Do you repaint your house ???

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Are you supposed to repaint the outside of your house every several years ??

Thx

Do you also repaint the inside ??

Inside as th mood strikes. Not outside except for columns and shutter, as the rest is brick. People that paint brick should have their butts sewn shut.

I just sprayed mine last summer as I have wood siding.
If you don't keep it painted sealed and caulked, it will rot if water penetrates.
Had to replace a few pieces.
I prefer painted houses as maintenance free siding fades with UV exposure. Every custom home I have built is also painted. Vinyl absolutely never goes on a million dollar house.

Our secondary garage( toy box) which shows the new color on front versus the old on the side
20210703_135117.jpg

The house with the final new colors.
20210709_182904.jpg

Did it all in two weekends with a sprayer.
Those things save time and money.
Total investment, about 1000 bucks.

I worked as a residential and commercial painter right out of high school. I recall that the average price to repaint an antebellum-style 2-story in Mobile, Alabama in the mid-70s was 5 thousand bucks. A new Camaro at that time was a lot less, IIRC.

I worked as a residential and commercial painter right out of high school. I recall that the average price to repaint an antebellum-style 2-story in Mobile, Alabama in the mid-70s was 5 thousand bucks. A new Camaro at that time was a lot less, IIRC.

Now in many parts of the country, those jobs go to illegals. Around here as soon as college was out college painters went to work, now gone 20+ years thanks to a never-ending horde of third world immigrants.

But that would cause a terribly messy explosion.
I worked with a good contractor. building a huge two story for the annual home show. I sold the windows, (high performance Caradco clad over wood dbl hungs simulated Tru Divided Lite Low E, IG, doors (interior and exterior) including a two story front entry system with 8' twin doors separate rectangular transom with separate standing arch TDL IG, Hollester kit from Precision Millworks in their newest no rot no maintenance white exterior, the the fluted, backed segmented pilasters and Keystone, Huge exterior fiberglass columns, with corinthian caps and bases (took a crane to put them up), exterior decorative molding by Fypon, beautiful LJ Smith over the post stair system and she use two of the best trim carpenters for a hundred mile to put it in correctly along with the stacked crowns and other moldings. She had it bricked with used brick, using a variety, and the effect was breathtaking, an old school masterpiece of the south in modern day. She was getting good offers before the show ever started. I went out the week before the show to adjust/rekey a lock problem, and found the last thing she had decided to do was PAINT THE BRICK WHITE. Gone were the contrasts and old school exterior look, sitting a hundred feet off the street in this upscale large home subdivision, it now looked like a fluffed up law office downtown and became the last house to sell in the show. Contractors and subcontractors started referring to as the White Elephant. Painted brick suck, big time.

When I owned houses with wooden siding I would paint the exterior every year. Not the whole exterior; just one wall. A few hours would do the siding and the next day another hour would take care of the trim. That did not include a few hours with a pressure washer removing the webs spun by the Daddy Long Legs and the occasional black widow spider. Houses always looked good and the siding held up wonderfully when others nearby were failing. I sold the last such house some 15 years ago. The person who bought it is in loose contact and says she's never had to paint at all. Maybe I overdid it but it was so easy to do. I do think a key was buying only high quality paint and (of course) staying with the same color. As to the interior, using an "eggshell" type paint rather than the more common flat interior paint resists discoloration better and, with occasional cleaning, eliminates the need to repaint. It's easier to change wives than it is to change colors should one get persnickety about "redecorating".

Forum List

Back