Do Republican policies attract good teachers?

Discussion in 'Education' started by rdean, Oct 6, 2011.

1. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,012
    Rich Scott of Florida was on Morning Joe boasting about his 1.7 billion dollar cut from Florida education.

Gov. Rick Scott's proposed education budget: $1.75 billion in cuts

How he was able to end tenure for new teachers and make schools more efficient by increasing class size per teacher. Will the attacks on teacher's unions and teacher's salary attract good teachers? Will anyone want to be a teacher after this?

Other reports say he used that 1.7 billion to pay for tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations.

Florida Governor Rick Scott Would Cut TeachersÂ’ Pay To Fund Tax Breaks For Corporations And The Wealthy

Will these attacks on education to create more revenue for the wealthy "work"? Is this good for America? Will children learn more in larger classes? What is the Republican goal for education? How will their plan help children? Do they even want to help children?

2. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Well, if there WERE'NT a union, I might consider the job.

But there is, so I won't and never did.

3. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,012
    Whew, good. I would be afraid for the children. Glad you moved on to something else. Hopefully something less destructive.

Republicans scream they want better teachers. Lowering their salaries and taking away their security is a "fine" place to start. Republicans are like Midas. Only every ill conceived notion and awful plan they manage to foist on the American people turns everything to shit, not gold. Again and again I ask what Republicans have done for America in the last 20 years and they can't name a single thing they are proud of. Not one. But the list of their disasters is long indeed. Very long. I know they complain I'm ragging on them, but failure needs to be pointed out. Otherwise, they start to believe one of their misguided policies may have worked. None have.

4. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Academia. No unions and still get to educate.

:lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,360
    oh boy, more whining about TEACHERS...Didn't the Dear Leader say we ALL had to have some skin in the game.?

I guess that only applied to the little peons..:lol:

6. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    Tenure was just a way of rewarding the worst teachers at the expense of the good ones. Teachers should have no more security than any other employee. If they do a bad job, they should be fired. The salaries of teachers should reflect their actual working hours. Of all workers in the country, teachers work the fewest hours. Yearly, they would be described as part time.

To republicans the government does the best job when it does the least.

7. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Has anyone ever noticed the correlation between the consolidation of schools and bigger classes and the decline of the American education? Smaller classes allow teachers to teach students. Smaller classes allow the teachers to get to know the students, what their strong points are, what their weaknesses are, and gives them a chance to grow. Large classrooms are impersonal and the fringe students are marginalized and tossed away. New and bigger is not always right.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  8. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    Get the illegals out of school and reduce class size. That's a good way.

One of the worst obstructions to education isn't the size of the class. It's the disruptors in the class, the special ed students who act out and are uncontrollable, the kids who think it's fun to start fights and beat up students and teachers alike. Those are the greatest impediments to class education not class size. It's just not PC to point that out.

9. asterism

asterism Congress != Progress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    I have not noticed that correlation. The low performing public schools here have small classes. The marquee public and private schools pack them in.

10. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Budget cuts are not a Republican policy, they are a lack of money.

Cuts in Education Force Teacher Layoffs in California | USA | English

Unlike the federal government, states cannot just borrow money to spend on anything they want,