Do States have the RIGHT to BAN birth control devices as Rick Santorum stated?

Do States have the right to BAN birth control devices?

• Yes

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 28 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Please, Mike, tell us all the section there that says the Constitution gives me the right to free speech.

Take your time.
I have never argued we have the right to free speech. Of course you knew that. There is a declaration of the right to bear arms.... do I need more examples?

You are looking for gotcha statements instead of learning something. I think we are done.

Mike

If you want to leave, that's fine, but you're wrong on this.

The Second Amendment does NOT give you the right to bear arms. It says your right shall not be abridged. There is a difference there that you are either not grasping or choosing to ignore. It is this difference which is what is making you fundamentally not understand the Ninth Amendment, and I would suspect, not understand the Constitution as a whole.

Did you notice that I didn't say "gives", but declares? I used that for the same reason that there was a Declaration of Independence and not a Plea for Independence. To declare something as a right does not mean that it is issued but rather that you are acknowledging a right.

You are so stuck on "gotcha" arguments that you are not reading what I'm writing. That is the reason this is done. I do not approach this with any bias whatsoever other than what the original intent of the Constitution was.

Mike

I'd say where it says it shall not abridge freedom of speech would be a pretty good indicator that you have the right to free speech.

You didn't answer the question. Let me help you.

Do I have the right to free speech? (as endowed by my Creator)

or

Does the Constitution give me the right to free speech? (which it could then take away)

As a United States citizen the constitution gives me the right to free speech. Although I believe it is also endowed by my creator, so did the founding fathers who wrote the laws in the constitution off of the same beliefs that our rights are endowed to us by our creator.

Wrong.

You have the right by nature of being a free thinking human being. All human beings have the right to free speech. The U.S. Constitution says that our government cannot make a law that blocks this right. That is not the same as granting the right. The 2nd Amendment says this too. We have the right to bear arms and the government cannot make a law to block that. I have the right to be secure in my person and my home. The government cannot block that.

A Government that gives you rights can also take them away. Do you honestly think the Founding Fathers wanted that?

I have never argued we have the right to free speech. Of course you knew that. There is a declaration of the right to bear arms.... do I need more examples?

You are looking for gotcha statements instead of learning something. I think we are done.

Mike

The Second Amendment does NOT give you the right to bear arms. It says your right shall not be abridged. There is a difference there that you are either not grasping or choosing to ignore. It is this difference which is what is making you fundamentally not understand the Ninth Amendment, and I would suspect, not understand the Constitution as a whole.

Did you notice that I didn't say "gives", but declares? I used that for the same reason that there was a Declaration of Independence and not a Plea for Independence. To declare something as a right does not mean that it is issued but rather that you are acknowledging a right.

You are so stuck on "gotcha" arguments that you are not reading what I'm writing. That is the reason this is done. I do not approach this with any bias whatsoever other than what the original intent of the Constitution was.

Mike

Interesting. You talk of me stuck on "gotcha statements" and then try and pull one of your own.

Mike, the point is, and you still refuse to talk about it, the BoR does not give us rights. It doesn't. It prevents the Federal government from blocking our rights, some of which are specifically written out. But just because those were written out, it doesn't mean those are our ONLY rights. Which is why there is the Ninth Amendment.

Mike

Interesting. You talk of me stuck on "gotcha statements" and then try and pull one of your own.

Mike, the point is, and you still refuse to talk about it, the BoR does not give us rights. It doesn't. It prevents the Federal government from blocking our rights, some of which are specifically written out. But just because those were written out, it doesn't mean those are our ONLY rights. Which is why there is the Ninth Amendment.

I'm off. Have to work in the morning.

Seriously though, ask your Government teacher about it tomorrow. You'll see I'm right.

Mike

I'm off. Have to work in the morning.

Seriously though, ask your Government teacher about it tomorrow. You'll see I'm right.

You and I agree on the origin of rights. No issue there. And if you would read more from before 1820 you would find that you agree with me on most of this.

LOL@ my government teacher. Why don't you take me up on my challenge? Why not go read books by the people who actually wrote the constitution? I'll even buy you the book. You tell me who you want to read first, put it on your wish list on Amazon and I'll buy you the book. Hell, I'll send you the book and even a dictionary from the time period to go along with it.

Your understanding of the Constitution is flawed because it is based on opinions after the Marshall Court. Marshall was appointed for the purpose of judicial activism. Take any law class and they worship him as being "a man before his time"... What they really mean is that he enabled the legal system in the U.S. to become a contest of who could twist words better, which is why lawyers make so much money. Don't believe me? Google New Views of the Constitution by John Taylor of Caroline. Its a short book almost just a thick pamphlet that describes what is happening to the Constitution. He was there at the Convention.

Or you can make comments about asking my government teacher. I have a job, thank you.

Mike

Last edited:
I want to change my answer, but not because you said the 9th amendment crap, but because I did some research and I believe that since contraception has been covered under interstate commerce clause that the commerce clause would protect it from being banned from any states. There, that is a better more well grounded answer I believe.

You didn't answer the question. Let me help you.

Do I have the right to free speech? (as endowed by my Creator)

or

Does the Constitution give me the right to free speech? (which it could then take away)

As a United States citizen the constitution gives me the right to free speech. Although I believe it is also endowed by my creator, so did the founding fathers who wrote the laws in the constitution off of the same beliefs that our rights are endowed to us by our creator.

Wrong.

You have the right by nature of being a free thinking human being. All human beings have the right to free speech. The U.S. Constitution says that our government cannot make a law that blocks this right. That is not the same as granting the right. The 2nd Amendment says this too. We have the right to bear arms and the government cannot make a law to block that. I have the right to be secure in my person and my home. The government cannot block that.

A Government that gives you rights can also take them away. Do you honestly think the Founding Fathers wanted that?

I think you are very good at twisting what people say and making it out to be something that they did not mean. Of course any government powerful enough to grant you rights can take them away, that is common sense. The founders wrote the document to solidify those rights. Noone said anything about the government giving those rights, you did. The constitution formed and created the government, therefore my rights where granted before government came along.

Mike

And as stated before, if you wanna go 9th amendment route, it still has to be amended into the constitution. you dont get them just by wanting them, if that where the case every liberal would be banished to an island far far away.

I don't know.

Do the STATES have the right to legalize marijuana?

Not according to the FEDS, they don't.

What is Creepy Rickey's POV on THAT states' right?

I don't know.

Do the STATES have the right to legalize marijuana?

Not according to the FEDS, they don't.

What is Creepy Rickey's POV on THAT states' right?

California legalized marijuana. So where are you going with this?

:lol:

I can't buy Primatine Mist over the counter anymore, b/c it got banned for direct sale.

Now I have to go to a doctor, $35 + lost hours, get a scrip, go to the pharmacy, gas + lost hours, then pay $30 co-pay on a $11 product.

And you guys are pissing your pants over condoms?

Human rights involve the PRIVACY of what goes on between a husband and wife--& their human right to how they institute family planning. Their human right to make a decision on how many children they have, etc.

The FEDERAL or STATE government has no business in their bedrooms--but Santorum thinks they do--LOL.

Your being a hack Bro

True story
:eusa_whistle:

I see you still haven't watched the above video--so here's another for the BRAIN DEAD--:cuckoo:

Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, whose strong base of evangelical Christian supporters has thrust him into contention in Iowa, said on Monday that he believes states should have the right to outlaw birth control and sodomy without the interference of the Supreme Court.

In an interview with Jake Tapper on ABC News, Santorum reiterated his opposition to the Supreme Court’s 1965 ruling that prevented Connecticut from banning contraception.

“The state has a right to do that, I have never questioned that the state has a right to do that," he said. "It is not a constitutional right. The state has the right to pass whatever statutes they have.That's the thing I have said about the activism of the Supreme Court--they are creating rights, and it should be left up to the people to decide."
Rick Santorum: States Should Have Power To Ban Birth Control, Sodomy

No--the U.S. Supreme court is for protecting the citizens from social freak nut-cases like Rick Santorum. He is all for the STATE getting involved between the intimacy between a man and woman--husband and wife--on their personal decision of how many children they want. He does not understand BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS--because of his religion--that he wants to shove down everyone else's throat.

He obviously doesn't understand the constitution. He must believe a state could ban gun ownership, too.

Ever notice how the two sides will declare that a state can or cannot do something based on what they want?

The political system of this country is a joke at this point.

Mike

Ever notice how the two sides will declare that a state can or cannot do something based on what they want?

Mike

Yes I have noted that.

any attempt to restrict access to arms, free speech, or freedom of the press is cheered by the left.

any attempt to keep people from killing unborn babies is cheered by the right.

weird huh

I can't buy Primatine Mist over the counter anymore, b/c it got banned for direct sale.

Now I have to go to a doctor, $35 + lost hours, get a scrip, go to the pharmacy, gas + lost hours, then pay $30 co-pay on a $11 product.

Your inhaler is not as necessary to human health as condoms.

Your inhaler is not as necessary to human health as condoms.

:lmao:

sorry, don't know you well enough to know whether you're kidding me or not.

but I'm going with you were. And that was a good one.

Mike

Yes I have noted that.

any attempt to restrict access to arms, free speech, or freedom of the press is cheered by the left.

any attempt to keep people from killing unborn babies is cheered by the right.

weird huh

It is sad. It is contrary to the way this nation was formed.

What's worse is that people don't even attempt to understand how this country was set up. Germany did not fall under the EU rule when the EU was created. They retained their sovereignty. Why didn't the states do that? They did. It wasn't until the worst president of all time led a war to prevent states from leaving the union that we saw ourselves as a nation and not a union of states.

It isn't just that they are on one side of an issue or another, it is that they want universal application. WTF do I care what happens in florida? if I don't like it I WON'T GO THERE. How hard is that?

Mike

We get it. This is why Stephanopolus peppered Romney with the "can states ban birth control."

This is why Obama is trying to force free birth control on Catholic Hospitals and how to force insurance companies to pay for it.

You want to convince people with the fictitious fear that Republicans want to ban birth control.

So, here's the thing.

Give me ONE EXAMPLE of a Republican Gov, President, Congressman, etc, EVER banning birth control and you will have your argument.

Until then, this is all just BS fear mongering by a desperate president who can't run on his own record, because his own record SUCKS.

So, bring it. Give us the examples.

My guess is, there will stuipid quotes of Santorum from six years ago. There will be NO EXAMPLES OF Republicans trying to ban birth control. There will be total silence. OR there will be just the usual sputtering from outraged liberals because no one should ever dare pin them down on their total preposterous lies.

Bring it libs. I'm waiting. I know I won't get a straight answer.

PS, ABORTION IS NOT BIRTH CONTROL. That's infanticide. There are plenty of methods of birth control that prevents conception.

You know why you libs have changed the subject to birth control. You have lost the argument on abortion. Most people are against it now.

You started the subject, so don't change it, because someone's pinned you down on it. BIRTH CONTROL. Give us the examples.

I'm waiting, but I won't hold my breathe.

We get it. This is why Stephanopolus peppered Romney with the "can states ban birth control."

This is why Obama is trying to force free birth control on Catholic Hospitals and how to force insurance companies to pay for it.

You want to convince people with the fictitious fear that Republicans want to ban birth control.

So, here's the thing.

Give me ONE EXAMPLE of a Republican Gov, President, Congressman, etc, EVER banning birth control and you will have your argument.

Until then, this is all just BS fear mongering by a desperate president who can't run on his own record, because his own record SUCKS.

So, bring it. Give us the examples.

My guess is, there will stuipid quotes of Santorum from six years ago. There will be NO EXAMPLES OF Republicans trying to ban birth control. There will be total silence. OR there will be just the usual sputtering from outraged liberals because no one should ever dare pin them down on their total preposterous lies.

Bring it libs. I'm waiting. I know I won't get a straight answer.

PS, ABORTION IS NOT BIRTH CONTROL. That's infanticide. There are plenty of methods of birth control that prevents conception.

You know why you libs have changed the subject to birth control. You have lost the argument on abortion. Most people are against it now.

You started the subject, so don't change it, because someone's pinned you down on it. BIRTH CONTROL. Give us the examples.

I'm waiting, but I won't hold my breathe.
Fear Mongering?

from liberals?

nah, can't be. remember their brain is busted and don't have a fear response.

This is hate mongering.

Forum List

Back