Do You Trust Amazon?

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
The Amazon smart speaker, known as the Echo or as "Alexa", records your requests. Everything you have ever said to your smart speaker is saved on Amazon's servers.

These recordings are not very secure.

For example: Amazon sent 1,700 Alexa voice recordings to the wrong user following data request

I also personally discovered other unbelievable invasions of privacy the Echo speaker is capable of, and have notified Amazon. They didn't appear to give a shit.

Now there is a smart speaker with a camera in it. This comes in two forms. The Show and the Dot.

Would you trust this unsecure photographic device in your bedroom?!?

spot.jpg

Personally I would feel stupid talking to a box or a phone etc so I don't have to worry about security

I’m not a privacy freak, and I don’t really give a shit who records what about me

Depends on the Amazon...

That said, most of what Alexa hears in my house is dialogue from old movies.

Personally I would feel stupid talking to a box or a phone etc so I don't have to worry about security
A smart speaker has a lot of uses. I use mine to control the lights in my house. It also gives me news and weather briefings. My kids use it to learn how to spell words. My wife also uses it as a cooking timer, a reminder, and an alarm clock.

Hundreds of uses.

It also plays songs by just about every artist out there, all at voice command. My wife's conure parrot loves it when I tell Alexa to play "Take Five". Something about the sax really sends that chick. She bobs her head to the music. :lol:

My kids did not know that their commands to the smart speaker show up as text on my Alexa app on my phone, along with their voice recording.

You can imagine their shock at the dinner table as I replayed their commands to Alexa to "go fuck yourself" and whatnot.

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Priceless.

I’m not a privacy freak, and I don’t really give a shit who records what about me
I'm surprised a pseudocon such as yourself is not a "privacy freak".

Did you know your smart phone tracks all of your movements? That might work against you during a divorce proceeding. Or a criminal trial.

;)

An Amazon Echo was recently used to crack a murder case. The press never reported exactly how.

I'm imagining the dying man saying, "Alexa, my brother just stabbed me..."

Did you know your smart phone tracks all of your movements? That might work against you during a divorce proceeding. Or a criminal trial.

;)

My friend has Alexa and was doing that. :auiqs.jpg:

;)

I don’t cheat or commit crimes

I found it interesting that their web-services company had the same name as their speaker device. Maybe that is why they gave it the new name of Echo to reduce the confusion?

Now you tell me the App. is also called Alexa?

Ways to Build with Amazon Alexa

Why is everything with them called Alexa? What is the final game plan here?

The Amazon smart speaker, known as the Echo or as "Alexa", records your requests. Everything you have ever said to your smart speaker is saved on Amazon's servers.

For example: Amazon sent 1,700 Alexa voice recordings to the wrong user following data request

I also personally discovered other unbelievable invasions of privacy the Echo speaker is capable of, and have notified Amazon. They didn't appear to give a shit.

Now there is a smart speaker with a camera in it. This comes in two forms. The Show and the Dot.

spot.jpg

FUCK no. I already have the cameras in my laptops taped over.

If your wife or any family member is named Alexa, do NOT buy an Amazon Echo! :eek-52:

spot.jpg

FUCK no. I already have the cameras in my laptops taped over.
Me, too.

I found it interesting that their web-services company had the same name as their speaker device. Maybe that is why they gave it the new name of Echo to reduce the confusion?

Now you tell me the App. is also called Alexa?

Ways to Build with Amazon Alexa

Why is everything with them called Alexa? What is the final game plan here?
The device is called Echo.

It's wake up word is "Alexa". But you can also wake it up with "Echo".

So if you want to know how to spell a word, for example, you would say, "Alexa, how do you spell antidisestablishmentarianism?"

As soon as you say the word "Alexa", the blue ring on the device lights up to let you know it is active.

The Echo speaker would then tell you how to spell the word.

Your request is simultaneously recorded on the Amazon Alexa app on your phone as "How do you spell antidisestablishmentarianism?" without the wake up word. Both the text of your request and the audio recording are saved onto your app and the Amazon servers.

I saw a great idea on FB the other day.

Next time you are at someone's house who has an Alexa, when they leave the room.....
"Alexa, set alarm for 3:00AM and play horror movie sounds."

Obviously, to hear the word "Alexa", the speaker has to be always listening.

Dun-dun-dunnnnnnnn!

Forum List

Back