Do we have the right to be evil?

Not to nitpick but your premise here is incorrect (U.S.) Government has no RIGHTS, government only has the limited AUTHORITY that is explicitly granted to it by the consent of the governed (in this case that which is explicitly defined by the U.S. Constitution), people have RIGHTS which are derived from their humanity (or from their creator, however you choose to see it) not from the Constitution or any laws of man.

correct about government.

except, you state as fact the opinion that RIGHTS are derived from simply being a part of humanity. that is a philosophical view, not a fact.

Whether you progressives choose to accept it or not as far as the form of government and founding principles of the United States are concerned, it's a fact pal.

If you had a half a brian and paid any attention to what others actually say, and not what you imagine them saying...

...you'd know that I have more posts slamming progressives than most here.

I have always been a loud, proud liberal. Progressivism and populism are mass hysterical reactions to things. I do not do that very well, if at all.

now STFU before you speak.
:eusa_whistle:

Government always had that right, the constitution and our laws state such things.

Not to nitpick but your premise here is incorrect (U.S.) Government has no RIGHTS, government only has the limited AUTHORITY that is explicitly granted to it by the consent of the governed (in this case that which is explicitly defined by the U.S. Constitution), people have RIGHTS which are derived from their humanity (or from their creator, however you choose to see it) not from the Constitution or any laws of man.

except, you state as fact the opinion that RIGHTS are derived from simply being a part of humanity. that is a philosophical view, not a fact.

You probably believe that someone's rights are granted to them by the government but perhaps that idea is just your 'philosophical view' and not a fact.

It almost seems...

I certainly hope so. Just as we have the right to confront evil.

Your right to be an evil, little prick stops where it interferes with the rest of us enjoying the pursuit of happiness.

You seem to be right about that. Your right to be evil stops when it interferes with someone else's rights so things like murder, theft, or fraud can be made illegal for that reason.

thank you for going where most members fear to tread...you actually read what another posted instead of assuming an idiocy.

thank you.
:cool:

D.

It almost seems...

Your right to be an evil, little prick stops where it interferes with the rest of us enjoying the pursuit of happiness.

Well, when you defeat the evil you see in the mirror, let us know and we will consider whether you have a right to defeat it anywhere else.

Your self loathing is not my concern, I pay attention to what you actually say, not what you want to delude yourself or others into believing.

I have always been a loud, proud liberal. Progressivism and populism are mass hysterical reactions to things. I do not do that very well, if at all.
Given that you apparently don't even understand what the word "liberal" really means, I have serious doubts as to the veracity of your claims regarding anything, nor do I really care what you are "proud" of.

Your vision of government is not what the founders had in mind. It said Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness and if that happiness means doing things that others might deem as evil then what is to them?

You say that consenting adults should not be disallowed from engaging in immoral sex (homosexuality) yet get upset when consenting adults make a business transaction that benefits the people who makes the deal. Don't give me "at the expense of the people" crap because this transaction between consenting adults is repeated a billion times and everyone is happy.

Perhaps what you mean by "at the expense of the people" is $3.95 + tax.

ahh yes, the "that's not what the framers had in mind" stuff. Spoken to them lately? typical, if what we have today wasn't there intention, then they should of made it clear, so save me that garbage.

Umm, in case you didn't notice, the constitution guarantees the right to free speech. Complaining and voicing an opinion is not restricting anybody's freedom and not forcing business owners to not make money, so you seem like the typical dishonest person putting words in people's mouths and making stuff up. I'm limiting no ones freedom, the gay bashers are. I'm fighting for people's equality, when the people's lives that are trying to prevent others' freedoms are not being effected at all.. If you can't see that, then there is no point in conversing with you, as you are clearly not on a very high intellectual level, or are just being intellectually dishonest so you can hold on to your biases.

I don't know how you give a free pass to corporate CEOs making 20 million a year, while their workers struggle, many even with 2 incomes in their family. They take home 400 x the avg worker salary, over 40X from 50 years or so ago. They move jobs from their own country to pay slave wages in another, hurting the american economy. Why can't htey have a sense of civic and country pride, instead of trying to make millions more when they already are millionaires. How much money can you possibly have to be happy?

I give a free pass to CEOs because they sell us things for 3.95 + tax and on that item they might make .95. They did not steal that money but traded it. No one was harmed in the transaction. No theft, no murder, or fraud. That does not change when that same transaction is repeated 10 times or 1 million times.

naive you are. No harm in underpaying employees, cutting their pay or benefits at the slightest drop in profits, while the CEOs make million dollar bonuses? Unemployment getting high thanks to offshoring jobs so they can make even more money? Money over everything is what its become these days, even your country.

Whether you progressives choose to accept it or not as far as the form of government and founding principles of the United States are concerned, it's a fact pal.
did you even read what you responded to? apparently not. Stop letting your anti progressive/liberal bias cloud what people actually say

Your self loathing is not my concern, I pay attention to what you actually say, not what you want to delude yourself or others into believing.

Given that you apparently don't even understand what the word "liberal" really means, I have serious doubts as to the veracity of your claims regarding anything, nor do I really care what you are "proud" of.

As usual, even in the face of clearly being shown you didn't read what people post, you still deny it. Holy shit, nothing wrong with admitting you jumped the gun. But I guess in your mind, a dang progressive can't ever be right :lol:

No one is truly free if he is not allowed to be as evil as he wants to be. A free man is afforded unalienable rights to worship money if that is where his heart lies, the Devil if he is so inclined, be angry, hateful, racist, homophobic, sexist, or any other 'ist' you can think of - or -

He can give away all that he possesses, love God with all his heart and soul, be generous and loving and compassionate and caring and tolerant to a fault.

What he cannot do under the social contract by which we govern ourselves is to require another to agree with him or be like him or adopt his values and/or virtues or the lack thereof, or endanger others, especially the innocent or helpless, or otherwise infringe on the unalienable rights of anybody else to their life, liberty, and/or pursuit of happiness.

A free man is never denied the ability to acquire as much wealth as he can legally and ethically acquire. It does not matter that there are those who struggle so long as they are free to aspire to legally and ethically acquire as much wealth as they are capable of acquiring. If one person is not violating the unalienable, civil, legal, or Constitutional rights of another, what he achieves or accomplishes or acquires is his right to do.

The government seriously violates the social conract intended by the Constitution when it attempts to penalize the successful and reward the unsuccessful. In so doing it discourages success and encourages failure. And that too is evil.

ahh yes, the "that's not what the framers had in mind" stuff. Spoken to them lately? typical, if what we have today wasn't there intention, then they should of made it clear, so save me that garbage.

Umm, in case you didn't notice, the constitution guarantees the right to free speech. Complaining and voicing an opinion is not restricting anybody's freedom and not forcing business owners to not make money, so you seem like the typical dishonest person putting words in people's mouths and making stuff up. I'm limiting no ones freedom, the gay bashers are. I'm fighting for people's equality, when the people's lives that are trying to prevent others' freedoms are not being effected at all.. If you can't see that, then there is no point in conversing with you, as you are clearly not on a very high intellectual level, or are just being intellectually dishonest so you can hold on to your biases.

I don't know how you give a free pass to corporate CEOs making 20 million a year, while their workers struggle, many even with 2 incomes in their family. They take home 400 x the avg worker salary, over 40X from 50 years or so ago. They move jobs from their own country to pay slave wages in another, hurting the american economy. Why can't htey have a sense of civic and country pride, instead of trying to make millions more when they already are millionaires. How much money can you possibly have to be happy?

I give a free pass to CEOs because they sell us things for 3.95 + tax and on that item they might make .95. They did not steal that money but traded it. No one was harmed in the transaction. No theft, no murder, or fraud. That does not change when that same transaction is repeated 10 times or 1 million times.

naive you are. No harm in underpaying employees, cutting their pay or benefits at the slightest drop in profits, while the CEOs make million dollar bonuses? Unemployment getting high thanks to offshoring jobs so they can make even more money? Money over everything is what its become these days, even your country.

No harm is being done because harm implies that there is damage being done such as removing something that already exist. An underpaid employee is not being 'harmed' because his employment situation does not take away something he already had such as money because he gains money by doing it. Despite the fact that he gains are very little he still gains from doing it so no harm is being done to him by his employer.

Last edited:

No harm is being done because harm implies that there is damage being done such as removing something that already exist. An underpaid employee is not being 'harmed' because his employment situation does not take away something he already had such as money because he gains money by doing it. Despite the fact that he gains are very little he still gains from doing it so no harm is being done to him by his employer.

Think critically once in a while. people lose their jobs, they are trying to survive, don't have money. whgat are they going to do? Steal, rob, turn to selling drugs or crime. When poverty goes up, crime goes up, so I hardly see "no harm". ANd a starving family, you really think there is "no harm" in that?

Fantasyland we don't live in, we live in the real world where actions have real consequences

Think critically once in a while. people lose their jobs, they are trying to survive, don't have money. whgat are they going to do? Steal, rob, turn to selling drugs or crime. When poverty goes up, crime goes up, so I hardly see "no harm". ANd a starving family, you really think there is "no harm" in that?

Fantasyland we don't live in, we live in the real world where actions have real consequences

They could do all those things and harm everyone else but then the corp that fired them did not do the things that harmed anyone so how can you say that the corporation was responsible for doing any harm whatsoever in that situation.

Government always had that right, the constitution and our laws state such things.

You just saved Me the need to reply.

Governments have responsibilities but no rights. People have rights. Our Society is set up based upon chaining the power of government to the lowest possible denominator.

You just saved Me the need to reply.

Governments have responsibilities but no rights. People have rights. Our Society is set up based upon chaining the power of government to the lowest possible denominator.

Exactly.

It almost seems that the way liberals throw the word corporations around that they are some group of 'evil-doers' in or society on the level of child rapist. While I agree that there is always an element of greed in the desire for money but is that evil enough to hinder the freedom of someone else? A child molester might have the inclination to molest children but his freedom to do so is rightfully hindered by the government. Is his freedom being hindered because of it is evil or because it harms other people?

This is the argument that I am putting forth. When did our government assume the role of judge over what evil things we can or can not do? The declaration of independence states that government are formed for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness so if we find pleasure in pursuing massive amounts of wealth shouldn't we have the right to do so? And if we chose to do that do we deserve to have a government that hinders those actions simply because they think our activities produce a social evil? Is that not interfering with our freedom?

What I am asking is this. Don't we have the right to be evil? Surely adulterers are not jailed. Liars become rewarded in politics and the people who created DOS (Disk Operating System) are still walking free.

Is not the judgment of who is good and evil reserved for God only and not for man or the government?

:( Angry yes!!! Evil No!!! and Yes it is true!!! God is the only judge, and no man or woman shall take his place in the matters of good and evil!!!

It almost seems that the way liberals throw the word corporations around that they are some group of 'evil-doers' in or society on the level of child rapist. While I agree that there is always an element of greed in the desire for money but is that evil enough to hinder the freedom of someone else? A child molester might have the inclination to molest children but his freedom to do so is rightfully hindered by the government. Is his freedom being hindered because of it is evil or because it harms other people?

This is the argument that I am putting forth. When did our government assume the role of judge over what evil things we can or can not do? The declaration of independence states that government are formed for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness so if we find pleasure in pursuing massive amounts of wealth shouldn't we have the right to do so? And if we chose to do that do we deserve to have a government that hinders those actions simply because they think our activities produce a social evil? Is that not interfering with our freedom?

What I am asking is this. Don't we have the right to be evil? Surely adulterers are not jailed. Liars become rewarded in politics and the people who created DOS (Disk Operating System) are still walking free.

Is not the judgment of who is good and evil reserved for God only and not for man or the government?

:( Angry yes!!! Evil No!!! and Yes it is true!!! God is the only judge, and no man or woman shall take his place in the matters of good and evil!!!

We can disallow acting out evil in a way that infringes on the rights of another, but how can we believe in freedom and not otherwise allow anybody a right to be evil?

We can disallow acting out evil in a way that infringes on the rights of another, but how can we believe in freedom and not otherwise allow anybody a right to be evil?

Not only that but we can also disallow good deeds that might infringe on the rights of others such as my nanny-stater wife insisting I eat correctly and forcing me to excercise.

Not only that but we can also disallow good deeds that might infringe on the rights of others such as my nanny-stater wife insisting I eat correctly and forcing me to excercise.

Absolutely right.

We have the right to be racist, prejudiced, bigoted, or irrationally paranoid about anything we choose. We do not have the right to infringe the rights of those we fear, despise, or demean however.

We have the right to be hateful and bad tempered and ignorant and stupid and generally miserable human beings in our attitudes and disrespect for others. We do not have the right to impose that on them in a way that infringes on their right to life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness.

We have the right to be charitable, generous, loving, kind, compassionate, and people of flawless good will. We do not have the right to require anybody else to be like us.

Oh yeah, and that happens when anyone else owns anything that you don't have.

I have no clue what fantasy land you live in, but I suggest you not venture out into the areas where the rest of society lives.

Justice and Equal Distribution cannot Coexist.

Forum List

Back