Do you think this is fair?

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
A few years ago I was pretty sure upper management wanted to promote me. I heard my name being mentioned so I thought that was good. It now came down to what my own managers had to say and that is where the story begins. One was an attractive female and the other was a male. I didn't know this at the time but I believe the two were having an affair of some kind. I didn't know because they have as little contact with the 'peons' as possible. He was also married which makes the whole affair they were having much worse. One night I made a move on the female manager. I didn't plan on it happenning because she gave me a ride home and while we were talking I made an innocent move on her. I basically tried to kiss her. She seemed to like it but nothing ever happen beyond that because I was pulling up to where I live and she couldn't come in. I didn't know she was having an affair with the other guy and somehow he found this out. When it came time to them giving me their honest opinion of my work he totally shot me down. It was kind of unfair because it was kind of innocent and, quite frankly, I didn't know that they were seeing each other. It just seems unfair that some mexican muchacho couldn't handle a little competition and decided to turn his jealous rage against me. It just seems unfair because the same managers(s) also gave me an employee of the year award once.

I'm inclined to think passing you over for promotion is a blessing - you could have had a sexual harassment charge brought which would have been worse - you could have lost your job altogether. Good rule of thumb is NEVER get involved with anyone with whom you work ... certainly not anyone who is in a position higher than the one you have. Office gossip has a way of getting up the chain and can get someone in a lot of trouble. The way this guy "somehow" found out is probably because the woman went right straight to him with the story.

If you plan to continue working at this place, it looks like you'll have to decide if you want to fool around with managers or get promoted. Obviously, you can't do both.

Forum List

Back