare programs.

Not really. Businesses pay unemployment taxes to both state and fed and if a business lays a person off they pay higher rates.

It's factored into the cost of having employees.

What a ridiculous argument. Government takes money from employers and gives it to people for not working. Unemployed are being paid someone else's money taken by force for not working. And that's not welfare. Right. It's pure wealth redistribution, it's welfare.

It's also about the most butt stupid tax we have. When companies are struggling, they get taxed more for trying to survive jeopardizing everyone else's job. When someone sucks, their employer is forced to continue to pay for them. The more you hire and the more you give people chances, the more you are forced with government guns to pay for people to not work. It's a pure anti-jobs tax.

It's just like work mans' comp and is factored into the cost of hiring. No business person i have ever known has used SUTA and FUTA taxes as a reason not to hire anyone.

Yes she would

You're wrong as usual

You'll just get online and lie about it like conservatives do. Talk a good game then stick their hands out saying they pay taxes too so its not hypocritical

I'm not a conservative nor a republican nor any of the other labels you need to use to understand the world.

aren't you on line flapping your fingers too? It's kind of funny how you think you are believable but other people aren't.

Yes she would

You're wrong as usual

You'll just get online and lie about it like conservatives do. Talk a good game then stick their hands out saying they pay taxes too so its not hypocritical

I'm not a conservative nor a republican nor any of the other labels you need to use to understand the world.

aren't you on line flapping your fingers too? It's kind of funny how you think you are believable but other people aren't.

libs are losers who are blissfully ignorant of their hypocrisy; pay them no mind

Welfare is not unemployment as was pointed out on the very first page of this thread.

Unemployment is welfare just like any other type of welfare. It's wealth redistribution by government using the force of guns. The people receiving the money are not the ones who paid for it. If it was voluntary for employers, then it would not be welfare, but it is not, it's just tax and redistribute like all other welfare programs.

Not really. Businesses pay unemployment taxes to both state and fed and if a business lays a person off they pay higher rates.

It's factored into the cost of having employees.

Those funds get used up within days the last few years. Feds have been allocating that. Same as Medicare. Seniors pay maybe 15% of the actual cost of the program in their premiums, if that.

Too me, families are small units of communism. From each according to ability to each according to need. It is not a far stretch to go from family communism to world communism, so no peanut butter for grandma.

Yes she would

You're wrong as usual

Oh I get it...You're a hipster. You dont do labels maaaaan.

Yes she would

You're wrong as usual

Oh I get it...You're a hipster. You dont do labels maaaaan.

I don't label anyone because unlike you I don't need to break things down into 2 categories so that i can understand them

The best way to measure whether the unemployed are behaving lazily is by examining the ratio of job seekers to job openings. If the problem is that unemployed people are slacking off work to enjoy the fruits of government welfare, we would expect to see a shortage of labor in the economy. Employers trying to recruit workers to expand their businesses would come up against the fact that job seekers are in short supply. Job vacancies would go unfilled and wages would be bid upward as businesses fight to recruit scarce labor away from the easy option of free welfare money. In such a scenario, cutting welfare would incentivize work, and help businesses fill vacancies.

And here is where the evidence undercuts conservative attacks on welfare. The data shows decisively that the problem is not laziness at all, but a lack of job openings. There are still three jobseekers for every job opening. In the dark days following the 2008 recession, that ratio was as high as seven people for every job opening. Wage growth remains weak. Surely there are still people who would rather claim welfare than try to work, but with so few jobs available, these people don't make a real difference. Trying to nudge them off welfare won't expand the supply of jobs. It would increase the number of people looking for a job — and remember, there are already not enough jobs for those seeking employment

facts dont matter to some

facts dont matter to some

That's funny coming from you

Forum List

Back