Do we have the right to be evil?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ihopehefails, Jan 29, 2010.

1. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    It almost seems that the way liberals throw the word corporations around that they are some group of 'evil-doers' in or society on the level of child rapist. While I agree that there is always an element of greed in the desire for money but is that evil enough to hinder the freedom of someone else? A child molester might have the inclination to molest children but his freedom to do so is rightfully hindered by the government. Is his freedom being hindered because of it is evil or because it harms other people?

This is the argument that I am putting forth. When did our government assume the role of judge over what evil things we can or can not do? The declaration of independence states that government are formed for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness so if we find pleasure in pursuing massive amounts of wealth shouldn't we have the right to do so? And if we chose to do that do we deserve to have a government that hinders those actions simply because they think our activities produce a social evil? Is that not interfering with our freedom?

What I am asking is this. Don't we have the right to be evil? Surely adulterers are not jailed. Liars become rewarded in politics and the people who created DOS (Disk Operating System) are still walking free.

Is not the judgment of who is good and evil reserved for God only and not for man or the government?

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,195
    We are free to think and be evil. We simply cant act in a way that violates the law. But the freedom is there and should be there. Because without the freedom to be evil, we cannot choose to be good.

3. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Well if the declaration of independence states that governments are for the "pursuit of happiness" and that happiness involves getting stoned, visiting prostitutes, or any other vice then why can't we do that?

(not that I advocate for doing those things)

4. Dr Gregg

Dr Gregg BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Government always had that right, the constitution and our laws state such things. The government is in place to protect the people, and nobody is saying people can't make a lot of money. its the fact they go way overboard at the expense of the american people. ANd I fail to see any laws telling corporations how much money they can make. people may complain about it but I don't see the gov't at the moment doing so.

I don't think anybody has the right to be evil, since most people's view of being evil is harming other people or living beings, which I dont' think anybody has the right to do. But then some people jsut think having sex or homosexual sex between consenting adults is "evil"

5. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Your vision of government is not what the founders had in mind. It said Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness and if that happiness means doing things that others might deem as evil then what is to them?

You say that consenting adults should not be disallowed from engaging in immoral sex (homosexuality) yet get upset when consenting adults make a business transaction that benefits the people who makes the deal. Don't give me "at the expense of the people" crap because this transaction between consenting adults is repeated a billion times and everyone is happy.

Perhaps what you mean by "at the expense of the people" is $3.95 + tax.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  6. Dr Gregg

Dr Gregg BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +200
    ahh yes, the "that's not what the framers had in mind" stuff. Spoken to them lately? typical, if what we have today wasn't there intention, then they should of made it clear, so save me that garbage.

Umm, in case you didn't notice, the constitution guarantees the right to free speech. Complaining and voicing an opinion is not restricting anybody's freedom and not forcing business owners to not make money, so you seem like the typical dishonest person putting words in people's mouths and making stuff up. I'm limiting no ones freedom, the gay bashers are. I'm fighting for people's equality, when the people's lives that are trying to prevent others' freedoms are not being effected at all.. If you can't see that, then there is no point in conversing with you, as you are clearly not on a very high intellectual level, or are just being intellectually dishonest so you can hold on to your biases.

I don't know how you give a free pass to corporate CEOs making 20 million a year, while their workers struggle, many even with 2 incomes in their family. They take home 400 x the avg worker salary, over 40X from 50 years or so ago. They move jobs from their own country to pay slave wages in another, hurting the american economy. Why can't htey have a sense of civic and country pride, instead of trying to make millions more when they already are millionaires. How much money can you possibly have to be happy?

7. Dr Gregg

Dr Gregg BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +200
    'then what are you bitching about to me? You want to inhibit someone's pursuit of happiness (gays, at least that's how I took your last post to me, I could be wrong), then bitch that people who are not even forcing corporation and businesses to not make money are preventing business from pursuit of happiness?

And I agree with the above, if you are not impeding on other's freedoms, you should do what the hell you want

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I have the right to be however I wanna be. You have the right to try to stop me.

9. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,731
    You ask "Don't we have the right to be evil?" My answer: Apparently so. I base this on the fact that there are so many liberal Democrats.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    How did my last post suggest I wanted to inhibit someone's right to be gay? I just said it was immoral and if you read my OP I said you have a right to be as immoral as you want.