Do you live near one of these neighborhoods?

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
What do they have in common or do they have anything in common?

table-426x420.jpg

I live in NE Atlanta.

SE Atlanta--about 20 minutes away--worlds away. You'd have to go through downtown and be headed toward the airport, I assume. Certain the area is home to gangs--all that you might imagine. Must be somewhere near Turner Field/baseball.

If you are planning to visit Atlanta you really need to be proactive. I used to post in a relocation forum and was very concerned about some of the plans.

The area around Stone Mountain can get pretty rough, too. Then we have the International Corridor --on the other side. About 10 minutes from me. Plenty goes on.

FYI--I lock my car doors every time I get in the car. Would not care who was offended if I happened to forget.

How this area --ranked #9 might be similar or different from any of the others I cannot say.

I really don't think the statistics are very good---Detroit/Chicago-- Atlanta isn't having that sort of problem at present. Plenty of outrage and it seems something is being done.

Several times a week on local news some sort of crime occurs in SE Atlanta.

I live in NE Atlanta.

SE Atlanta--about 20 minutes away--worlds away. You'd have to go through downtown and be headed toward the airport, I assume. Certain the area is home to gangs--all that you might imagine. Must be somewhere near Turner Field/baseball.

If you are planning to visit Atlanta you really need to be proactive. I used to post in a relocation forum and was very concerned about some of the plans.

The area around Stone Mountain can get pretty rough, too. Then we have the International Corridor --on the other side. About 10 minutes from me. Plenty goes on.

FYI--I lock my car doors every time I get in the car. Would not care who was offended if I happened to forget.

How this area --ranked #9 might be similar or different from any of the others I cannot say.

I really don't think the statistics are very good---Detroit/Chicago-- Atlanta isn't having that sort of problem at present. Plenty of outrage and it seems something is being done.

I don't think that's what he was looking for. I'm not a betting person, but if I was, I'd bet that he's looking for someone to point out the ratio of blacks in those areas.

Last edited:
I live in NE Atlanta.

I don't think that's what he was looking for. I'm not a betting person, but if I was I'd bet that he's looking for someone to point out the ratio of blacks in those areas.

No not really is their anything that these cities have in common? I s race a factor? I don't know. Is gun control a factor maybe so. I just don't know. Maybe they all run by democrats I just don't know.

Last edited:
I live in NE Atlanta.

Here's how they came up with the stats.

Top 25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods in America ? 2013 ? Neighborhood Scout

I live in NE Atlanta.

I don't think that's what he was looking for. I'm not a betting person, but if I was, I'd bet that he's looking for someone to point out the ratio of blacks in those areas.

That was a given, or so I assumed.

I know where it is and what goes on. Once I drove around the area around the Humane Society --NW but getting pretty close to SE--not a good idea.

All kinds of things go on all over the city--just don't be where you shouldn't be is the sort of advice that is frequently given. Even in my 96% crime free area that is what we are told.

A couple of years ago a Wells Fargo driver was shot and killed in broad daylight in front of the Kroger.

~~~
not that I think anyone will be interested but Hopkins St./somewhere around Lakewood--always has been rough. The airport--Fort MacPherson--the waterworks--the prison--all of that is in this area.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hopk...F-8&ei=DOMOUtayNdGl2AX9iYC4BQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Once it must have been 'pretty good'. This will sound so petty---but--I know of a person from college from that area--now living in Pensacola--actually some county adjacent to Pensacola--must be the whitest place in the world---the epitome of Conservatism. The things she posts on Facebook--very enlightened, a school counselor. Bet she's glad not to be living in the Lakewood area. lol--tacky. I don't care --she really irritates me.

Last edited:
I live in NE Atlanta.

I know where it is and what goes on. Once I drove around the area around the Humane Society --NW but getting pretty close to SE--not a good idea.

All kinds of things go on all over the city--just don't be where you shouldn't be is the sort of advice that is frequently given. Even in my 96% crime free area that is what we are told.

A couple of years ago a Wells Fargo driver was shot and killed in broad daylight in front of the Kroger.
Why does it have to be about race? If you think it is just say it. If I thought it was I would I would say it. I'm leaning towards to many gun restrictions or run by democrats.

Okay, I went to your information and looked at the first ten of those locations. You click on the location and it takes you to a map, with several tabs of information above the map. Click on the "Description" tab and it brings up a bunch of information. Look for the section on Ethnicity/Ancestry.

Like I said, I looked at the first ten. In eight out of ten of the locations, the people most commonly identified their ancestry as Sub-Saharan African or African.

Two of them, oddly enough, most commonly identified their ancestry as German. : ) Rowdy damn Germans!

Anyway, I didn't look through all the rest, but I suspect the trend of these areas being predominantly black will continue.

So what? None of the black people I know fit this profile.

Why does it have to be about race? If you think it is just say it. If I thought it was I would I would say it. I'm leaning towards to many gun restrictions or run by democrats.

Yeah, right.

lol--I live here and I know where the crime is. Ain't no big thing--as we say around here.

We confront our issues and all that.

SE Atlanta--everybody just knows. What is sometimes confusing is if the location is NW --next door to SE but then also includes some of the most affluent areas in the city.

~~~~~~~
o/t--
If for some reason you decide to visit Atlanta and seek entertainment--I have heard that SE Atlanta has it going on. Would not know anything specific--jazz and more.

If I wanted to be entertained--I would have to drive into the VaHi area--30 minutes--going toward downtown.

We just 'work' over here.

Yeah, right.

You don't speak for me son so don't eve try it.
If you think it's about race spit it out and say it.
I still thinks its either failed gun control or democratic run cities.
One or the other.

lol--I live here and I know where the crime is. Ain't no big thing--as we say around here.

SE Atlanta--everybody just knows. What is sometimes confusing is if the location is NW --next door to SE but then also includes some of the most affluent areas in the city.

~~~~~~~
o/t--
If for some reason you decide to visit Atlanta and seek entertainment--I have heard that SE Atlanta has it going on. Would not know anything specific--jazz and more.

If I wanted to be entertained--I would have to drive into the VaHi area--30 minutes--going toward downtown.

I posted this a few post back

The dirty little secret is that the first thing the Investigators say when they find a dead white kid in any one of those neighborhoods is "what was he/she doing there"? The point is that the Police have given up and society admits that there are places in the United States where innocent white people will be killed if they venture into the neighborhood. Hollywood jokes about it and most Americans take it for granted. A couple of years ago when I was visiting the kids in Scottsdale the local paper had an article about a body found in a "known crack-house". We have come to accept that phrase but what's wrong with it? If crack-houses are known why do the Police allow them to freaking exist? Society gave up decades ago and nobody seems to care.

~~~~~~~
o/t--

I posted this a few post back

yes--I read it.

Not trying to be obtuse or derail the thread--I just don't have anything really profound to say.

It is an area that has always been predominantly black. In the early 50's--there were ?middle class neighborhoods--white and then minutes away the projects. A little bit further over there were upper class white neighborhoods---anybody that could moved. White Flight. For 50 years this has been a topic of discussion. My friend's husband lived there--we know better to even mention 'what happened'.

Race--it has to be confronted.

In order to post on message boards I try to use the most neutral language--and refrain from expressing most of what I really think/feel.

I did learn a good bit in the relocation forum--how the city is changing--gentrification and all of that.

That one specific area has very high crime--the areas around it have less.

that's about all I've got. LE does what it can, communities do what they can--that's all that I see that can be done. Gangs---drugs--just no easy solution.

All the projects in Atlanta was bulldozed a few years back.

most of them--all around GA Tech those projects were converted to Olympic Housing.

The last one was taken down a couple of years ago.

http://projects.ajc.com/gallery/view/metro/atlanta/atlanta-housing-projects/

I barely go downtown. But I have driven past and noticed improvements.

Urban pioneers. Gotta hand it to em. They seem to love it--taking public transportation --buying a few groceries at a time --I can't even tell you all that is involved in that lifestyle.

~~~~
I live near the International Corridor--plenty goes on there, let me assure you. We just gentrify or create new cities--told to be patient. Town centers--lots of discussion on that. People in my area weren't so sure--spent a good part of the last decade opposing that. Then the economy collapsed. Always something.

Last edited:
The thing that stuck out that seems to be common with these neighborhoods.
Single mothers, low income, older neighborhoods, cities controlled by democrats, and it does appear that race is also part of the bound that appears to be in common with each city.

So if democrats are big on helping minorities why do we have cities like this?

Black neighborhoods = high crime. Fact of life in America.

Not always true there has to be other factors

one way or the other it will get back to poverty/lack of education

but ok --

Using the Lakewood area of Atlanta for an example---

--primarily an industrial area

--I think an auto manufacturer was one of the big employers

-others were employed by the military/Fort MacPherson

--rural area--with the projects located nearby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakewood_Heights,_Atlanta

```
<Lakewood Heights developed as the result of three separate forces:[3]
The streetcar line along Jonesboro Road, which enabled commercial and residential development along the corridor
Parallel to that, development of an industrial area including the General Motors Lakewood Assembly plant
Development of a black neighborhood around the Gammon Theological Seminary and Clark University, now the site of The New Schools at Carver high school
Development of the Southeast Regional Fairgrounds on the site of the city&#8217;s first waterworks plant along Lakewood Avenue &#8212; streetcar access from Downtown Atlanta enabled subsequent development of public and private housing projects along Pryor Road, then a major artery to and from downtown

One section of Lakewood Heights is Oak Knoll, which was noted in a 1937 meeting between Techwood Homes organizer Charles Forrest Palmer, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, first lady Eleanor Roosevelt and Secretary of the Treasury Henry Morgenthau, Jr.. Roosevelt was delighted that private enterprise &#8212; backed by guarantees the Federal Housing Administration &#8212; could provide good homes at moderate rentals. The conversation about Oak Knoll drew the conclusion that private projects were in fact strengthened by public housing projects serving as a "pace setter", and helped support arguments for a more proactive nationwide public housing policy.[4] The house at 1099 Oak Knoll Drive was featured in a 1938 issue of Life magazine, as it was a Life "model house"; the model kits were available for purchase from retailers around the country.[5]

The neighborhood was home to the Lakewood Fairgrounds which until 1979 had a racetrack, Lakewood Speedway. Now the Hi-Fi Buys (a.k.a. Aaron's) Amphitheater is located on the old fairgrounds
>

Last edited:

Forum List

Back