Do you believe in drilling?

wihosa

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2008
It's like saying if everyone on the Titanic had simply started bailing she wouldn't have gone down.

Even if we produced every bit of oil under American soil, every drop, we would still import over half the the oil we use.

All renewed drilling would accomplish is to delay the day of reckoning by a few years at best. And in the meantime, we cede leadership in the technologies of the future.

The truth is, the idea of drilling for oil as an answer to our energy needs is only good for the bumper sticker makers.

It's like saying if everyone on the Titanic had simply started bailing she wouldn't have gone down.

Even if we produced every bit of oil under American soil, every drop, we would still import over half the the oil we use.

All renewed drilling would accomplish is to delay the day of reckoning by a few years at best. And in the meantime, we cede leadership in the technologies of the future.

The truth is, the idea of drilling for oil as an answer to our energy needs is only good for the bumper sticker makers.

1. Lie.
2. Pot meet kettle.

1. Lie.
2. Pot meet kettle.

Ok, what percentage would we still import? Are you claiming that if the "damn environmentalists" would just let the multi national corporations drill where ever they wished that we would not have to import any oil?

I agree. I'm not totally against drilling for off-shore oil but thinking that is anything but a short-term solution isn't being realistic. IMO. We need to let oil companies go after this oil without pushing them into it and concentrate on other energy resources.

I agree. I'm not totally against drilling for off-shore oil but thinking that is anything but a short-term solution isn't being realistic. IMO. We need to let oil companies go after this oil without pushing them into it and concentrate on other energy resources.

If you guys want to have honest debate about this, then stop talking out of your asses and find some real UNBIASED numbers.

Numbers like how many barrels of oil do we we consumer in a year? How many barrels of oil do we currently know are in the ground?

This of course assumes that everything remained status quo, that is the percentage of homes using solar panels will remain the same and the percentage of automobiles running on gas will remain the same, etc.

If you guys want to have honest debate about this, then stop talking out of your asses and find some real UNBIASED numbers.

Numbers like how many barrels of oil do we we consumer in a year? How many barrels of oil do we currently know are in the ground?

This of course assumes that everything remained status quo, that is the percentage of homes using solar panels will remain the same and the percentage of automobiles running on gas will remain the same, etc.

If you think I'm talking through my ass what's the point?:confused: I made a case aginst drilling for off-shore oil versus conservation in another thread but that might be biased because it used Department of Energy figures.

Do you deny that we are importing almost 70% of the oil we burn? Do you really think that is because there is that much under American soil and we're just not allowing oil companies to drill for it? Do I really have to go search for facts and figures only for you to deny them anyway? Do you think that oil deposits can't be pumped dry? Would oil companies go half way around the world for their raw materials if they were sitting on top of it?

Just proves, common sense isn't all that common.

Do you deny that we are importing almost 70% of the oil we burn?

No, but not what I asked either

Do you really think that is because there is that much under American soil and we're just not allowing oil companies to drill for it?

Some estimates suggest there is as much as 9 trillion barrels in the rockies. And yes it is exactley because we aren't being allowed to get it.

Do I really have to go search for facts and figures only for you to deny them anyway? Do you think that oil deposits can't be pumped dry?

Nice but old strategy. The "I'll baseslessly assume your response so I don't I have to actially prove my point" argument. And yes sinc oil is finite it can be pumped dry. The question is in how long. Some quick research I looked at showes the entire world uses about 30 billion barrels of oil a year. If what is under the rockies alone is even close to accurate I'm thing we're gonna be okay as far as supply goes for a while (by while I mean a long while)

Would oil companies go half way around the world for their raw materials if they were sitting on top of it?

When they don't have to deal with the EPA, Green Peace or the Sierra Club here? yeah i think so

Why is it an either-or proposition?

We import 12 Million barrels a day, or 60% of all the oil we use. Yes Drilling could replace it all, eventually.

Eventually? Well sure in a few hundred million years there may be new petrolium reserves under what is presently America...

You can't really believe that drilling could increase domestic production by 12 million barrels. Even the oil companies don't say that.

Wait, let me guess, global warming is just a get rich scheme by Al Gore, evolution is "just a theory" and... oh hell what's the point.

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

This is oil shale correct? Where did the 9 trillion barrel figure come from?

That is what is suspected. The 9 trillion was my mistake. Just a few sources suggest anywhere from the high hundered billions to the low trillions in shale. The issue is getting it. However, if Kirk and Wihosa can use the argument that technology will improve for these 'clean' alternatives, which it will, then certainly the same can be said for these oil deposits.

Rocky Mountain Oil

Stansberry & Associates - Matt Badiali's Oil Report

Eventually? Well sure in a few hundred million years there may be new petrolium reserves under what is presently America...

You can't really believe that drilling could increase domestic production by 12 million barrels. Even the oil companies don't say that.

Man you are a stupid one arn't you.

Yes, domestic drilling and Shale oil production could increase Domestic supply by 12 million barrels a day, or even more eventually.

Wait, let me guess, global warming is just a get rich scheme by Al Gore, evolution is "just a theory" and... oh hell what's the point.

No Global Warming is an undeniable fact, and is happening.

However Gore is getting rich off his movie, book, and Carbon Credit trading scams.

I believe whole heartedly in Evolution.

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

You are right about that, You are just wrong about who is Blind. I suggest a visit to the Eye Doctor pal.

That is what is suspected. The 9 trillion was my mistake. Just a few sources suggest anywhere from the high hundered billions to the low trillions in shale. The issue is getting it. However, if Kirk and Wihosa can use the argument that technology will improve for these 'clean' alternatives, which it will, then certainly the same can be said for these oil deposits.

Rocky Mountain Oil

Stansberry & Associates - Matt Badiali's Oil Report

The 9 trillion figure had me scratching my head there for a minute. :lol:

From one of your links:

Ultimately, the study concluded, “Under high growth assumptions, an oil shale production level of 1 million barrels per day is probably more than 20 years in the future, and 3 million barrels per day is probably more than 30 years into the future.” This means that any investments based on oil shale’s future are significantly speculative and long-term.

This seems to be more of a resource that we can develop along with other sources, but it seems to be a long term investment. I also read in an article that this grade of oil isn't good for gasoline, though I'm still researching that.

New Topics

Forum List

Back