Do You Trust Amazon?

I saw a great idea on FB the other day.

Next time you are at someone's house who has an Alexa, when they leave the room.....
"Alexa, set alarm for 3:00AM and play horror movie sounds."
That's an awesome idea. :lol:

I’m not a privacy freak, and I don’t really give a shit who records what about me
I'm surprised a pseudocon such as yourself is not a "privacy freak".

Did you know your smart phone tracks all of your movements? That might work against you during a divorce proceeding. Or a criminal trial.

;)

I don’t cheat or commit crimes

Yeah, but if they want, they can then alter the Data to make it appear as if you do. . . .
You are really way too naive and trusting. Look what the Deep State is doing to Trump, and how they just gave a pass to Hillary. Wow.

You really trust the system like that huh? :auiqs.jpg:

You are fool to trust that statist P.O.S. Bezos. He is in deep with his agreements with the CIA. He has actively engaged in predatory business practices, and if you knew how they ran their business, you would not trust them AT ALL. Who cares if you haven't done anything wrong, THEY OWN YOUR DATA STREAMS.

If you hold a non-PC opinion, they can make it LOOK like you did something wrong. DUH.

pkmsepovy0f21.jpg

I use Alexa with IFTTT to control various lights in my house.

Pretty cool.

I found it interesting that their web-services company had the same name as their speaker device. Maybe that is why they gave it the new name of Echo to reduce the confusion?

Now you tell me the App. is also called Alexa?

Ways to Build with Amazon Alexa

Why is everything with them called Alexa? What is the final game plan here?
The device is called Echo.

It's wake up word is "Alexa". But you can also wake it up with "Echo".

So if you want to know how to spell a word, for example, you would say, "Alexa, how do you spell antidisestablishmentarianism?"

As soon as you say the word "Alexa", the blue ring on the device lights up to let you know it is active.

The Echo speaker would then tell you how to spell the word.

Your request is simultaneously recorded on the Amazon Alexa app on your phone as "How do you spell antidisestablishmentarianism?" without the wake up word. Both the text of your request and the audio recording are saved onto your app and the Amazon servers.

Yes, but that doesn't explain why they simultaneously ALSO named they web services company ALSO Alexa.

I’m not a privacy freak, and I don’t really give a shit who records what about me
I'm surprised a pseudocon such as yourself is not a "privacy freak".

Did you know your smart phone tracks all of your movements? That might work against you during a divorce proceeding. Or a criminal trial.

;)

I don’t cheat or commit crimes
There's a reason we have a Fourth Amendment. The attitude of "If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about from the government" is incredibly naive. Our Founders saw first hand how totalitarian regimes have a funny way of finding the crimes you are committing even when you aren't committing any.

Your privacy is paramount to protecting your freedom.

The Amazon smart speaker, known as the Echo or as "Alexa", records your requests. Everything you have ever said to your smart speaker is saved on Amazon's servers.

These recordings are not very secure.

For example: Amazon sent 1,700 Alexa voice recordings to the wrong user following data request

I also personally discovered other unbelievable invasions of privacy the Echo speaker is capable of, and have notified Amazon. They didn't appear to give a shit.

Now there is a smart speaker with a camera in it. This comes in two forms. The Show and the Dot.

Would you trust this unsecure photographic device in your bedroom?!?

spot.jpg

FUCK no. I already have the cameras in my laptops taped over.
Me, too.
See, it is this type of behavior that they would definitely doctor your data streams to make you look guilty in the end.

You would not want the government listening to your phone calls. So why would you not care if a corporation was listening to your BEDROOM!?!?

Any company whose office employees are sobbing at their desks, whose warehouse employees have to piss in bottle b/c they don't have time to take breaks, and whose philosophy is that is is more cost effective to keep ambulances outside of their warehouses in case an employee gets heatstroke rather than turn on the air. . . .

THAT is a company that cannot be trusted.

You would not want the government listening to your phone calls. So why would you not care if a corporation was listening to your BEDROOM!?!?

So why don’t you get off the grid then? Most people have come to expect privacy is a thing of the past. Everyone’s life is an open book. Embrace it

People today have no problems voluntarily giving up their privacy to get "cool stuff".
The next time you want to download the latest/greatest game app - take a look at the loooooong list of permissions the game takes if you click "OK". Ask yourself, why does a game need access to my location? Why does it need access to all of my contacts? Why does it need to know all of my network settings? And on and on.

So why don’t you get off the grid then? Most people have come to expect privacy is a thing of the past. Everyone’s life is an open book. Embrace it

That's a lemming post, bro.

How so? I’m not disapproving or approving of any of it. The fact of the matter is that with technology our privacy has become a thing of the past. You can either embrace it or not, but fighting against it is an excerise in futility

How so? I’m not disapproving or approving of any of it. The fact of the matter is that with technology our privacy has become a thing of the past. You can either embrace it or not, but fighting against it is an excerise in futility
That's bull.
In that line of thinking, people in the old days should have just learned to embrace never owning property and always working for a lord who could do anything he wanted to you. Did they waste their time fighting that system?
As in my point above, games don't have ANY legitimate reason to have access to your location, or your contacts list, or all of your network settings and can route around passwords etc.
Until people wake the f*ck up and start making noise - it is not going to stop.

That's bull.
In that line of thinking, people in the old days should have just learned to embrace never owning property and always working for a lord who could do anything he wanted to you. Did they waste their time fighting that system?
As in my point above, games don't have ANY legitimate reason to have access to your location, or your contacts list, or all of your network settings and can route around passwords etc.

It’s never going to stop, whether people wake up or not. There are too many corporations we’re addicted to that spy on us. People are focusing on getting by in there day to day lives and there privacy has become an afterthought. Everyone knows what they give up when they use company’s like google, Facebook, and Amazon.

That's bull.

It’s never going to stop, whether people wake up or not. There are too many corporations we’re addicted to that spy on us. People are focusing on getting by in there day to day lives and there privacy has become an afterthought. Everyone knows what they give up when they use company’s like google, Facebook, and Amazon.

"everyone knows what they give up...."
No they don't.
Most people don't have a clue and just click OK.
There has never been a single time when I have told someone that M$ has a built-in keylogger and they are anything but shocked. (after explaining to them what a keylogger is) Most people are horrified by it. They had ZERO idea that M$ daily downloads all of their browser history even if they open a private tab. They had no idea that some game apps on your cell phone even gave themselves access to your photos.
No.
Most people do not know.

So, your response is to throw up your hands and give up. That's how so.

Keep in mind that anything you do on a computer is subject to surveillance by either ad agencies or the government or both. If you think you could be busted for asking Alexa to call a prostitute, do it yourself.

So, your response is to throw up your hands and give up. That's how so.

What’s your solution?

The solution is to hide your Internet IP address with Tor, or something like it, that allows you do work through a remote bot IP address.
Never have anything in your house that can be hacked, like Alexa.
That does for all wireless devices except a computer you can load security onto.
Never have remote lighting controls, remote doorbells, or anything like that.
Recently there was an example where people were using a cellphone app to unlock and start their Tesla, so someone easily stole it.
These companies may not ever intend to do any harm, but the risks are far too great in that some criminal can then easily use that information to know when it is safe to break in. And if you allowed your security to be accessible to the outside, that is like an engraved invitation.

Forum List

Back