Discussing politics with people who don't share your views........

LOL I'll just put this here....leftists, smh

My nephew tried to school me on cultural appropriation. It didn't end well.

Ya, that was likey the result of all attempts to educate you!

What? There isn't a leftist alive that will ever "educate" me.
There is not any one alive that can!

Not true, many people have taught me a wealth of information. I use it to mock leftists like you

There is nothing so flimsy and stupid as cultural appropriation. It's yet another division point for the left to create chaos and avoid the real issues that plague this nation. It's so easy to debunk also...as the article does but because you're a leftist you don't see that the man schooled his nephew. Now who can't be taught? Hmmm?
Well it would be great if you would start showing it then!

LOL I'll just put this here....leftists, smh

Not true, many people have taught me a wealth of information. I use it to mock leftists like you

There is nothing so flimsy and stupid as cultural appropriation. It's yet another division point for the left to create chaos and avoid the real issues that plague this nation. It's so easy to debunk also...as the article does but because you're a leftist you don't see that the man schooled his nephew. Now who can't be taught? Hmmm?

It's be better if you'd actually get on the topic and cease trying your weak attempt at trolling me. How's that?

Well I can't tell you how many times I've had a rollicking good time discussing politics around the dining room table with my Dem and liberal friends. And yes I do have Dem and liberal friends.

We all have beer and snacks and talk about everything. I sure won't abandon my friends because they don't believe as I do and they are the same.

In fact a couple of my Dem friends told me they wouldn't for Hitlery if she was the last Dem on the planet. One voted for Trump and the others didn't vote.

I sure won't give up good friends for politics.

It's be better if you'd actually get on the topic and cease trying your weak attempt at trolling me. How's that?
I agreed with you the other day! I must restore balance!

Well I can't tell you how many times I've had a rollicking good time discussing politics around the dining room table with my Dem and liberal friends. And yes I do have Dem and liberal friends.

We all have beer and snacks and talk about everything. I sure won't abandon my friends because they don't believe as I do and they are the same.

In fact a couple of my Dem friends told me they wouldn't for Hitlery if she was the last Dem on the planet. One voted for Trump and the others didn't vote.

The difference between message boards and real life is night & day. Anonymity gives people weird confidence, and you can't look them in the eyes and see if they're bullshitting. Face to face, people are much more accountable. Here, it's just essentially Professional Wrestling for political geeks.

The difference between message boards and real life is night & day. Anonymity gives people weird confidence, and you can't look them in the eyes and see if they're bullshitting. Face to face, people are much more accountable. Here, it's just essentially Professional Wrestling for political geeks.
That used to be true, but now internet discussion is the real discussion and face to face is just a continuation of that internet discussion.

Your idea of civility in general society died with the advent of social media.

My experience the past twenty years is that the confrontational attitudes displayed on the internet have increasingly migrated to face to face interactions. It's never been wise to discuss politics, especially in the workplace. Now more than ever before it would be career suicide to think that you could freely express your political opinions. If you are on the wrong side of those in charge of raises and promotions, it will too often influence their decisions. I've even noticed a change with some family members who in the past could have passionate political debate, but afterwards put it aside and carry on as normal. Now there is so much extreme judgment and intolerance of differing views, it has resulted in a divide which impacts all aspects of the relationship.

You know, there has been a lot of talk (mostly by comedians) about how people like to live in an echo chamber and only talk with others who think like them. Some have said that discussing politics with someone who doesn't agree with you is a way to mend the divide and learn compromise. Face to face negotiation has been proven to lead to compromise and understanding.

Turns out that ain't the case when it comes to the Internet. Seems that if you are discussing politics with a person different than your group can actually be worse than living in a bubble, because people will dig in even harder in their views. I guess the lack of face to face communication is what causes it to happen.

Caught in a political echo chamber? Listening to the opposition can make partisanship even worse

Dwelling in a political echo chamber — where you only encounter people who agree with you — is hardly conducive to a healthy democracy.

But it turns out that broadening your horizons by perusing opposing points of view on social media may just make the partisan divide worse.

That’s the depressing result of an unusual experiment involving 909 Democrats and 751 Republicans who spend a lot of time on Twitter.

“Attempts to introduce people to a broad range of opposing political views on a social media site such as Twitter might be not only ineffective but counterproductive,” researchers reported this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Political polarization is on the rise in America, and the results aren’t pretty, the study authors explained.

“Americans are deeply divided on controversial issues such as inequality, gun control, and immigration,” they wrote. “Partisan divisions not only impede compromise in the design and implementation of social policies but also have far-reaching consequences for the effective function of democracy more broadly.”

The researchers, led by Duke University sociologist Christopher Bail, set out to do something about this problem by harnessing the power of Twitter.

They already knew people become more inclined to compromise on political issues when they spend time with people who hold opposing views. Face-to-face meetings can override negative stereotypes about our adversaries, paving the way for negotiation.
That’s why I come here. I rarely talk to other liberals unless I disagree with them

Like that ever happens

My experience the past twenty years is that the confrontational attitudes displayed on the internet have increasingly migrated to face to face interactions. It's never been wise to discuss politics, especially in the workplace. Now more than ever before it would be career suicide to think that you could freely express your political opinions. If you are on the wrong side of those in charge of raises and promotions, it will too often influence their decisions. I've even noticed a change with some family members who in the past could have passionate political debate, but afterwards put it aside and carry on as normal. Now there is so much extreme judgment and intolerance of differing views, it has resulted in a divide which impacts all aspects of the relationship.

You brought up a good point. I don't remember any stories of families breaking up or walking out of family doings after DumBama won. I read all kinds of things like that after Trump won.

You can discuss politics with most conservatives. Democrats on the other hand view politics too personally and can even get violent because of a conversation. So it's best to avoid a face to face political discussion with liberals because they have a much harder time controlling themselves.

I think that people are more honest about how they feel because of that anonymity. Face to face, people tend to hold back thoughts or opinions. If you offend somebody face to face, you can lose a friend, a family member, even a lover. You might even end up in a fist fight.

With the liberal side of my family, I often don't say things I'd really like to say. Liberals are way too sensitive and can't laugh it off like conservatives can. My father is the exception but will never admit to being liberal. He's kind of in the middle. But after we get into a heated political discussion, we always laugh it off as we realize it doesn't matter, and people will always have differing opinions.

Well Mac, you can see it here on these boards everyday. I think that the anonymous nature of message boards makes people less likely to compromise.

I think it's more the "alternative facts" nature of the internet that makes it impossible.

There is a thread where the OP claims that Cohen plead guilty to a charge that actually wasn't a crime at all.

There is no middle ground with such posters.

The discourse on the internet is a good gauge for what people are thinking.

It’s obvious the most liberals are obsessed with Social Justice and it’s obvious most conservatives are obsessed with small government and the rule of law.

And conspiracies. Lots of conspiracies.

When it comes to Trump, I think it's largely a personality thing. I've had serious problems with the politics of every President of my adult life. But I'd have jumped at the chance to "have a beer" with any of them. I would not want to do that with Trump. He's the kind of person I've always tried to avoid.

But I know people who don't see him that way at all. Whatever it is about Trump that disgusts me, doesn't bother them at all. They even find it appealing in some way.

Last edited:
When it comes to Trump, I think it's largely a personality thing. I've had serious problems with the politics of every President of my adult life. But I'd have jumped at the chance to "have a beer" with any of them. I would not want to do that with Trump. He's the kind of person I've always tried to avoid.

But I know people who don't see him that way at all. Whatever it is about Trump that disgusts me, doesn't bother them at all. They even find it appalling in some way.

I think you meant appealing, but your opinion is valid.

The problem is that even when a Republican with good character is nominated for any elected position, Dems claim that this Republican is a bad person...usually they are characterized as racist.

Now you got Trump. You gotta deal with it and run a better candidate next time.

But I know people who don't see him that way at all. Whatever it is about Trump that disgusts me, doesn't bother them at all. They even find it appalling in some way.

I think you meant appealing, but your opinion is valid.
Thank you. Corrected.

The problem is that even when a Republican with good character is nominated for any elected position, Dems claim that this Republican is a bad person...usually they are characterized as racist.

Now you got Trump. You gotta deal with it and run a better candidate next time.
Yep.

But I know people who don't see him that way at all. Whatever it is about Trump that disgusts me, doesn't bother them at all. They even find it appealing in some way.

That's because Trump talks to people in an average way. He discusses politics like most of us do here. He found a way to relate to people like no other leader has.

You know, there has been a lot of talk (mostly by comedians) about how people like to live in an echo chamber and only talk with others who think like them. Some have said that discussing politics with someone who doesn't agree with you is a way to mend the divide and learn compromise. Face to face negotiation has been proven to lead to compromise and understanding.

Turns out that ain't the case when it comes to the Internet. Seems that if you are discussing politics with a person different than your group can actually be worse than living in a bubble, because people will dig in even harder in their views. I guess the lack of face to face communication is what causes it to happen.

Caught in a political echo chamber? Listening to the opposition can make partisanship even worse

Dwelling in a political echo chamber — where you only encounter people who agree with you — is hardly conducive to a healthy democracy.

But it turns out that broadening your horizons by perusing opposing points of view on social media may just make the partisan divide worse.

That’s the depressing result of an unusual experiment involving 909 Democrats and 751 Republicans who spend a lot of time on Twitter.

“Attempts to introduce people to a broad range of opposing political views on a social media site such as Twitter might be not only ineffective but counterproductive,” researchers reported this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Political polarization is on the rise in America, and the results aren’t pretty, the study authors explained.

“Americans are deeply divided on controversial issues such as inequality, gun control, and immigration,” they wrote. “Partisan divisions not only impede compromise in the design and implementation of social policies but also have far-reaching consequences for the effective function of democracy more broadly.”

The researchers, led by Duke University sociologist Christopher Bail, set out to do something about this problem by harnessing the power of Twitter.

They already knew people become more inclined to compromise on political issues when they spend time with people who hold opposing views. Face-to-face meetings can override negative stereotypes about our adversaries, paving the way for negotiation.
Most people don't want to change their opinion because that means they were WRONG and no one likes to be wrong. Before they even bring up a subject they are driven to defend it. The other person has a opinion and does not want to change it Talk is cheap. Therefore I learned at a very young age to just don't argue any point, it solves nothing. Only when it affects your life will anything change your mind. I am thinking that if you think about it you might change your own mind.

That's because Trump talks to people in an average way. He discusses politics like most of us do here. He found a way to relate to people like no other leader has.

I guess "Make America Average Again" didn't poll well.

I guess "Make America Average Again" didn't poll well.

Polls are designed to try and get people what to think--not tell you what they think.

With this astounding economy, could you image what the polls would say if Hil-Liar was President? They would be calling for weekly parades in the street. Polls? Given THE FACT that the MSM reporting on Donald Trump is over 90% negative, you are surprised at poll results?

Forum List

Back