Does this shooting show the Tueller Drill isn't hard and fast rule? Cops shoots thug armed with hatchet rushing him.

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This officer did an amazing job under a surprise attack at close range.......he did everything right....

The Teuller Rule states you need about 21 feet against a charging attacker to keep from getting stabbed, or, in this case, hacked, by an attacker. I think having to get out of the car slowed the criminal, allowing the officer to shoot him...

Lol

21 feet is more than enough for me to create a corpse full of led. A competent shooter can draw and put shots down range in fractions of seconds.

I had a convict charge me with a bush/ditch-axe back in the 70s.....I shot him in the ankle.....Damn lucky I hit him at all as it happened so quick.

maxresdefault.jpg

This officer did an amazing job under a surprise attack at close range.......he did everything right....

The Teuller Rule states you need about 21 feet against a charging attacker to keep from getting stabbed, or, in this case, hacked, by an attacker. I think having to get out of the car slowed the criminal, allowing the officer to shoot him...

The tendency you have when firing CQB in a hurry is to fire low. He could have shot him in the face....but it looks like he shot him in the guts. I think the perp had a vest on, but once the cop started shooting he probably caught one in the chest, stomach or legs.

I had a convict charge me with a bush/ditch-axe back in the 70s.....I shot him in the ankle.....Damn lucky I hit him at all as it happened so quick.

maxresdefault.jpg
Remember front sightpost.

First time I was in fire-fight I fired low the first couple of rounds. The tendency it to line up the weapon but you forget about aiming when you pull the trigger. If you don't have time, learn to shoot from the hip at close range.

Remember front sightpost.

First time I was in fire-fight I fired low the first couple of rounds. The tendency it to line up the weapon but you forget about aiming when you pull the trigger. If you don't have time, learn to shoot from the hip at close range.
Shit, I fired as soon as I cleared leather. He was about 6' away. I had to step out of his way when he fell. He had dropped the axe as he was going down.

They gave us old-ass .38 spl S&W M&P revolvers with 6" barrels for use on the road gangs.....Not exactly the fastest thing to draw with.

No shit!!
He did a hella of job!!
Hope the guys dead we have enough wackos running around.

Shit, I fired as soon as I cleared leather. He was about 6' away. I had to step out of his way when he fell. He had dropped the axe as he was going down.

They gave us old-ass .38 spl S&W M&P revolvers with 6" barrels for use on the road gangs.....Not exactly the fastest thing to draw with.
Yep.....I was working in a Package store during my time in college when someone held me up at night.
All I had on me was a .38 S&W 6" barrel.
It was the owner's gun.
He put tracer rounds in it....and the first round surprised me from the flare.
I was just pulling the trigger and firing in the general direction.
The perp had just held me up and was running up these stairs behind the store.
The perp fell over like Joe Biden going up the stairs.
Cops said I murdered those stairs.

Best reason to carry condition 2 with one in the chamber. I normally carry cond 3 with empty chamber but will go hot if not in vehicle or near crowd. Not the best I know, but I take a lot of time to avoid places I don't trust, and I know a lot of people can't do that. That cop was very alert.

Forum List

Back