Zone1 Do I Understand These Biblical Stories Correctly?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Jesus was baptized because He was trying to set an example for His followers and He was virgin born because that's the only way that He could escape being a sinner like the rest of us? Just curious because that's what I have been told, but those are a couple of biblical accounts that I'm not sure if I understand or not.

Jesus was baptized because He was trying to set an example for His followers and He was virgin born because that's the only way that He could escape being a sinner like the rest of us? Just curious because that's what I have been told, but those are a couple of biblical accounts that I'm not sure if I understand or not.
It is true that Baptism is now associated with forgiveness of sins. While Jesus had no sins to forgive, baptism is also an announcement of change. We put aside a past way of life to follow a new way. Jesus' baptism was the beginning of a new life for him--his public life.

He was born of a 'virgin' due to a poor translation of the Hebrew Bible into Greek. The Hebrew word in Isiaih (?) was 'young girl' which was translated into Greek with a word that meant either 'young girl' or 'virgin'. The early Christians used the Greek translation and settled on the 'virgin' meaning when they wanted to show that Jesus fulfilled the Hebrew prophesies.

He was born of a 'virgin' due to a poor translation of the Hebrew Bible into Greek. The Hebrew word in Isiaih (?) was 'young girl' which was translated into Greek with a word that meant either 'young girl' or 'virgin'. The early Christians used the Greek translation and settled on the 'virgin' meaning when they wanted to show that Jesus fulfilled the Hebrew prophesies.

I don't think so.

Why would he have to be virgin born to not be a sinner?
Can a woman even be a virgin if she has a child?

What does the word 'virgin' mean to you?

That's the only satisfactory explanation for the use of the word 'virgin'.
As far as I know, the only other explanation is in the 'supernatural' explanation that requires some sort of magic.

It’s always funny when a Christian asks a sincere question in regard to Christianity, and then non-Christians or atheists quickly show up to “answer” it. Or to get into the usual theism vs atheism debates.

Sigh.
Christianity can't stand alone outside of 'reality'.
But Christians are reduced to having to attempt that because there's no other root to take.

Are you saying that you need to have atheists stay out of the topic?

In fact, Christians are inviting a response from atheists.

Christianity can't stand alone outside of 'reality'.
But Christians are reduced to having to attempt that because there's no other root to take.

Are you saying that you need to have atheists stay out of the topic?

In fact, Christians are inviting a response from atheists.

I’m saying that when she’s wanting to learn the scriptures, I highly doubt she’s looking for answers from people who don’t even believe the Bible and in fact mock it and attack it. But then again I’ll let her speak for herself.

It’s always funny when a Christian asks a sincere question in regard to Christianity, and then non-Christians or atheists quickly show up to “answer” it. Or to get into the usual theism vs atheism debates.

Sigh.
It’s always funny when a non-Christian brings up a sincere issue in regard to Christianity, and then Christians just dismiss and ignore them rather than addressing their point.

Sigh.

I’m saying that when she’s wanting to learn the scriptures, I highly doubt she’s looking for answers from people who don’t even believe the Bible and in fact mock it and attack it. But then again I’ll let her speak for herself.
Possibly true but can there ever be any rest for the Christian mind if the person can't reconcile the contradictions of 'reality' that are presented by non-believers?

Every new thread on the topic and every question asked by Christians needs to be considered as an invitation to atheists to answer.

Christians always have the option of ignoring 'reality', but they're stuck with reconciling their beliefs based on supernatural explanations.

We can still discuss on polite and rational terms!

Even the Baptists don't require Baptisms. Jesus resisted temptations via willpower, as a lesson for his followers on the possible, not to parade the impossible.

Last edited:

Sigh.

I just read the frigging book,; atheists aren't the only ones constantly re-writing what it says in order to peddle their own need to make it suit themselves.

Possibly true but can there ever be any rest for the Christian mind if the person can't reconcile the contradictions of 'reality' that are presented by non-believers?

Every new thread on the topic and every question asked by Christians needs to be considered as an invitation to atheists to answer.

Christians always have the option of ignoring 'reality', but they're stuck with reconciling their beliefs based on supernatural explanations.

We can still discuss on polite and rational terms!

I don’t want to get off topic but what you don’t seem to realize is that many of us WERE nonbelievers for many years.

We’ve already been on that side, we’ve already done the research, we’ve already reconciled any questions or apparent contradictions for ourselves, we’re not just believing for no reason blindly and ignorantly.

I’ve been on these discussion forums for years… and it’s always the same. Atheists always, always, always want to argue the existence of God and the supernatural. But here’s the problem. They always do it on threads that have nothing to do with that specific debate. But again, I don’t want to speak for the OP, so if she’s OK with the thread turning into a theism versus atheism debate then no worries, i’ll just go somewhere else, I shouldn’t even be posting right now anyway, i’ve got real life stuff I’ve gotta do, so… carry on.

Please delete my personal information
A maiden, more specifically, or an unmarried daughter (Strong's Concordance, s.v., "parthenos" (Strong's 3933)), Isaiah being irrelevant, as it does not relate the virgin birth.

Also, a young unmarried man (Rv 14:4).

The term implies that they had not had sexual relations, clearly the implication in Matthew as Joseph assumed Mary had had relations with another man (1:19).

The translation is just fine. Or perhaps you will post the correct one?

As to baptism, water baptism was not Jesus' baptism; water baptism was John's baptism (Acts 1:5).

Water did not change anyone's condition, and it was not the means by which to find God's kingdom. Such powers resided in spiritual baptism. In one Spirit the saints were baptized into one body, Paul taught (1 Cor 12:13).

I don’t want to get off topic but what you don’t seem to realize is that many of us WERE nonbelievers for many years.
There's no way you can conclude that of my understanding. I'm certainly aware that a minority of Christians were once nonbelievers.
We’ve already been on that side, we’ve already done the research, we’ve already reconciled any questions or apparent contradictions for ourselves, we’re not just believing for no reason blindly and ignorantly.
You're speaking for a minority in which you personally fit yourself.
I’ve been on these discussion forums for years… and it’s always the same. Atheists always, always, always want to argue the existence of God and the supernatural. But here’s the problem. They always do it on threads that have nothing to do with that specific debate.
If you want to disqualify atheist's debating points then you're entitled to do that for yourself only.
But again, I don’t want to speak for the OP, so if she’s OK with the thread turning into a theism versus atheism debate then no worries, i’ll just go somewhere else, I shouldn’t even be posting right now anyway, i’ve got real life stuff I’ve gotta do, so… carry on.
I'm only hearing your own personal excuse to run away from the discussion. I have to wonder why you even started?

Perhaps the OP will tell us if he/she wants to disqualify the talking points of atheists that displease him/her?[\b]

I think that perhaps any OP could stipulate the bounds of his/her topic beforehand if those bounds are consistent with forum rules.

Sigh.
That is so true. They simply can't help themselves and attempt to portray themselves as Biblical scholars while simultaneously claiming to believe none of it. I can see them now, spending years in seminary school, desperately making notes on things said by other people who have studied the Scriptures exhaustively, just waiting for the opportunity to spout off what they have learned without discerning any of the Spirit behind it all.

Kind of reminds me of a "scoffer" at a dinner party who, upon hearing someone say a piece of music is very meaningful to them, immediately begins complaining about its tempo, key and instrumentation, though never having heard it performed by the artist who wrote it and never allowing themselves to hear the power of music itself.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back