Do We Need A 'Conversation' About Race?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
So, the instructor says, go ahead, take a cookie....they're delicious. Just try one...go ahead. So you reach out to pinch just one little cookie from the pile and as you do, BAM! He slaps your hand!

And that, friends, is the state of the 'conversation' about race in America today.

The racist AG Holder claims that Americans are too cowardly to bring the subject to the floor... but as soon as one attempts it, takes the bait, Holder slaps your hand with "Holder sees 'racial animus' in opposition"
Holder sees 'racial animus' in opposition | TheHill

Which brings me to John McWhorter. "John Hamilton McWhorter V (born 1965) is an American linguist and political commentator. He is the author of a number of books on language and on race relations."
John McWhorter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1. In his usual well-considered prose, McWhorter discusses the difficult subject as "in fact, indicative of a certain psychic roadblock in enlightened black thought of late.

2. Theodore R. Johnson III, writing on NPR’s blog to tell us that when we hear an ice cream truck play “Turkey in the Straw,” we must understand that the tune has racist origins..... because ice cream parlors played minstrel songs in the nineteenth century, people in the 1920s and 1930s would have associated “Turkey in the Straw” with its unsavory alternate versions. In response to Johnson, I wrote that by the time those trucks existed, people thought of the tune as simply “Turkey in the Straw,” a song about the farm. No evidence exists that ice cream parlors were ever sites uniquely associated with racist music.

3. ... it is here that we encounter the psychic roadblock I referred to above. For Johnson, the main thing is that somehow, some way, we must “acknowledge” the racist history of that ice cream jingle—even if it requires bending over backward regarding the facts.

4. It’s revealing that Johnson is so deeply committed to showing that there is something racist about ice cream jingles—it tips us off that Johnson is ultimately talking about something much bigger than ice cream. His intent becomes clear in his final observation—that ice cream trucks have played other tunes with minstrel histories, such as the Stephen Foster chestnuts “Oh, Susanna” and “Camptown Races.”

5. No doubt, those tunes were racist in their original incarnations, with their dusting of “Negro” dialect and more (some of the lyrics to “Oh Susanna,” now unsung, show how sick America was at the time). But those songs were written back in the Gilded Age. As time passed, they seeped into America’s pop fabric as faceless little ditties. Almost no one learning “Camptown Races” (doo da, doo da) at camp, or while taking elementary piano lessons, has any idea that the song began as a black-oriented tune.

a. Or, think of what the expression “that sucks” really means—and note that, today, we never do.

6. But the question is how much we need to “consider,” eternally, the history of things .... Your average person is thinking about getting a popsicle or cone. Johnson wants us to stop, mid-lick, and “consider” that 130 years ago, people would have heard that tune and been as likely to associate it with its “Zip Coon” lyric as the “Turkey” one.

7. Johnson’s position is akin to Ta-Nehisi Coates’s in his Atlantic piece, “The Case for Reparations,” which was greeted with something approaching religious rapture in certain corners. Just as Johnson suggests ... Coates wants us to enlighten the person “scarfing their hot dogs on the Fourth of July while denying the facts of our heritage.” He wants an America where our racist history is not just something taught in school and commemorated in museums and Oscar-winning films and hit plays, as it currently is. To Coates, none of that is enough; America remains a country that “turns away” from acknowledging racism.

8. .... classifies critics of his first article as the sorts who “don’t get it,” who “don’t want to talk about race.” Coates seems to want America’s racist past to constitute an eternal, gnawing background awareness for all citizens,..."
The Case For Moving On by John H. McWhorter, City Journal 11 July 2014

McWhorter is warning us about individuals who wear their skin color as though it is a suppurating wound that never gets better, and never will.....yet the closest they've come to oppression is picking cotton out of an aspirin bottle.

McWhorter is a wise man....far wiser than the Holder's who aim to keep a wedge between the people of this nation.

I don't need a conversation about race PC, my scholar. I am burned out on the subject, and care nothing about it anymore. It has been used and abused and rendered vacuous in my sore head this morning...:lol:

I don't need a conversation about race PC, my scholar. I am burned out on the subject, and care nothing about it anymore. It has been used and abused and rendered vacuous in my sore head this morning...:lol:

Yours is the correct approach. A shrug.

The ploy by the Left is to keep the pot boiling...every day is Groundhog Day 1950 for them.

Seems to me, lots of black folks are getting tired of it, too. (e.g., McWhorter).

There'll only be an honest and constructive discussion on race, or rather the negativity of multiculturalsim, when those who wish to take part aren't under threat of losing their livelihood and reputation.

We should look and see how many race baiting threads are created by Teapers as opposed to the left.

The ploy by the Left is to keep the pot boiling...every day is Groundhog Day 1950 for them.

Seems to me, lots of black folks are getting tired of it, too. (e.g., McWhorter).

The people who are getting hurt the most by the race card meme are blacks themselves. I learned everything about race I needed to through a great intellectual black man. I'm sure you've read one or more, of Thomas Sowell's excellent books which puts it all into perspective. The race card is used by politicians for political gain, only. Blacks were better off before Affirmative Action.

Last edited by a moderator:

The people who are getting hurt the most by the race card meme are blacks themselves. I learned everything about race I needed to through a great intellectual black man. I'm sure you've read one or more, of Thomas Sowell's excellent books which puts it all into perspective. The race card is used by politicians for political gain, only. Blacks were better off before Affirmative Action.

Yeah...:doubt:

If someone disagrees with your ilk...you claim they are using the race card. If someone challenges an opinion of your ilk, you call them a racist. If your ilk calls someone a ******...you give them high fives.

Don't give me this nonsense about honest discussions about race. You people use the reverse race card every time so you can say what you please and censor your opposition.

If someone disagrees with your ilk...you claim they are using the race card. If someone challenges an opinion of your ilk, you call them a racist. If your ilk calls someone a ******...you give them high fives.

Don't give me this nonsense about honest discussions about race. You people use the reverse race card every time so you can say what you please and censor your opposition.

:cuckoo:

Teapers want to talk about race, but only on their terms. They are allowed to attack all blacks but no one is allowed to criticize them without being accused of using the race card.

We should look and see how many race baiting threads are created by Teapers as opposed to the left.

my thought exactly... i see a lot of whining about what 'the left' supposedly does but it's always the posers stirring shit up and perpetuating myths...

do we need a conversation about phony messageboard superheroes..? :lol:

Teapers want to talk about race, but only on their terms. They are allowed to attack all blacks but no one is allowed to criticize them without being accused of using the race card.

Why would you conflate this topic with anything to do with the Tea Party?

They come into such a conversation thinking that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are the leaders of all black people. The think that all blacks are members of the New Black Panthers and they think all blacks think alike and know each other...but they think they are having an honest discussion.

my thought exactly... i see a lot of whining about what 'the left' supposedly does but it's always the posers stirring shit up and perpetuating myths...

do we need a conversation about phony messageboard superheroes..? :lol:

To what "myth" are your referring?

Because most of you race baiting asses are teapers.

They come into such a conversation thinking that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are the leaders of all black people. The think that all blacks are members of the New Black Panthers and they think all blacks think alike and know each other...but they think they are having an honest discussion.

I don't have a leader.

Yours is......?

During the course of the day I intend to add more of John McWhorter's thoughts on any such 'conversation.'

You might get that chip off your shoulder and consider them.

I don't have a leader.

Yours is......?

During the course of the day I intend to add more of John McWhorter's thoughts on any such 'conversation.'

You might get that chip off your shoulder and consider them.

There it is...'chip on the shoulder'.

:lol: Typical tactic in any conversation about 'race' led by a teaper type. You cannot disagree with their premise or you have a chip on your shoulder, you are a racist, or whatever insult they can think of.

Because most of you race baiting asses are teapers.

Could you point out any "race baiting"?

As soon as you say something like...blacks won't allow you to talk about race...you are baiting. That means you have no intention of an honest discussion. Whenever someone starts spouting something about Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, it is race baiting.

When you say someone has a chip on their shoulder because yet another teaper started yet another race thread...it is a race baiting thread.

When your Teaper cohorts start spewing racist nonsense and you give them the thanks...it proves you are simply race baiting.

Forum List

Back