Do you trust the government?

Do you trust the government in general.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To have an outright hostile attitude towards all government is irrational. To say that you don't trust any government means you could not operate in society. Do you trust the Interstate Highway or the county road to not apart when you drive on it, for example?
You mean like the I-40 and I-35W bridges that collapsed?
How do you get around otherwise? Or do you grip the wheel in dread as you are whipping down the road at 70 mph, waiting for the inevitable collapse of the highway that is sure to occur because it was built by government?
Flawed premise...The road is builtr by people, with monies collected, to be charitable, by gubmint.

Having said that, government is an institution. And all like all institutions, they are run by people that have agendas that may or may not be congruent with what you want or need. Thus, one should understand the agendas of all institutions, and be wary to some degree of those institutions. This is true of government, corporations, etc.
The U.S. federal gubmint is the biggest corporation of them all....There's extremely little difference of substance between the two.

Last edited:

So you are asking for perfection from government? That's a pretty high standard, isn't it? Do we ask the same from companies too?

Perhaps we should apply the same standard to businesses and assume they are all incompetent and condemn the free market when there is an oil spill or a leak at a chemical plant.

Flawed premise...The road is builtr by people, with monies collected, to be charitable, by gubmint.

Irrelevant.

Government is supposed to be inefficient, right? If this is always true, then it is true for capital allocation within the government as well.

Do you trust the Interstate Highway or the county road to not fall apart when you drive on it, for example?

No

Infrastructure Report Card 2005

How do you get around otherwise? Or do you grip the wheel in dread as you are whipping down the road at 70 mph, waiting for the inevitable collapse of the highway that is sure to occur because it was built by government?

pretty much

I try to avoid overpasses

So you are asking for perfection from government? That's a pretty high standard, isn't it? Do we ask the same from companies too?

The nation is failing to maintain even the current substandard conditions, a dangerous trend that is affecting highway safety and the health of the economy. While passenger and commercial travel on our highways has increased dramatically in the past 10 years, America has been seriously under-investing in needed road and bridge repairs.

Arizona's 2nd congressional district.

AZ02_110Map_home.jpg

congfinal.jpg

Why do Americans allow this?

The nation is failing to maintain even the current substandard conditions, a dangerous trend that is affecting highway safety and the health of the economy. While passenger and commercial travel on our highways has increased dramatically in the past 10 years, America has been seriously under-investing in needed road and bridge repairs.

I completely and totally agree. Not enough money has been allocated towards infrastructure funding, and more and more of it is going to be offloaded to private interests. Be prepared for more toll roads and bridges in the future. But that is an issue of tax allocation. People don't want to pay more taxes or have other government spending cut so infrastructure spending is being hampered.

Having said that, what is the failure rate of the nation's infrastructure system? How many cars get on the roads every day and how many people die because of infrastructure failing? It is very, very low.

Why do Americans allow this?

Let me start by asking what difference it makes? Districts are drawn to assure safe seats by both Dems and Republicans. THis has been going on for a very long time. How is it corrupting or dangerous?
Second, what would a better system look like?

I believe in the system with all its imperfections, but one cannot "trust" an institution.You can only trust people.Right now I do not trust the people who are supposed to be representing me. Of course I have never asked for their help, but would like to "trust" that they'd just leave me the fuck alone, What's that expression about governing the least is governing the best..?

I live in the nanny state of NJ where they had the "sunny side up egg law" Need I say more?

The government is Obama and the democrats, do I trust them, yes, yes I trust them, I trust they will do and cause no more harm than Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Ho Chi Minh, Che and Fidel, Pol Pot, I trust that Obama will do different than any other Marxist.

Monsanto the seed/food company is making deep cuts, they produce food, think millions starve as in Lenin.

Aint the Democrats and Obama are pushing to turn food into fuel, thats less to eat and were already told that people starve in the USA and definately the world so see how they are the same.

More and more fresh produce comes from Mexico, how about their drug war and their civil war with the Zapatas

Kraft makes Kool Aid in mexico, read the label, trust them mexicans down there.

How about all that food coming from Red China.

Obama is a pig. Obama is a marxist

Perhaps we should apply the same standard to businesses and assume they are all incompetent and condemn the free market when there is an oil spill or a leak at a chemical plant.
Oh, so now when gubmint fails, like they almost always do, we get the cynical plea of "nobody's perfect".

Priceless. :rofl:

Government is supposed to be inefficient, right? If this is always true, then it is true for capital allocation within the government as well.
No argument here.

Last edited:
I believe in the system with all its imperfections, but one cannot "trust" an institution.You can only trust people.Right now I do not trust the people who are supposed to be representing me. Of course I have never asked for their help, but would like to "trust" that they'd just leave me the fuck alone, What's that expression about governing the least is governing the best..?

I live in the nanny state of NJ where they had the "sunny side up egg law" Need I say more?

Exactly. Government IS a necessary evil...but in the present? They have crossed the line of 'protecting' Liberty, into the relm of Dictating it.

The Founders warned us, didn't they?

Oh, so now when gubmint fails, like they almost always do, we get the cynical plea of "nobody's perfect".

Priceless. :rofl:

Don't be ridiculous. Speaking in absolutes and bumper sticker sloganeering is not only silly, its wrong.

No argument here.

You've just contradicted yourself.

I trust my government one hell of a lot more than I trust any individual or corporation.

Why?

Because I have NO INPUT into how individuals or corporations act.

In THEORY I have some rights with my government.

We create governments because we KNOW we cannot count on the kindness of strangers, folks.

Of course government can go bad, too.

And when they do, they're even worse than when individual or corporations go bad.

There's no perfect formula for government, folks.

If bad people take one over, bad outcomes are gonna happen.

Comparing Government to corporations to determine which is more untrustworthy is like debating in which direction it would suck most to be fed through a wood chipper, head first or feet first.

The difference is our democratically elected government is expected to be above reproach.

Last edited:
I trust my government one hell of a lot more than I trust any individual or corporation.

Why?

Because I have NO INPUT into how individuals or corporations act.

In THEORY I have some rights with my government.

We create governments because we KNOW we cannot count on the kindness of strangers, folks.

Of course government can go bad, too.

And when they do, they're even worse than when individual or corporations go bad.

There's no perfect formula for government, folks.

If bad people take one over, bad outcomes are gonna happen.

Comparing Government to corporations to determine which is more untrustworthy is like debate which direction is the worst to be fed through a wood chipper, head first or feet first.

The differnce is our democraticly elected government is expexted to be above reproach.

Not to mention totally 'below board'. There IS no comparison between the two.

Government's ROLE is to protect Liberty, whether it be economic, Social. or protecty safety of the people to practice Liberty period. [The Individual right].

What WE as Americans should be concerned with is the Government's intrusion into the right to unfettered LIBERTY, for the sake of their CONTROL, and defeat it at every turn.

Forum List

Back