Divided GOP rejects allowing illegal immigrants in the military

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
The House on Thursday voted to strip a provision from the annual defense bill that edged toward allowing young illegal immigrants to enlist in the military.

Divisions between ardent GOP opponents of illegal immigration and vulnerable Republicans who represent districts with large Hispanic constituencies flared in the 221-202 vote.

Twenty Republicans voted with all Democrats in opposition of the amendment from Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) that killed the immigration language.

The debate demonstrated the GOP's challenge in handling President Obama's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which allows qualified illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children to obtain temporary work permits. Democrats and supporters of the program refer to recipients as “Dreamers.”

Brooks's amendment scraps a provision in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that would have established a sense of the House that the Pentagon should review allowing DACA recipients to enlist.

The House Armed Services Committee approved that language, authored by Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-Ariz.), during its marathon markup of the NDAA last month. Six Republican members of the panel, including Coffman and McSally, joined with Democrats to approve it.

In a letter to fellow lawmakers earlier Thursday, Brooks argued the provision was adopted during the "early morning, sleep-deprived portion" of the markup and didn't belong in the bill.

"There is no military recruitment and retention deficit that justifies supplanting Americans and lawful immigrants with illegal aliens," Brooks said during floor debate.

Divided GOP rejects allowing illegal immigrants in the military TheHill

Correct me if I am wrong...but isn't/ wasn't there a program for illegals to join the military?

Correct me if I am wrong...but isn't/ wasn't there a program for illegals to join the military?
yes there is a limited DOD program called MAVNI (Military Accessions Vital to the Military Interest) started in 2008 which is capped at 1500 recruits per year.....foreign nationals are only picked for their special attributes and high-demand skills that would help the military services....but the services are not required to recruit them....only the Army has accepted a significant number...

Military to allow undocumented immigrants to serve

Last edited:
MAVNI was started under George Bush....another good reason to not elect Jeb Bush....the program would probably just be expanded like Obama wants to do...

Yes it was for legal non-immigrants, have no problem with that.

Do have a problem with allowing illegals in..

what exactly do you mean..? ....do you consider a child that accompanies illegal parents into the US considered to be a 'legal non-immigrant'.....?

MAVNI was started under George Bush....another good reason to not elect Jeb Bush....the program would probably just be expanded like Obama wants to do...

what exactly do you mean..? ....do you consider a child that accompanies illegal parents into the US considered to be a 'legal non-immigrant'.....?

There are many people that come in to this coutry and do it the right way, they are classified as legal non-immigrants, there are the anchor babies that fall into this category. I can not blame them for what their illegal parents did. I disagree with the anchor baby system.

However there are many people who do try and come here the legal way and have no problem with them being able to join the military.

There are many people that come in to this coutry and do it the right way, they are classified as legal non-immigrants, there are the anchor babies that fall into this category. I can not blame them for what their illegal parents did. I disagree with the anchor baby system.

However there are many people who do try and come here the legal way and have no problem with them being able to join the military.
yes....if a kid is born on US soil he is a 'legal non-immigrant'.....so aren't we all....? i don't see what your point is or are you just into inventing new pretzel-like terms....

yes....if a kid is born on US soil he is a 'legal non-immigrant'.....so aren't we all....? i don't see what your point is or are you just into inventing new pretzel-like terms....

No most in the US are naturalized US citizens, a legal non-immigrant can apply for citizenship.

No most in the US are naturalized US citizens, a legal non-immigrant can apply for citizenship.

why would a 'legal non-immigrant' have to apply for citizenship...?

Apply for Citizenship USCIS

you make about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine...

I am not the government with all their rules and regulations they refuse to enforce..

I am not the government with all their rules and regulations they refuse to enforce..

yet you sound like a government worker...

yet you sound like a government worker...

Does serving in the military count?

if Obama has his way i'm just waiting for those 16 year old 'children' who came here illegally to be recruited by the military at 18 who ultimately turn out to be Alqaeda operatives...

i'm just waiting for those 16 year old 'children' who came here illegally to be recruited by the military at 18 for their Arabic language abilities who turn out to be an Alqaeda operatives...

I am against those illegals from entering the military, but that is what the far left wants..

Can you explain why you are against them entering? What policy goal do you think is served by not having them being able to serve the United States in combat?

Forum List

Back