Do you have a television licence?

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Check if you need a TV Licence
You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

TV Licensing - Home

Check if you need a TV Licence
You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

TV Licensing - Home
Most of the posters on this site are Americans....so no.

That's kind of an outrageous little thing...how do they enforce that?

I can't access the link you've provided. I'm at work.

What happens if I don't have a TV Licence?

Using a TV or any other device (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC) to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV without a valid TV Licence is against the law and could lead to prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000 (this fine varies in Guernsey and Jersey), not to mention the embarrassment and hassle of a court appearance.

You can buy a TV Licence online.

TV Licensing - What happens if I don t have a TV Licence

When television broadcasts in the UK were resumed after a break because of the Second World War, it was decided to introduce a television licence fee in order to finance the service. When first introduced on 1 June 1946, the licence covering the monochrome-only single-channel BBC television service cost £2 (£72.38 as of 2014)[28]. The licence was originally issued by the General Post Office (GPO), which was then the regulator of public communications within the UK. The GPO also issued licences for home radio receivers powered by mains electricity [29]and was mandated by laws beginning with the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1904, to administer the licensing system. Households which bought a TV licence did not need to hold a separate radio licence as the TV licence covered both TV and radio reception.

The BBC started regular TV transmissions in colour from the summer of 1967.[30] On 1 January 1968, a 'colour supplement' of £5 was added to the existing £5 monochrome licence fee; the combined colour licence fee was therefore £10, the equivalent of (£151.32 as of 2014). The current (2010–2016) cash cost is £145.50 for colour TV and £49 for monochrome TV, per household.[31]

The radio only licence was abolished in 1971, when it was £1.25 (£18.91 in 2014 prices).

In 1991, the BBC took over the administration of television licensing in the UK.[11]

Television licensing in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back