Do you trust the government?

Do you trust the government in general.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ame®icano;1558313 said:
5 hours on this site and I can already tell the intelligent from the ignorant. Do you honestly mean to tell me that congressional districts are drawn based on how accurately they represent the will of the voters?

It's been a long time since people were chosing their representatives.

Today, representatives are chosing their voters.

Here is map of Illinois congressional districts.

illo.jpg
ill17.jpg

District 17, Rep. Hare, Phil

And here is the map of Wyoming's Congressional Districts.

wy.gif

Ame®icano;1558313 said:
5 hours on this site and I can already tell the intelligent from the ignorant. Do you honestly mean to tell me that congressional districts are drawn based on how accurately they represent the will of the voters?

illo.jpg
ill17.jpg

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

that looks almost as bad as that one they had in TX when the dems had the legislature and it followed I-35W and ballooned out in just a few areas

You should see the Arizona district Glenn Back has in his book.

I'll see if I can hustle it up.

Last edited:
Ame®icano;1558370 said:
Ame®icano;1558313 said:

illo.jpg
ill17.jpg

and they have the consent of the People

the people have the liberty to revolt

they choose not to

they're not that unhappy

People have no clue what disctrict they belong to.

Most of them just look for R or D, and politicians knows that.
you SURE about that?

:lol: i keep getting mailings for ME congressional district #2
and i live in ME CD #1

ROFLMAO

Last edited:
Ame®icano;1558370 said:
and they have the consent of the People

the people have the liberty to revolt

they choose not to

they're not that unhappy

you SURE about that?

and i live in ME CD #1

ROFLMAO

You registered with ACORN? :)

District lines were probably moved based on polls to ensure both districts stay with Democrats.

Ame®icano;1558429 said:
Ame®icano;1558370 said:

you SURE about that?

and i live in ME CD #1

ROFLMAO

District lines were probably moved based on polls to ensure both districts stay with Democrats.

The fact that both districts will remain within the boundaries of Maine means that will both stay with Democrats.

Ame®icano;1558429 said:
you SURE about that?

and i live in ME CD #1

ROFLMAO

The fact that both districts will remain within the boundaries of Maine means that will both stay with Democrats.
Not necessary.

If one district had 60/40 voter ratio and another 51/49 last election, district lines will most likely change to ensure both wins next election.

Makes sense?

Non-partisan question.

This has nothing to do with politics. Nothing to do with President Obama.

This is just in general.

For the purposes of this poll, the government is controlled by your party.

You contradicted yourself twice in this post.

And the sad part is it ain't the first time either.

The point I was trying to get across is, this has nothing to do with the present administration.

If your point is that the present is a continuation of what has been going on already, I agree.

Ame®icano;1558445 said:
Ame®icano;1558429 said:

Not necessary.

If one district had 60/40 voter ratio and another 51/49 last election, district lines will most likely change to ensure both wins next election.

Makes sense?

Possibly...except for the fact that our congressional lines follow our counties for the most part.

The last time they were changed was in 2003 and they were changed to make the two districts equal in population. According to this PDF file (http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/elec/apport/CongressPlanComp.pdf) the two district's populations are 637,450 and 637,473.

Ame®icano;1558445 said:
Not necessary.

Makes sense?

Possibly...except for the fact that our congressional lines follow our counties for the most part.

The last time they were changed was in 2003 and they were changed to make the two districts equal in population. According to this PDF file (http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/elec/apport/CongressPlanComp.pdf) the two district's populations are 637,450 and 637,473.
well, according to that, i'm still in the !st CD
LOL
someone needs to inform Mike Michaud that Richmond isnt in his district

I trust the government more than the marketplace, at least when the government fucks me I see it coming; I can't see the invisible hand until it has already jerked me off.

I trust my government one hell of a lot more than I trust any individual or corporation.

Why?

Because I have NO INPUT into how individuals or corporations act.

In THEORY I have some rights with my government.

We create governments because we KNOW we cannot count on the kindness of strangers, folks.

Of course government can go bad, too.

And when they do, they're even worse than when idividual or corporatios go bad.

There's no perfect formula for government, folks.

If bad people take one over, bad outcomes are gonna happen.

For all those answering "no" please send me those pieces of paper in your wallet that say "legal for debts public and private."
Also, stop signing contracts, which depend on the government for enforcement.
Stop throwing checks into those slots marked US Mail.
Stop taking airplanes, which rely on government workers to get there safely.
Quit voting.
And a host of other things.

It depends on the answer to the question: Trust them to do what?
Do I trust that government officials will always have my best interests at heart? No.
Do I trust that the gov't will be full and forthcoming with me? No.
Do I trust that promises made by politicians will be honored? No.
But the basic framework works fine.

This is a good post. I was going to write something similar, but Rabbi pretty much sums it up.

To have an outright hostile attitude towards all government is irrational. To say that you don't trust any government means you could not operate in society. Do you trust the Interstate Highway or the county road to not fall apart when you drive on it, for example? How do you get around otherwise? Or do you grip the wheel in dread as you are whipping down the road at 70 mph, waiting for the inevitable collapse of the highway that is sure to occur because it was built by government?

Having said that, government is an institution. And all like all institutions, they are run by people that have agendas that may or may not be congruent with what you want or need. Thus, one should understand the agendas of all institutions, and be wary to some degree of those institutions. This is true of government, corporations, etc.

Forum List

Back