Disparaging factual descriptive slurs are legal including racial slurs aside from profanity

northpolarbear

Oct 3, 2015
Disparaging factual descriptive slurs are legal including racial slurs aside from profanity.

I asked a lawyer. He says there is no law against it. Also, slurs do not count as profanity. As for profanity, I’ve shown the law references before how profanity is also legal whether public or private. It is just that slurs are different from profanity anyway & slurs are also legal. Slurs refer to disparaging remarks like “moron, trash, idiot, dumb, etc”. Also, just like how even profanity against cops is legal, even slurs against cops (or anyone else) is legal. No laws against slurs at all.

I often use racial slurs in everyday life, not in the workplace but just in my casual conversation outside work. Is this legal? - Avvo.com

Quoting from 3 lawyers on Avvo.com on the question “I often use racial slurs in everyday life, not in the workplace but just in my casual conversation outside work. Is this legal? Does this count as profanity?”

Lawyer 1: “No law against being a jerk.”

Lawyer 2: “There is nothing illegal about it, although very many people will frown upon it , or worse. There is no legal definition of profanity. It refers to language or action which is crude, rude, or otherwise socially disdained.”

Lawyer 3: “So long as you do not act on your prejudice, you cannot be arrested for talking like that. You can, of course, be fired if it slips out at work.”

Is calling a cop (or anyone else like a doctor) idiot legal? - Avvo.com

Quoting from 2 lawyers on Avvo.com on the question “Is calling a cop (or anyone else like a doctor) idiot legal? In fact, is any disparaging slur like "moron, dumb, trash, etc" legal? I was told that being a jerk is not against a law. I am just confirming with the lawyers.”

Lawyer 1: “Read People v Dietze, 75 NY2d 47. However, calling a Police Officer an idiot is not a good idea. You might find yourself arrested regardless of whether the case will stand up...”

Lawyer 2: “Yes it is legal under most circumstances.”

Lawyer 3: “Free speech should allow a person to say call a government agent just about anything you want. But, limits apply. You can't incite violence. You can't disturb the peace. You can't interfere with a police officer's official duties. There are other limits...”

It’s not just legal against a government agent. It’s legal against anyone.

PEOPLE v. DIETZE | Leagle.com

Quoting from Leagle on People v Dietze, 75 NY2d 47,

“Under Penal Law § 240.25 (2), the use of "abusive" language with the intent to "harass" or "annoy" another person is a violation punishable by a 15-day imprisonment. Because the statute, on its face, prohibits a substantial amount of constitutionally protected expression, and because its continued existence presents a significant risk of prosecution for the mere exercise of free speech, we hold section 240.25 (2) to be invalid for overbreadth, under both the State (art I, § 8) and Federal (1st & 14th Amends) Constitutions. The information, to the extent that it charges defendant under that subdivision, must, therefore, be dismissed. Additionally, because the evidence presented was legally insufficient to support a conviction for a threat under Penal Law § 240.25 (1), the remainder of the information, charging defendant with violating that subdivision, must be dismissed as well.”

So, so-called “abusive” language needs the intent to “harass” or “annoy” another person. Even when the law works, it is only 15 days imprisonment, no more & nothing else. Also, even with such intent, it violates the exercise of free speech, & it is dismissed. On top of that, slurs are legal. So, I quoted lawyers & I also showed an actual legal case on such. When someone was accused of abusive language, as you see from People v Dietze, it was dismissed by freedom of speech. On top of that, slurs don’t even count as “abusive language”. It’s just stating a fact disparagingly.

Forum List

Back