Do you support Enriching Corporations through Legislation

Do you support Enriching Corporations through Legislation

• Total voters

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
Do you support legislation that makes big companies rich at the expense of the taxpayer?

Please vote in the poll and discuss.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Last edited:
you forgot an option.

I will not partake in your strawman poll.

There's no such thing as black and white.

I voted "It depends". It's never as clear as "this legislation is to make Johnny the CEO rich". It's always more complicated than that, and there have been many times that legislation that I agree with have been loaded with pork and deregulation that lead, very directly into a small fraction of the population making out like bandits. It's the only way that things get done in Washington.

you forgot an option.

I will not partake in your strawman poll.

This statement, in itself, is the only strawman here.

It depends on the legislation is your option there Trollster.
Not really. Your poll is like asking someone when they stopped beating their wife. Even if they never beat their wife, there is no good answer.

Here is a valid option for you to add.

Do you support allowing companies to get rich or fail by keeping government out of the board room?

Because that would be My vote right there.

Everyone wants lower prices.....

BUT!

They demand a living wage too!

So, exactly how does that work again?

The government has no right to give businesses taxpayer money.

I agree. I would rather pay 5x as much for a head of lettuce than subsidize farmers.

I don't agree with many farm subsidies, but you're missing the other side of this - there are millions of people in this country who can't afford to spend 5x the price for a head of lettuce. Which means people just won't buy lettuce. Which means farms will go out of business. Which will destroy what's left of our agrarian economy, making millions more poor people.

Ethanol subsidies, on the other hand - fuck them. Why are we spending billions to subsidize corn that no one will eat, to make a fuel that takes more fossil fuel energy to create than it saves by using it.

What does "at taxpayer expense" mean? Does that mean that tax monies are being given to corporations? For no benefit to the people? I mean, military contractors get taxpayer money all the time. That hardly seems unfair. It would be more unfair to demand their goods and services and not pay for them.

I am in favor of having government get out of the way of corporations honestly trying to make money for their shareholders. In the process they make money to pay their workers and pay taxes as well. If they get rich, that's even better because poor companies don't increase wages of their workers.

The government has no right to give businesses taxpayer money.

I agree. I would rather pay 5x as much for a head of lettuce than subsidize farmers.

Well if government were to get out of the way lettuce wouldn't cost 5x more. The market naturally leads to lower prices.

That's patently false. The natural price of a head of lettuce is based on a very slim profit margin - plant food costs money, land costs money, labor costs money. Without farm subsidies, we'd either have to pay $5 for a tomato, or not grow any commercially, ever again.

Well if government were to get out of the way lettuce wouldn't cost 5x more. The market naturally leads to lower prices.

That's patently false. The natural price of a head of lettuce is based on a very slim profit margin - plant food costs money, land costs money, labor costs money. Without farm subsidies, we'd either have to pay $5 for a tomato, or not grow any commercially, ever again.
In fact, in many ways, it is cheaper for people to grow their own vegetables then buy them from the local grocer unless they have a farmers market nearby. And the vegetables are much fresher.

Forum List

Back