Do You Believe in an Afterlife?

Sometimes after spending too much time on USMB I wonder if there really is such a thing as that "real world" people keep mentioning.

Yes. But a lot of people spend a lot of time trying to avoid the real world.

Last edited:
So AVG-JOE started a thread about living forever and in it he made this statement:

"Even though I truly believe that death is the end, without it to look forward to, I feel I would go insane."

My question is do you believe that death is the end or do you believe in any type of afterlife?

Some of you might remember a few months back I wrote about my cousin dying. That thread was questioning my cousin's husband and daughter's decision to go to a wedding the day after she died (I thought it a bit odd and wanted to know what others thought). Anyway, a few nights ago my cousin's husband, Jimmy, was asleep. He heard some kind of buzzing noise in his ear and it woke him up. He then felt two hands starting to massage his shoulders. He turned around and there was Joan, his deceased wife. She said to him (I'm paraphrasing a bit): "Don't worry about anything, everything will be ok. YOU are going to be ok. And don't worry about me, I am fine". She then got off the bed and started to walk away. He followed her and when he rounded the corner she was gone.

I know many of you might say he was just dreaming and perhaps he was. He certainly doesn't think he was and after it happened he said he felt better than he'd felt in a long, long time. It gave him enormous comfort.

Do you think he was just dreaming or do you believe that the dead can come back to us at times?

This is a good read Zoom, I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner.
Actually, I do believe people can "come back" in some way. I know some people have told me it is wishful thinking, and we wish to have our loved ones here, so we dream about them and wishful thinking gets away with our minds- but I do believe the deceased may possibly have a way of comforting those left behind.
And even if it's not true, the comforting feeling we are left with, is not harming us- it is helpful in a way. Like you said, it gave your cousin's husband such comfort.
After my Mother passed away, I longed to have dreamns of her, and I would always wish she would come to me, so I could 'feel' that she was indeed, in a happy place.
I did have a few dreams, and in each of them, my Mother is smiling and laughing and she looks like the happy healthy Mother she was, before cancer took over. And in one dream, she was on roller skates (God how my Mother loved to roller skate) :lol:
It was a good dream for me, left me with a good feeling.
I am not sure there is an afterlife, not really sure if I believe there is one. But because of my Mother, I like to think she is in a wonderful place, wherever that wonderful place may be *smiles*

So AVG-JOE started a thread about living forever and in it he made this statement:

"Even though I truly believe that death is the end, without it to look forward to, I feel I would go insane."

My question is do you believe that death is the end or do you believe in any type of afterlife?

Some of you might remember a few months back I wrote about my cousin dying. That thread was questioning my cousin's husband and daughter's decision to go to a wedding the day after she died (I thought it a bit odd and wanted to know what others thought). Anyway, a few nights ago my cousin's husband, Jimmy, was asleep. He heard some kind of buzzing noise in his ear and it woke him up. He then felt two hands starting to massage his shoulders. He turned around and there was Joan, his deceased wife. She said to him (I'm paraphrasing a bit): "Don't worry about anything, everything will be ok. YOU are going to be ok. And don't worry about me, I am fine". She then got off the bed and started to walk away. He followed her and when he rounded the corner she was gone.

I know many of you might say he was just dreaming and perhaps he was. He certainly doesn't think he was and after it happened he said he felt better than he'd felt in a long, long time. It gave him enormous comfort.

Do you think he was just dreaming or do you believe that the dead can come back to us at times?

I believe in an afterlife. And I believe loved ones come to comfort us.

I believe in an afterlife. And I believe loved ones come to comfort us.

I hope you're right. I miss my grandparents.

Hmm...as far as an afterlife, yes I do believe there is one.

I've heard of dead people communicating to people in dreams; I've never had this experience myself but have known some people who have.

No dream for me. It was real. But it wasnt human. It was animals.

Want to share? I haven't heard of anyone experiencing 'ghost animals' after the animal has died.

Long story. I'll try to make it brief.
The loss of my best friend (one of many). I was in mourning for weeks. One day he came back as a love bird. Appeared in front of my eyes then disappeared like in the movies. There, then not. Right in front of me and my other best friend who was also mourning the loss. Dogs can see things people can't. That day, he saw too. Both of us. Why a love bird? I don't know. But I knew in my heart it was my dog letting us both know he was ok. Soon after, my other dog died from cancer. I sat behind a building and cried for hours. Hidden from prying eyes, alone, in the bushes. In the field next to where I hid appeared thousands of dragonflies. Thousands. It calmed me seeing them. Few days later, my doorbell rang. Other dogs in the house barked as usual at the ring. I answered it. Nobody there. Except one dragonfly hovering no more thann 12 inches in front of my face. Looking at me. Then it flew off to my front yard where thousands of dragonflies were darting about like in a dance. I knew then. He was happy. Safe. Ok.

Admittedly I have some fairly extreme views (even to my own church).
I'll just give hugs to ZB, and keep on truckin'
:cool:

Short answer?
Yes

Sometimes I will feel my deceased cat jump on my bed. My cat that lives is in her bed. I can see her curled up. Dogs are in their beds. Nothing is on my bed but me. And my deceased cat. I can feel him jump up there. Lay on my legs. Warmth from his body. Makes me feel good.

I've already gotten several messages and way too obvious signs from my Dad who passed end of January, same way my Father in Law found a way to tell me he was OK right after he passed.

I find these threads amusing because we're a species who can't figure out what to do when the cable goes out, yet we're discussing eternity.

I've already gotten several messages and way too obvious signs from my Dad who passed end of January, same way my Father in Law found a way to tell me he was OK right after he passed.

I find these threads amusing because we're a species who can't figure out what to do when the cable goes out, yet we're discussing eternity.

This is so true!! :eusa_angel:

find these threads amusing because we're a species who can't figure out what to do when the cable goes out, yet we're discussing eternity.

We can only hope someone else is in charge of eternity. I have a kind neighbor here mowing my yard because I have been sick. He doesn't like flowers and he just ran over something that didn't sound good. I may never be able to work the flowers and herbs again, and whatever he hit can be replaced. I hope.

I am not saying there is not one, but I see no evidence for it.

We fear death, so we create one.

What I do know is that we can live on in the hearts and souls of those we loved and on and on like a chain of love until time breaks everything.

And maybe, just maybe, every real act of love creates it's own time that can not be broken at all.

Maybe, or so I like to believe.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
How come no one has come back and "told" us.

They only get a one-way ticket?

It's so nice there they forget to come back?

They are trapped and not allowed to leave?

Because there is no more? (this is the one that makes sense)

i have goose bumps head to toe!

these words:

"Don't worry about anything, everything will be ok. YOU are going to be ok. And don't worry about me, I am fine"

ARE the exact same words i heard when a close friend's mother came to me, in a dream, right after she passed on. ONLY she told me, to tell her son, all of the above....

.i say it was in a dream, that i got this message, but it felt sooooo real....i felt her presence....she was alive to me!

but it's very weird, that i was told by this ''presence'' what this widdowed guy was told by the 'presence' of his wife...

are we programmed to hear dead loved ones say this to us?

are dead loved ones given this ''line'' to tell us when we are disturbed about their deaths?

or did i really see, hear and feel the presence of Eric's mom, who i was very close, with before she died?

Forum List

Back