Do you play a musical instrument ?

sorry to butt in

and this is def. off topic...

but i'm watching "the hunt for red october"
it's at the beginning and male voices are singing that russian? acapella/classical piece
(do NOT know what it is....will google later...)

beautiful
powerful
moving

goosebumps

It's called Hymn to Red October, by Basil Poledouris. Here's a copy with Russian and English lyrics:

Last edited by a moderator:
If so, what is it and how long have you played?

Functionally deaf here, so no. However the arts, including music are important to me. All of my children have taken lessons since primary years. Daughter majored in music and drama. One son dropped out of music lessons in 6th; the other dropped orchestra for high school because of sports but kept up private cello lessons, paying for them himself. He still plays at 25 for relaxation.

If so, what is it and how long have you played?

Functionally deaf here, so no. However the arts, including music are important to me. All of my children have taken lessons since primary years. Daughter majored in music and drama. One son dropped out of music lessons in 6th; the other dropped orchestra for high school because of sports but kept up private cello lessons, paying for them himself. He still plays at 25 for relaxation.

Have you tried vibration and color?

Piano is my passion. Since I was a child...that is me at my recent recital at Steinway Hall in Manhattan in the profile.

I never would have guessed - the piano or the Asian!

Who do you enjoy playing the most? Do you sight read really well, or need time to digest a piece? Do you also play by ear, or mostly need sheet music?

Did you see this, from the NYTimes last week? I agree with his list, although I would have put Mahler in there, probably in place of Bartok. I also like Shostakovich, who I was only recently introduced to, with the soundtrack of Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/arts/music/23composers.html
I just re-read my post, and I sound like I just drank a pot of espresso! :lol:

Well, I am. I am guessing that you were born in the U.S.A. Your posts demonstrate a thoroughly American style, in tone and aggression. That's not a criticism. It's just counter to my experience with Asian culture.

If you are good, then that tells me you're a hard worker. Because I've usually found players to be one way or the other, by and large.

It really is - I need to purchase it:

I did see that piece in the NY Times and I guess I have to agree with the consensus that Bach is number one, but I was surprised Chopin did not make the cut. Love talking about music, particularly classical.

I agree. I think the hardest decision is who is #2.

Right now I'm working on Mozart's Fantasy.

You should set up a video camera, and post a YouTube video of yourself playing it, or anything, really. I would love to hear it!

I might just do that. I'm working on it now, so it will be a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I play guitar. Learned when I was 35. Haven’t been playing in years my brother bought me a beautiful new guitar. A Martin. I heard Miley syrus and kid leroii singing his popular song Without You. It’s just Am F C and G and one E somewhere in the middle. Simple. But my fingers are out of shape. Tired after one song. When I was playing I could have played ten songs in a row

I had five guitars and didn’t know how to play. One day at work 15 years ago a guy at work told me to bring in a guitar. He taught me D and G. The next week he showed me how I could play and sing Love is what I got by sublime by just playing D and G over and over. I was hooked. One week he taught me Am F C G. Mr Jones by counting crows. G F C. Night moves by bob seager. You get the point. Easy 2,3 or 4 chord songs.

The beatles played their own instruments, harmonized well and wrote amazing songs. All the greatest bands and singers admit it’s the Beatles then everyone else can fight over who’s two. Stones, Led Zeppelin, who, csny, Van Halen, etc.

Then don’t join in this conversation if you don’t think there is a goat.

You know better than Rolling Stones.

You don’t have an opinion? Typical.

New Topics

Forum List

Back