Do you get angry when you see strangers when you are out in public?

imisslily

Sep 11, 2018
I notice that I get very annoyed and angry easily when I am out in public and see lots of people. I think there is something wrong with me, I ask my friends and they say they dont mind crowds at all and do not feel angry or anxious.

Any idea on whats wrong with me and how I can fix it? I dont like being angry but I cannot control it

Doesn't sound like a phobia, just a little neurosis. If just forcing yourself to stay out in crowds longer and longer periods doesn't desensitize you, you might try meditation therapy or maybe a public speaking class or something.

I used to recommend professional help but most of those in the so-called 'mental health' professions are crazed loons themselves now; the careers attracts sickos like magnets. I foregt the name for it but if you do a search I'm sure you find it and maybe some remedies online.

I notice that I get very annoyed and angry easily when I am out in public and see lots of people. I think there is something wrong with me, I ask my friends and they say they dont mind crowds at all and do not feel angry or anxious.

Any idea on whats wrong with me and how I can fix it? I dont like being angry but I cannot control it
This sounds like something that, while troubling, can be resolved with a little counseling. I know that NLP can be very effective in such cases. Take the initiative to alleviate this problem. You deserve to be free of it.

Yeah, I’m no expert, but I hope you find help with your problem

• Banned
Doesn't sound like a phobia, just a little neurosis. If just forcing yourself to stay out in crowds longer and longer periods doesn't desensitize you, you might try meditation therapy or maybe a public speaking class or something.

I used to recommend professional help but most of those in the so-called 'mental health' professions are crazed loons themselves now; the careers attracts sickos like magnets. I foregt the name for it but if you do a search I'm sure you find it and maybe some remedies online.
i have tried to desensitise myself
i have recently went to the crowded city and bars etc and it was hell i was full of anxiety and some anger too
i thought after that, going to work would be easy since theres way less people. still find it hard

might try therapy

Why do you want to fix it?

I do not like crowds, never have and I haven't missed much by avoiding crowds in fact I would say I have benefited from it

I took to more solitary pursuits. Backpacking was and still is my favorite activity and I have been places few people see.

So don't try to be like everyone else and embrace what makes you you

• Banned

I do not like crowds, never have and I haven't missed much by avoiding crowds in fact I would say I have benefited from it

I took to more solitary pursuits. Backpacking was and still is my favorite activity and I have been places few people see.

Because there are things I need to do that involves being around crowds, e.g. working, going out with friends ( i like spending time with people i know, but not random crowds)
I want to be able to handle crowds, and not get angry and anxious. Otherwise my life will just be me being stuck in my room 24/7 and isolated from the outside world

Best answer is to seek out professional advice and not look for it here.

As for me I want to genocide all of humanity throughout the Universe, so yeah I have massive issues, and you might also!!!

Yeah, I’m no expert, but I hope you find help with your problem

LOL...

Yeah, who would have thought this poster had mental health issues?

Next thing you know Dr Hate or Deanturd will be asking if their urge to build gulags and cremate everyone who rejects global warming and worshiping Stalin is an issue.

Because there are things I need to do that involves being around crowds, e.g. working, going out with friends ( i like spending time with people i know, but not random crowds)
I want to be able to handle crowds, and not get angry and anxious. Otherwise my life will just be me being stuck in my room 24/7 and isolated from the outside world

I'm a war vet, I've seen the aftermath of what it looks like when Achmed wanders into a crowd, shouts "Aloha Snackbar!" just before detonation. Something like that will make you less than comfortable in crowds. I deal with the anxiety and carry a .45 ACP as an illusion of security.

If you have a problem like this without having suffered such trauma, you probably need psychological help.

I would have told you that after seeing your first 6 thread posts also.

I'm a war vet, I've seen the aftermath of what it looks like when Achmed wanders into a crowd, shouts "Aloha Snackbar!" just before detonation. Something like that will make you less than comfortable in crowds. I deal with the anxiety and carry a .45 ACP as an illusion of security.

If you have a problem like this without having suffered such trauma, you probably need psychological help.

my anxiety is much different. I don't fear for my life or safety or feel like i could get hurt. I just feel uncomfortable around strangers and i have no idea why. i know they are doing nothing to me, but for some reason i get panic attacks.

been on 8 different medications, including antidepressants and anti anxiety meds. will look into therapy with a psychologist soon

my anxiety is much different. I don't fear for my life or safety or feel like i could get hurt. I just feel uncomfortable around strangers and i have no idea why. i know they are doing nothing to me, but for some reason i get panic attacks.

been on 8 different medications, including antidepressants and anti anxiety meds. will look into therapy with a psychologist soon

Pete may be on to something, because it is the first thing I thought of.

Believe it of not, it is a somewhat common problem for returning veterans. Discomfort (anxiety) and irritability in crowds can stem from several issues and you may want to find someone to discuss the matter with on a more personal level. It's important to remember that what you are suffering is most likely the product of a natural response, but simply accented in your case.

Try to think of the matter in a "control" sense. If your job requires you work with crowds, and at the same time requires you manage how you are represented in that crowd, the more people you add to the crowd, the less control you have. As control diminishes, anxiety increases. As anxiety increases, judgment is influenced, and defense mechanisms kick in.

A common defense mechanism (although it varies in degrees), is "fight or flight". If the crowd makes you feel "boxed in", or your job and/or purpose for being in the crowd requires you to stay (you could just be with friends who don't want to leave), then your "flight" response is negated. That leaves "fight", or at the least "hostility". Once fight or hostility kicks in, your judgment goes to crap, because you are trying to manage internally perceived threats (you don't even have to consciously recognize) that may not even be there (outside of what you are thinking about others).

Good News: If you are young, there's a 50% chance it will get better with more experience, as you recognize how to address specific concerns and let some things slide (it's still going to have to be a conscience effort for a little while).

Bad News: For those who cannot develop the ability to more productively manage the encounters, the best treatment for the symptoms is illegal in most states (marijuana). I'm not saying you have to be an "all bent stoner", but a hit will reduce anxiety, feelings of hostility, and immediate desire for conflict fairly effectively. It's worked with veterans, but still isn't an approved treatment.

Before you spend a lot of money on a private physician, try talking to someone in a local veteran's support group, for better options. You don't have to be a veteran, and they may have better material for helping you understand the problem and options. Or they may just be able to point you towards a physician that has more experience treating your specific concern. It is a common problem.

Last edited:

Define crowd

And as I said you don't have be stuck inside
And how many friends do you really need? I can count my friends on one hand. and in fact my wife is my best friend and sh'es as much of an introvert as I am. We go out but we also stay focused on each other so as far as I'm concerned there is no crowd

Find a line of work that allows a more solitary environment or at least one where you will deal with fewer people.

But then again how many people in your company do you actually deal with? If it's a large company I,m willing to be you only have to deal with a very small percentage of them

Introverts: There's Nothing Wrong With You

Smith & Wesson can both help you out with that.

Define crowd

And how many friends do you really need? I can count my friends on one hand. and in fact my wife is my best friend and sh'es as much of an introvert as I am. We go out but we also stay focused on each other so as far as I'm concerned there is no crowd

Find a line of work that allows a more solitary environment or at least one where you will deal with fewer people.

But then again how many people in your company do you actually deal with? If it's a large company I,m willing to be you only have to deal with a very small percentage of them

by crowd i mean a group of strangers. its not just crowds, even one stranger can give me anxiety. Of course, small crowds like at my work or a small restaurant i can manage. but when i am in a really busy place with say hundreds of people like at a shopping mall or city, my anxiety is extremely terrible.
the strange thing is, they dont do anything to me, and thats why i know theres something i need to fix for myself.

`
My family and I live out in the boonies, miles from my nearest neighbor. I enjoy the solitude but also throw big parties for the locals and their guests. I go to Packer games, large conventions and other people cramming events. No problemo.

Define crowd

by crowd i mean a group of strangers. its not just crowds, even one stranger can give me anxiety. Of course, small crowds like at my work or a small restaurant i can manage. but when i am in a really busy place with say hundreds of people like at a shopping mall or city, my anxiety is extremely terrible.
the strange thing is, they dont do anything to me, and thats why i know theres something i need to fix for myself.

You are not missing anything by not going to the mall.

And do you really have to visit a city? I hate cities and avoid them like the plague.

IMO your biggest problem is that you think you need to be fixed

You don't.

There is nothing wrong with you

Accept yourself and your feelings and you might just find that you can handle your anxiety better

Last edited:
Perhaps you are afraid of being recognized and sent back to prison. ;)

Forum List

Back