Do you think

I think lots of parents manage to screw their kids up perfectly well without input from anyone else. But we are all entitled to voice our opinions.

Sure you are. And the parents are entitled to give your opinion exactly the weight it deserves.

I would never recommend that anyone take my opinion on anything with any more weight than I give to theirs.

This thread reminds me of an 'experienced' person I'd rather not have advice from. Remember being pregnant for the first time and some idiot telling you horror stories? :whip:

Oh yes, mainly Kathy N. She would tell me HORRIBLE STORIES about labor, and raising kids (hers was a brat btw!) and what to do while preggers, what I should do AFTER the baby came, what to do 5 years down the road...............

And her little angel ended up running away from home at age 15, pregnant by 16.

I'll stick to my mom and dad's example and my instincts thank you very much!

Those people that don't have kids, should tell others how to raise their kids, or what's best for them?

No.

I would be absolutely clueless on giving advice on anyone's kids.....shoot, Matt is STILL a kid....I'm still trying to figure out how to make a kid in his late 40's how to be a grown up! :lol::lol::lol:

but my sister has never had children of her own either, and if she were asked about advice on another's child rearing, I would trust her advice, even though she has never had a child of her own...mainly because i believe her near 30 years experience as a teacher, many of them in special ed, and with all the parent teacher conferences and also what parents have discussed in confidence with her....probably gives her a pretty good handle on things, from an "outsiders" point of view.

This thread reminds me of an 'experienced' person I'd rather not have advice from. Remember being pregnant for the first time and some idiot telling you horror stories? :whip:

Oh yes, mainly Kathy N. She would tell me HORRIBLE STORIES about labor, and raising kids (hers was a brat btw!) and what to do while preggers, what I should do AFTER the baby came, what to do 5 years down the road...............

Isn't that always the case? LOL! I too went with my parents very good example. As one would say, with the youngest 23 now, pretty much can say worked out well.

Another thing is every kid is different. And you have to deal with them the way that particular kid needs to be dealt with. I value advice from some people who know and understand my kids. Otherwise, I've found there are only a very few universal truths when it comes to little people.

Isn't that always the case? LOL! I too went with my parents very good example. As one would say, with the youngest 23 now, pretty much can say worked out well.

Believe it or not, I'm even jealous of the one with the pregnant 16 year old. I'll never have grandkids...both of mine are special needs. :(

If it is constructive criticism I don't see why not but if it is meant to be mean NO.

Sometimes a childless woman can see things us sometimes clouded mothers mind doesn't.

Believe it or not, I'm even jealous of the one with the pregnant 16 year old. I'll never have grandkids...both of mine are special needs. :(

That's got to be hard. I suppose one might look at it though as you have children forever. Certainly not what one would plan, but things are what they are.

None of mine are in much hurry to get married, well I guess my daughter is starting to, but she's nearly 29 and has had the same boyfriend for over 3 years. ;)

My nephew is expecting what would have been the first great-granchild for my folks, if they'd lived long enough. I'm very excited, (this is the nephew with the brain tumor), I can't wait to spoil and buy baby clothes. Of course I'll have to kill the grandparents and aunts and uncles first! LOL!

I don't know Terry, it depends who it is. If it's somebody who knows my children well, understands our family and knows me well enough to understand how I parent, that's one thing. But the people who tend to give lots of unsolicited advice are usually the ones who don't.

For example, both of my kids are gifted/talented. That's a good thing. But on the down side, they also both have some of the hypersensitivities and uneven development issues often associated with G/T individuals. They don't have the same ones. People who don't understand them don't understand why I often handle the same situation differently with one child than the other or why I do some of the things I do at all. It just is what it is.

Why would I want advice from people who don't know what's going on? That's just wasting my time and making them look like an ass for butting their nose in without having the facts.

A childless woman was a child at one time with Parents and more then likely younger siblings. If it was meant to help, I would be happy to listen and not take offense.

That's got to be hard. I suppose one might look at it though as you have children forever. Certainly not what one would plan, but things are what they are.

None of mine are in much hurry to get married, well I guess my daughter is starting to, but she's nearly 29 and has had the same boyfriend for over 3 years. ;)

My nephew is expecting what would have been the first great-granchild for my folks, if they'd lived long enough. I'm very excited, (this is the nephew with the brain tumor), I can't wait to spoil and buy baby clothes. Of course I'll have to kill the grandparents and aunts and uncles first! LOL!

I do live vicariously through my sister's grandkids. Every once in a while, I go down to Portland to visit them. If she calls while I'm down there I tell her "This is my time, you wait your turn!"

Those people that don't have kids, should tell others how to raise their kids, or what's best for them?

Should people that have kids have the right to tell those that don't how to live?

I think not in both cases and see no evidense that anyone in this country has a "right" to tell anyone else how to live.

But some people are just plain ignorant butinskis and are going to try to impose thier narrow view of the world off on others. Take Jehovas witlesses. no yo take em...no I insist! you take em!

I do live vicariously through my sister's grandkids. Every once in a while, I go down to Portland to visit them. If she calls while I'm down there I tell her "This is my time, you wait your turn!"

That is good. Usually if one looks around the neighborhood, there's new babies being born all the time. Wait for spring, they'll be walking them in stroller. Around here we have lots of young people from out of state, they love someone to make a fuss!

A childless woman was a child at one time with Parents and more then likely younger siblings. If it was meant to help, I would be happy to listen and not take offense.
I agree.
It doesn't make any difference if the person giving advice is a parent themself or not. If the advice is unwanted or intrusive, it's annoying,
But if it's welcome, good advice generally comes from sensible people regardless if they have kids or not. Just because a person has had kids doesn't make them an instant expert.

Foe example, I'd gladly accept child-rearing advice from CareForAll but from Cecilie, NO THANKS!!

If your kids aren't under control and are a pain the ass, whether I have kids or not I'm going to tell you what you can do with them. :thup:

Forum List

Back