Disturbing Info about the F150 Lightning (EV)

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

The YouTube personality, Hoovie, has shown on a couple of videos that the electric F150 has SIGNIFICANT problems dealing with cold weather. Range is cut in half, or worse. When asked for recommendations, Ford provides the following suggestions:
  • Keep your truck plugged in always when at home,
  • If the car is covered in snow, DO NOT use the truck to clear it; do that yourself before starting your trip,
  • Don't use the heater when driving in the cold if you can stand it - use the heated seats and steering wheel to keep warm,
  • When going out for a drive, heat the car up WHILE IT'S STILL PLUGGED IN, so that you are not using the battery to warm up the cabin,
  • Drive below the speed limit, to save battery power.
Interesting that running the COOLING system of the truck does not seem to create these problems - at least to this extent.

Hoovie decided to dump his truck now (he was half-owner), on the assumption that Ford will sort this out in time, and when they do, NOBODY will want his obsolete truck. It will be like the Nissan Leaf is now.

Parenthetically, Hoovie did a quick review of the Hummer EV, which a local Chevy dealer invited him to review. He LOVED it.

The YouTube personality, Hoovie, has shown on a couple of videos that the electric F150 has SIGNIFICANT problems dealing with cold weather. Range is cut in half, or worse. When asked for recommendations, Ford provides the following suggestions:
  • If the car is covered in snow, DO NOT use the truck to clear it; do that yourself before starting your trip,
  • Don't use the heater when driving in the cold if you can stand it - use the heated seats and steering wheel to keep warm,
  • When going out for a drive, heat the car up WHILE IT'S STILL PLUGGED IN, so that you are not using the battery to warm up the cabin,
Interesting that running the COOLING system of the truck does not seem to create these problems - at least to this extent.

Hoovie decided to dump his truck now (he was half-owner), on the assumption that Ford will sort this out in time, and when they do, NOBODY will want his obsolete truck. It will be like the Nissan Leaf is now.

Parenthetically, Hoovie did a quick review of the Hummer EV, which a local Chevy dealer invited him to review. He LOVED it.

Sounds like what Jeep told a guy I know when his transmission overheated when he went off road.
Which of course is what jeeps were built for.
They installed a buzzer and told him to stop driving until it cooled down.
I would buy a jeep in a heartbeat but it's this kind of quality that stops me from doing so.
Especially with their price tag.

Can you imagine the milage if pulling one of these?

1670291591168.png

Yeah, if those battery heaters ever fail in sub freezing weather or the cold overwhelms the heaters you can kiss $25,000 in batteries buh bye now.
No thanks.

This whole EV thing is the most massive cluster fuck in modern history unfolding
You can bet every Marxist/Democrat has investments in EV's. That is why they are destroying the gasoline fuels, because they know as long as people use gas, there is no fucking way an intelligent person wants an EV piece of shit.

Use the heated seats and steering wheel to keep warm.

How the hell you gonna keep the windshield clear?

These dumbassed idiots ever drive in -20?
Not in an electric vehicle that is for sure. Shit, most car batteries die in that type of temperature.

Use the heated seats and steering wheel to keep warm.
How the hell you gonna keep the windshield clear?
These dumbassed idiots ever drive in -20?

Don't forget: Joe Biden and the democrats are mandating that this is all you will be able to buy in as few years as possible! Irregardless of the cost, irregardless of the impracticality. Irregardless of the fact that the grid already can't support them! And irregardless of the fact that these things will do nothing to "save the climate" which is all a big lie.

To sell an EV, especially a TRUCK, it ought to be rated under the WORST of conditions, below freezing, really bad weather, towing a big load, and with every imaginable needed accessory on full!

What would the expected rated travel distance for a Lightning be under those conditions: about 23 miles fully charged?!

This whole idiotic EV thing is going to lead to a huge crisis for this country along with ending up getting many people killed! EVs should be an OPTION, a CHOICE made available for those who think they fit their needs in situations where they might possibly actually work. Not FORCED on people at the point of a gun.

1633570950292.jpeg

Yeah, I've seen Hoovie. Sweet personality, good guy, Has YouTube fame as more of a dealer. I get that. It's a popular genre. As a gearhead, I believe he knows very little about the mechanics of the cars he buys, but he's charismatic enough to pull off decent technical content at times. For example, I am a big fan of the F-series Ford truck. I still own one. Gasoline powered, of course

Full electric F-150 trucks will fail in many aspects of fuel-driven truck owners standards right now. The wall is still too high. To be fair, the tech is ever evolving, but I don't feel it's there yet. Payload capacity seems too good to be true. Right now, I'd buy the hybrid F-150 before I'd consider the full electric model. I believe the tech isn't quite there yet,. Not even close to the payload/towing/mpg I'm getting from a turbo diesel.

But eventually, the tech is going to get there, and that's exciting to me. :113:

Forum List

Back