Do we have the right to be evil?

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2009
It almost seems that the way liberals throw the word corporations around that they are some group of 'evil-doers' in or society on the level of child rapist. While I agree that there is always an element of greed in the desire for money but is that evil enough to hinder the freedom of someone else? A child molester might have the inclination to molest children but his freedom to do so is rightfully hindered by the government. Is his freedom being hindered because of it is evil or because it harms other people?

This is the argument that I am putting forth. When did our government assume the role of judge over what evil things we can or can not do? The declaration of independence states that government are formed for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness so if we find pleasure in pursuing massive amounts of wealth shouldn't we have the right to do so? And if we chose to do that do we deserve to have a government that hinders those actions simply because they think our activities produce a social evil? Is that not interfering with our freedom?

What I am asking is this. Don't we have the right to be evil? Surely adulterers are not jailed. Liars become rewarded in politics and the people who created DOS (Disk Operating System) are still walking free.

Is not the judgment of who is good and evil reserved for God only and not for man or the government?

We are free to think and be evil. We simply cant act in a way that violates the law. But the freedom is there and should be there. Because without the freedom to be evil, we cannot choose to be good.

• Banned
We are free to think and be evil. We simply cant act in a way that violates the law. But the freedom is there and should be there. Because without the freedom to be evil, we cannot choose to be good.

Well if the declaration of independence states that governments are for the "pursuit of happiness" and that happiness involves getting stoned, visiting prostitutes, or any other vice then why can't we do that?

(not that I advocate for doing those things)

It almost seems that the way liberals throw the word corporations around that they are some group of 'evil-doers' in or society on the level of child rapist. While I agree that there is always an element of greed in the desire for money but is that evil enough to hinder the freedom of someone else? A child molester might have the inclination to molest children but his freedom to do so is rightfully hindered by the government. Is his freedom being hindered because of it is evil or because it harms other people?

This is the argument that I am putting forth. When did our government assume the role of judge over what evil things we can or can not do? The declaration of independence states that government are formed for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness so if we find pleasure in pursuing massive amounts of wealth shouldn't we have the right to do so? And if we chose to do that do we deserve to have a government that hinders those actions simply because they think our activities produce a social evil? Is that not interfering with our freedom?

What I am asking is this. Don't we have the right to be evil? Surely adulterers are not jailed. Liars become rewarded in politics and the people who created DOS (Disk Operating System) are still walking free.

Is not the judgment of who is good and evil reserved for God only and not for man or the government?

Government always had that right, the constitution and our laws state such things. The government is in place to protect the people, and nobody is saying people can't make a lot of money. its the fact they go way overboard at the expense of the american people. ANd I fail to see any laws telling corporations how much money they can make. people may complain about it but I don't see the gov't at the moment doing so.

I don't think anybody has the right to be evil, since most people's view of being evil is harming other people or living beings, which I dont' think anybody has the right to do. But then some people jsut think having sex or homosexual sex between consenting adults is "evil"

• Banned

Government always had that right, the constitution and our laws state such things. The government is in place to protect the people, and nobody is saying people can't make a lot of money. its the fact they go way overboard at the expense of the american people. ANd I fail to see any laws telling corporations how much money they can make. people may complain about it but I don't see the gov't at the moment doing so.

I don't think anybody has the right to be evil, since most people's view of being evil is harming other people or living beings, which I dont' think anybody has the right to do. But then some people jsut think having sex or homosexual sex between consenting adults is "evil"

Your vision of government is not what the founders had in mind. It said Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness and if that happiness means doing things that others might deem as evil then what is to them?

You say that consenting adults should not be disallowed from engaging in immoral sex (homosexuality) yet get upset when consenting adults make a business transaction that benefits the people who makes the deal. Don't give me "at the expense of the people" crap because this transaction between consenting adults is repeated a billion times and everyone is happy.

Perhaps what you mean by "at the expense of the people" is $3.95 + tax.

Last edited:

Your vision of government is not what the founders had in mind. It said Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness and if that happiness means doing things that others might deem as evil then what is to them?

You say that consenting adults should not be disallowed from engaging in immoral sex (homosexuality) yet get upset when consenting adults make a business transaction that benefits the people who makes the deal. Don't give me "at the expense of the people" crap because this transaction between consenting adults is repeated a billion times and everyone is happy.

ahh yes, the "that's not what the framers had in mind" stuff. Spoken to them lately? typical, if what we have today wasn't there intention, then they should of made it clear, so save me that garbage.

Umm, in case you didn't notice, the constitution guarantees the right to free speech. Complaining and voicing an opinion is not restricting anybody's freedom and not forcing business owners to not make money, so you seem like the typical dishonest person putting words in people's mouths and making stuff up. I'm limiting no ones freedom, the gay bashers are. I'm fighting for people's equality, when the people's lives that are trying to prevent others' freedoms are not being effected at all.. If you can't see that, then there is no point in conversing with you, as you are clearly not on a very high intellectual level, or are just being intellectually dishonest so you can hold on to your biases.

I don't know how you give a free pass to corporate CEOs making 20 million a year, while their workers struggle, many even with 2 incomes in their family. They take home 400 x the avg worker salary, over 40X from 50 years or so ago. They move jobs from their own country to pay slave wages in another, hurting the american economy. Why can't htey have a sense of civic and country pride, instead of trying to make millions more when they already are millionaires. How much money can you possibly have to be happy?

Well if the declaration of independence states that governments are for the "pursuit of happiness" and that happiness involves getting stoned, visiting prostitutes, or any other vice then why can't we do that?

'then what are you bitching about to me? You want to inhibit someone's pursuit of happiness (gays, at least that's how I took your last post to me, I could be wrong), then bitch that people who are not even forcing corporation and businesses to not make money are preventing business from pursuit of happiness?

And I agree with the above, if you are not impeding on other's freedoms, you should do what the hell you want

You ask "Don't we have the right to be evil?" My answer: Apparently so. I base this on the fact that there are so many liberal Democrats.

'then what are you bitching about to me? You want to inhibit someone's pursuit of happiness (gays, at least that's how I took your last post to me, I could be wrong), then bitch that people who are not even forcing corporation and businesses to not make money are preventing business from pursuit of happiness?

And I agree with the above, if you are not impeding on other's freedoms, you should do what the hell you want

How did my last post suggest I wanted to inhibit someone's right to be gay? I just said it was immoral and if you read my OP I said you have a right to be as immoral as you want.

To prosper is not evil.

The only evil I see is the manchild's coveting the wealth of others regardless of if they earned it or not.

America has been wealthy and charitable. Obama is changing all that and actually thinks he's being righteous about it.

ahh yes, the "that's not what the framers had in mind" stuff. Spoken to them lately? typical, if what we have today wasn't there intention, then they should of made it clear, so save me that garbage.

Umm, in case you didn't notice, the constitution guarantees the right to free speech. Complaining and voicing an opinion is not restricting anybody's freedom and not forcing business owners to not make money, so you seem like the typical dishonest person putting words in people's mouths and making stuff up. I'm limiting no ones freedom, the gay bashers are. I'm fighting for people's equality, when the people's lives that are trying to prevent others' freedoms are not being effected at all.. If you can't see that, then there is no point in conversing with you, as you are clearly not on a very high intellectual level, or are just being intellectually dishonest so you can hold on to your biases.

I don't know how you give a free pass to corporate CEOs making 20 million a year, while their workers struggle, many even with 2 incomes in their family. They take home 400 x the avg worker salary, over 40X from 50 years or so ago. They move jobs from their own country to pay slave wages in another, hurting the american economy. Why can't htey have a sense of civic and country pride, instead of trying to make millions more when they already are millionaires. How much money can you possibly have to be happy?

I have not spoken to them lately but I have read their writings and it seems to me that they had a strong belief in natural law, the seperation between the state and society, and limited government. The proof is in the fact that for the first hundred years in this country laws were limited to protecting people from other people. It wasn't until much later that people that that changed.

I really don't have a problem with CEOs making a ton of money but you do but if that is there pursuit of happiness then who are you to deny them their happiness?

I give a free pass to CEOs because they sell us things for 3.95 + tax and on that item they might make .95. They did not steal that money but traded it. No one was harmed in the transaction. No theft, no murder, or fraud. That does not change when that same transaction is repeated 10 times or 1 million times.

Government always had that right, the constitution and our laws state such things.

Not to nitpick but your premise here is incorrect (U.S.) Government has no RIGHTS, government only has the limited AUTHORITY that is explicitly granted to it by the consent of the governed (in this case that which is explicitly defined by the U.S. Constitution), people have RIGHTS which are derived from their humanity (or from their creator, however you choose to see it) not from the Constitution or any laws of man.

Government always had that right, the constitution and our laws state such things.

Not to nitpick but your premise here is incorrect (U.S.) Government has no RIGHTS, government only has the limited AUTHORITY that is explicitly granted to it by the consent of the governed (in this case that which is explicitly defined by the U.S. Constitution), people have RIGHTS which are derived from their humanity (or from their creator, however you choose to see it) not from the Constitution or any laws of man.

correct about government.

except, you state as fact the opinion that RIGHTS are derived from simply being a part of humanity. that is a philosophical view, not a fact.

correct about government.

except, you state as fact the opinion that RIGHTS are derived from simply being a part of humanity. that is a philosophical view, not a fact.

Whether you progressives choose to accept it or not as far as the form of government and founding principles of the United States are concerned, it's a fact pal.

It almost seems...

I certainly hope so. Just as we have the right to confront evil.

Your right to be an evil, little prick stops where it interferes with the rest of us enjoying the pursuit of happiness.

You seem to be right about that. Your right to be evil stops when it interferes with someone else's rights so things like murder, theft, or fraud can be made illegal for that reason.

It almost seems...

I certainly hope so. Just as we have the right to confront evil.

Your right to be an evil, little prick stops where it interferes with the rest of us enjoying the pursuit of happiness.

Oh yeah, and that happens when anyone else owns anything that you don't have.

I have no clue what fantasy land you live in, but I suggest you not venture out into the areas where the rest of society lives.

Forum List

Back