Do you get misty eyed over veterans?

Their sacrifices over the years have allowed people of your unappreciative ilk to post drivel like this on message boards.

I appreciate the lives of brave men and women more than our fucking government does.

Tell me how did sending tens of thousands of brave men to die in Vietnam do anything to make us safer?

Vietnam was no threat to us. How about Korea? Iraq? Afghanistan?

These were all undeclared wars motivated by political gamesmanship.

Was Iwo Jima or Normandy Beach a threat? I guess we could have just left the Japanese and Germans alone and went home, huh,

The Japanese attacked us on our own homeland.

We declared war on Japan and Japan's allies declared war on us. That war was a justified defense of the nation.

Tell me how does Vietnam compare to WWII? Korea?

If you can't see the difference then you're not good for much other than cannon fodder.

Last edited:
When I hear stories about veterans I get choked up.

When I'm hearing it, I'm caught up in listening. But when the story is over I notice I'm misty eyed or I have goose bumps. Maybe it's not remarkable. But I've only noticed it in recent years. Getting very sentimental in my old age.

The most recent time was listening to NBC news tonight and they mentioned the passing of Florence Green, the last known veteran of WWI.

BBC News - 'World's last' WWI veteran Florence Green dies aged 110

I've hesitated to mention this because I know I'm such a spectator and can't comprehend the sacrifices veterans have made. But well ... I'm moved.

No....................

The Japanese attacked us on own homeland.

Al Queda attacked us on our own homeland, assbrain.

And that justifies the full scale invasion of 2 countries in undeclared wars?

Al Qaeda is not a country but rather a loose coalition of thugs and is most likely just another government boogeyman being used to scare us into thinking that all the killing in Iraq and Afghanistan was justified. BTW neither of those wars is justified.

Invading 2 countries to find a few terrorists is a misuse of military power. The leader of those who pulled off 9/11 is dead so who are we killing now and what exactly have they done to us?

But no answer for the Vietnam or Korea comparisons huh?

It's OK if you can't think for yourself as I said every army needs cannon fodder.

Last edited:
how is the truth political?

I've never had a veteran ask me about the geo-political implications of the war in Vietnam. I have my opinions and they have theirs, but they usually go unspoken. We talk about getting shot at, what it's like to watch your friends die, the futility and brutality of war, of serving your country. We speak of duty, honor, integrity...

It is the "truth" that you choose to believe or not believe. War, for those who have served, is not political...

well it's not political in the sense that those who served didn't get a whole lotta say in it

if they were told to go to Mars, they went

~S~

A long time friend-coworker died of an accident a few years back.
We all knew he served in Vietnam, every once in a while he would say something he remembered.
We knew he was a gunner on a helicopter which I knew that meant he had killed plenty. We all knew he was shot in the leg and arm.
What we didn't know was the story told at his funeral by his pastor. There wasn't a dry eye in the room - including mine.
--- He was on a rescue mission picking up wounded. They went back and forth a couple times picking them up and dropping them off in safe areas. It was getting dark and everyone knew there could only be one more trip. They arrived at the pickup point and began loading more wounded. It became obvious that they couldn't fit everyone. Until my long time friend did something that few of us would consider...he unhooked his gun jumped off the helicopter, helped load the LAST guy on and told the pilot to take off.
He stayed all night in the middle of a jungle surrounded by enemy forces that he luckily managed to not alert - all by himself. He gave up his spot to someone he never met, and never did know who he was.

That is a soldier.

Yes. My uncle was a Vietnam Vet and when I see or hear a Vet, it reminds me of him. The man that came back from Vietnam wasn't the same man that left.

What makes you an expert on war? Did you ever serve in our Armed Forces?

Lewis (Chesty) Puller is the patron saint of Marines. When his forces were surrounded by the enemy in Korea, Puller proclaimed, “Great, now we can shoot at those bastards from every direction.” He also said, “Take me to the brig. I want to see the real Marines.”

Puller was a tough motherfucker and so were his troops. This prompted the following comment from a former president's wife:

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

- Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Marines have two mottoes: “Semper Fidelis,” and “Death Before Dishonor.” Taken together, these principles form the highest standard of conduct imaginable.

Semper Fidelis (always faithful): This is a declaration of the unfaltering loyalty to the Corps and its mission.

Death before dishonor: This means that Honor is the ultimate guiding principle. The willingness to fight and die for Honor itself is the dominating code of a truly noble warrior.

Everyone has heard these words: “To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man” (William Shakespeare). Marines live these words. Marines are not politicians; they are first, last and always warriors (killers if you prefer). Others declare wars; Marines fight them. The motives of the political class could never diminish the bravery and the honor of those who fought.

The Professor – Radio-telegraph operator and forward air controller in the old Corps.

As much of a little prick that my stepson is, yeah I got choked up when he came home from Afghanastan with a Bronze Star. I read the Defense Department's account of his actions and he's lucky to be alive- as are those of the lives he saved. He's gone back for round two and won't be back until Junevember ish. Flag's on the porch. Light is on.

Since most of those brave men and women who died in service in the past 60 years did so in undeclared wars that had political motivations and nothing to do with the defense of the country, we should all be sad and ashamed that their lives were wasted by the country they served.
OOOOOboy. You're in trouble now !!

War, for those who have served, is not political...

how untrue...for those who served came back and protested the hell outta the war

IF, a veteran of the Vietnam war came back and protested that action, then he has EVERY right to do so. Personally, and obviously I've not spoken with EVERY veteran about this, but I know what when I have been with a group of veterans and we discuss those who protest, it is usually NOT a very positive discussion. I have yet to speak to a veteran of the Vietnam war who has anything good to say about John Kerry and what he did. That is why I PROUDLY display a bumper sticker on my truck which says "VIETNAM VETERANS AGAINST JOHN KERRY." His characterizations of Vietnam Veterans to Congress was a lie; it was a political tactic to endear him to the anti-war movement so he could get elected to office; and it demeaned each and every one of us.

As a matter of fact, the ONLY veteran I ever spoke to who admitted to going to a protest against the war told me that he did so because another veteran had told him that there would be a lot of women there! We laughed a lot about that.

There are over 3 million men and women who served during the Vietnam conflict. I don't think even 100,000 are a very good representation of them. And the Vietnam Veterans Against the War NEVER had even half that many members. I was there; I volunteered for Vietnam; and I didn't like the war. But it's not the war I honor. It's those men and women who served.

I like you, but you have an agenda and it is obvious. You deny that anti-war protestors spit on returning veterans. And for some reason, you think that every veteran should somehow stand for this political "truth" you hold dear. No, I only stand for those veterans.

What makes you an expert on war? Did you ever serve in our Armed Forces?

Lewis (Chesty) Puller is the patron saint of Marines. When his forces were surrounded by the enemy in Korea, Puller proclaimed, “Great, now we can shoot at those bastards from every direction.” He also said, “Take me to the brig. I want to see the real Marines.”

Puller was a tough motherfucker and so were his troops. This prompted the following comment from a former president's wife:

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

- Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Marines have two mottoes: “Semper Fidelis,” and “Death Before Dishonor.” Taken together, these principles form the highest standard of conduct imaginable.

Semper Fidelis (always faithful): This is a declaration of the unfaltering loyalty to the Corps and its mission.

Death before dishonor: This means that Honor is the ultimate guiding principle. The willingness to fight and die for Honor itself is the dominating code of a truly noble warrior.

Everyone has heard these words: “To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man” (William Shakespeare). Marines live these words. Marines are not politicians; they are first, last and always warriors (killers if you prefer). Others declare wars; Marines fight them. The motives of the political class could never diminish the bravery and the honor of those who fought.

The Professor – Radio-telegraph operator and forward air controller in the old Corps.

FDR and Eleanor's son James served with the 1st Marine Raider Bn during WWII.

Ronald Reagan stated: "People spend a lifetime trying to make a difference, Marines don't have that problem".

how is the truth political?

I've never had a veteran ask me about the geo-political implications of the war in Vietnam. I have my opinions and they have theirs, but they usually go unspoken. We talk about getting shot at, what it's like to watch your friends die, the futility and brutality of war, of serving your country. We speak of duty, honor, integrity...

It is the "truth" that you choose to believe or not believe. War, for those who have served, is not political...

well it's not political in the sense that those who served didn't get a whole lotta say in it

if they were told to go to Mars, they went

~S~
= meatheads.

No, I don't get misty eyed over veterans. So many of the veterans who I know of who suffered injury in the service to our country have learned to cope with their injuries and go on living normal lives.

I do regret that some have found themselves in conditions where they are homeless and seemingly uncared for, but I don't get misty eyed over that either.

What makes me misty eyed is the young child who is battling a life threatening disease. I can't bare to watch movies about kids dying from some horrible disease.

Immie

Since most of those brave men and women who died in service in the past 60 years did so in undeclared wars that had political motivations and nothing to do with the defense of the country, we should all be sad and ashamed that their lives were wasted by the country they served.

I don't agree that all the wars we fought in for the last 60 years were un necessary, I think Korea was the right thing to do and Gulf War 1 as well.

When I hear stories about veterans I get choked up.

When I'm hearing it, I'm caught up in listening. But when the story is over I notice I'm misty eyed or I have goose bumps. Maybe it's not remarkable. But I've only noticed it in recent years. Getting very sentimental in my old age.

The most recent time was listening to NBC news tonight and they mentioned the passing of Florence Green, the last known veteran of WWI.

BBC News - 'World's last' WWI veteran Florence Green dies aged 110

I've hesitated to mention this because I know I'm such a spectator and can't comprehend the sacrifices veterans have made. But well ... I'm moved.

I get mad, and cry. Tears enrage me, because they make me feel weak. That weakness made me want to write, .

Last edited:
[...]

I like you, but you have an agenda and it is obvious. You deny that anti-war protestors spit on returning veterans. And for some reason, you think that every veteran should somehow stand for this political "truth" you hold dear. No, I only stand for those veterans.
The following is taken from an article by Jerry Lembke, author of The Spitting Image, which is based on the myth of returning Vietnam veterans being spat on.

(Excerpt)

Stories of spat-upon Vietnam veterans are bogus. Born out of accusations made by the Nixon administration, they were enlivened in popular culture (recall Rambo saying he was spat on by those maggots at the airport) and enhanced in the imaginations of Vietnam-generation men - some veterans, some not. The stories besmirch the reputation of the anti-war movement and help construct an alibi for why we lost the war: had it not been for the betrayal by liberals in Washington and radicals in the street, we could have defeated the Vietnamese. The stories also erase from public memory the image, discomforting to some Americans, of Vietnam veterans who helped end the carnage they had been part of.

(Close)

Jerry Lembcke is the author of "The Spitting Image: Myth, Memory, and the Legacy of Vietnam" (New York University Press, 1998). Jerry is the New England contact for VVAW. He is also an associate professor of sociology at Holy Cross College in Worcester, Massachusetts and can be reached at 508-793-3050 or [email protected]. His book is available from Amazon.

I was a Vietnam protester. Along with many veterans of the fighting in Vietnam, Korea, and a few from WW-II, I attended quite a few rallies and demonstrations against the Vietnam conflict and I have this question for you: Did you actually see anyone spit on a returning veteran? If so, what did you do about it? If not, why are you willing to believe it ever happened?

Present-day recollection of the Vietnem protest is fixed on the Jane Fonda cult's response to revelations of the My Lai Massacre. While media attention focused on the so-called "long-hair hippies" behavior during demonstrations I assure you that category of protester represented a very small percentage of the overall movement. The main thrust of the movement consisted mainly of very ordinary, respectable and law-abiding citizens who were against the fighting -- not the troops. Compared to the hell-raising "long-hairs" the main component of the protest consisted of relatively peaceful demonstrations at congress and senate offices, letter-writing and phone-calling campaigns -- activities which were not very interesting for six o'clock news coverage.

Our main concern was raising public awareness to the fact that there was absolutely no good reason for our actions in Vietnam. And the main source of resistance to our message was the category known as "war lovers," which is well represented in this thread.

Forum List

Back