Do towns in the US still get railroaded by big business?

Beelzebub

VIP Member
May 6, 2014
Nestlé subsidiary Poland Spring set its sights on the tiny town of Fryeburg, Maine, USA nearly a decade ago, pushing to build a huge bottling plant and take long-term control over the town's spring water. Nestlé has sued the small town multiple times, arguing that its right to grow market share is more important than the town's right to self-determination.

Nestlé wants to lock up its control over Fryeburg’s water with a contract that -- including extensions -- lasts until 2057. This lifetime contract would be unprecedented in North America, and would be a major victory for water privatization companies. This is a story we can't allow to be told.

I saw this story. Is it for real that a corporation can just soak up a towns water supply because it can pay more for it than the residents?

In some cases big business is beneficial to small towns (jobs, stronger economy, etc.) while in other cases (like the one cited in the OP) big business can be detrimental. If the town votes not to allow Nestlé to set up shop then the town should have that right. Not too sure they would be making the right choice but that's not for me to say.

It seems the town keeps saying NO, but Nestle is bullying it for a YES.

Seems like railroading to me.

Forum List

Back