Dirty, polluting, Wind Power

Its just lubrication and not a good preventive maintenance program.
Actually its both lubrication and hydraulic control issues.

The gear box on a 500kw GE unit holds 10-12 gallons of 45-60 oil. The hydraulic control systems (Brakes, blade turn, base turn, pitch and yaw control) hold upwards of 35 gallons of AW32 in them and the systems reservoir..

Most of what you see in the OP's pictures is hydraulic fluid leaking from control rams and the turret motor of the unit. Some of the newer units are using synthetics, which break down in sunlight to its base organic matter, the earth can deal with. Most of these wind turbines are not using the newer oils as they were designed for the fossil fuel types. The problem is the seals on the hydraulics, which these new oils simply eat holes in, as it is so costic. (acidic)

Even with the newer oils the areas directly below, in about a 200' radius, and down wind is laid waste in fairly short order if there is a leak. Throwing acidic substances, even if organic, on the landscape isn't good for it either but after about 3-5 years it will recover on its own as compared with oil which lays it waste for 20-30 years and poisons the water tables below as it leaches.

Wind mills have huge problems and destroy their environments, wildlife, and surface micro-cliamtes far worse than our gasoline vehicles and fossil fuel uses have done. The term "green" is far from the truth.. I doubt any of our enviro-nazis will look objectively at just how badly these things hurt the areas they are placed in.

Damn didn't know they were that sophisticated to have pitch and yaw, didn't even knew they turned, just figured they were stationary.

So again their preventive maintenance programs suck the big one.

The gear box on a 500kw GE unit holds 10-12 gallons of 45-60 oil. The hydraulic control systems (Brakes, blade turn, base turn, pitch and yaw control) hold upwards of 35 gallons of AW32 in them and the systems reservoir..

Most of what you see in the OP's pictures is hydraulic fluid leaking from control rams and the turret motor of the unit. Some of the newer units are using synthetics, which break down in sunlight to its base organic matter, the earth can deal with. Most of these wind turbines are not using the newer oils as they were designed for the fossil fuel types. The problem is the seals on the hydraulics, which these new oils simply eat holes in, as it is so costic. (acidic)

Even with the newer oils the areas directly below, in about a 200' radius, and down wind is laid waste in fairly short order if there is a leak. Throwing acidic substances, even if organic, on the landscape isn't good for it either but after about 3-5 years it will recover on its own as compared with oil which lays it waste for 20-30 years and poisons the water tables below as it leaches.

Wind mills have huge problems and destroy their environments, wildlife, and surface micro-cliamtes far worse than our gasoline vehicles and fossil fuel uses have done. The term "green" is far from the truth.. I doubt any of our enviro-nazis will look objectively at just how badly these things hurt the areas they are placed in.

Synthetic Oil are based on, use real oil.

One current study on wild life and cattle is being done in the Laramie range area (just north west of Cheyenne, Wyoming) where several wind farms are above cattle range, that is in use. They are comparing how cattle and other animals do in pristine environments and in the wind farm. One thing they have noticed is cattle, in the last five years under the wind farm, fail to gain weight at the same rates as their control. The study is but half done, but some of the early results are very interesting. They are looking into the low harmonics of wind farms which may cause sleep deprivation and other behavior problems in the cattle. There are several entry's referencing feed contamination due to hydraulic fluid leaks causing some illnesses which required veterinary intervention and animal destruction.. Its not good from what I can see.

Last edited:

Corn oils...Soybean oils... etc.. etc... and yes they are not very good.

One current study on wild life and cattle is being done in the Laramie range area (just north west of Cheyenne, Wyoming) where several wind farms are above cattle range, that is in use. They are comparing how cattle and other animals do in pristine environments and in the wind farm. One thing they have noticed is cattle, in the last five years under the wind farm, fail to gain weight at the same rates as their control. The study is but half done, but some of the early results are very interesting. They are looking into the low harmonics of wind farms which may cause sleep deprivation and other behavior problems in the cattle. There are several entry's referencing feed contamination due to hydraulic fluid leaks causing some illnesses which required veterinary intervention and animal destruction.. Its not good from what I can see.
No linky, Silly Billy? Guess you just pulled another one out of your ample ass.

Odd, I have walked under a number of the big ones east of The Dallas, and I saw no oil. And, as a maintenance person, I know damned well that the utility companies will do all they can to prevent such leaks, that would cost them a bundle. So, without links to definate industry sources, I will just regard the numbers thrown around as being pulled out of people's asses until they link to credible sources.

On the "stupid and desperate" scale, I give this thread an "8". It's way up there, but deniers can and have done better.

Corn oils...Soybean oils... etc.. etc... and yes they are not very good.

Synthetic oils used in trycks, cars, and w
Odd, I have walked under a number of the big ones east of The Dallas, and I saw no oil. And, as a maintenance person, I know damned well that the utility companies will do all they can to prevent such leaks, that would cost them a bundle. So, without links to definate industry sources, I will just regard the numbers thrown around as being pulled out of people's asses until they link to credible sources.
You are a liar.

I wonder why all the farmers haven't pointed out that all their farmland has been poisoned by wind turbines?

Oh, that's right, Billy is just engaging in his usual fraud and fakery. Nothing new to see.

The law of unintended consequences strikes again?

I wonder why all the farmers haven't pointed out that all their farmland has been poisoned by wind turbines?

Oh, that's right, Billy is just engaging in his usual fraud and fakery. Nothing new to see.
It is because they recieve huge subsidies for destroying farmland that makes them rich.

The U.S. wind energy boom couldn’t be coming at a better time

Wind energy in the U.S. is now at 66 gigawatts of installed capacity, according to the report — providing roughly 5 percent of total U.S. electricity demand. 66 gigawatts is enough electricity to power 17.5 million homes (a gigawatt is a billion watts). And, says Jose Zayas, who heads the wind and water power technologies office at the Energy Department’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, 13 more gigawatts are now “in the construction phase” and set to come online by 2016.

For reference, in 2012, the U.S. had 1063 gigawatts of total installed electricity capacity, according to the Energy Information Administration.

5% of our capacity is wind.

If they destroyed farmland, the farmers would not be eager to have them on their land. And many hundreds of the mills are on wheat farms East of the Dallas. And most of the farmers only complaint is that they don't have more mills on their property. Not only that, they grow wheat right up to the base of the mills.

The U.S. wind energy boom couldn’t be coming at a better time

Wind energy in the U.S. is now at 66 gigawatts of installed capacity, according to the report — providing roughly 5 percent of total U.S. electricity demand. 66 gigawatts is enough electricity to power 17.5 million homes (a gigawatt is a billion watts). And, says Jose Zayas, who heads the wind and water power technologies office at the Energy Department’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, 13 more gigawatts are now “in the construction phase” and set to come online by 2016.

For reference, in 2012, the U.S. had 1063 gigawatts of total installed electricity capacity, according to the Energy Information Administration.

5% of our capacity is wind.

And is it a net energy loser....or winner? One day it might be a net gain. Currently it isn't.

9, provide a link or simply be regarded as a liar.

Will Forbes do? A New Study Takes The Wind Out Of Wind Energy

This one's not bad Wind Energy and Examining Cost | The Energy Collective

Maybe the UK's take on it? Since you know they have a lot of it? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...-of-Britains-wind-farm-industry-revealed.html or Do windfarms work?

They are optimistic though that by 2020 they'll be cost effective. Hence the comment "One day it might be"

If you were paying attention, which apparently you haven't been you'd have noticed I do have at least something to back up something I say. Generally logic and reason are enough for the intelligent, as they can look at energy costs to produce, the stability of the grid, maintenance costs, electrical resistance loss due to transmission, and of course the inconsistency of the source.

But for those who need people to tell them how to think...I can post a few links too.

Now if the trends in aerogel technology continue on course, I think there will be a much more cost effective way to do it....but that day is not yet here.

Ten years ago, people were stating that wind would never provide even 1% of our electrical needs. Now it is providing 5%. And, when the grid starts including grid scale batteries at the mills and at the point of use, then wind and solar will provide far more of the power we use.

If they destroyed farmland, the farmers would not be eager to have them on their land. And many hundreds of the mills are on wheat farms East of the Dallas. And most of the farmers only complaint is that they don't have more mills on their property. Not only that, they grow wheat right up to the base of the mills.

Trust me, the farmers around here want them GONE! but its hard to kick them off your land when you lease government lands for feeding and the GOVERNMENT forces you to take them or loose your feeding rights..Families pay millions of dollars for those rights and these farms pay those fees for them... To kick them off is like cutting their own throats with all the heavy government rules and regs they are forced to put up with costing them millions..

Its easy for idiots like old crock, who doesn't have a dam clue about real life, to whine and moan... And yet he cant prove anything he whines about...

Forum List

Back