Differences between Liberal and Conservative brain structure

There IS evidence that different activities stimulate physical growth in various areas of the brain. Accomplished musicians for instance have more developed areas of the brain pertaining to the task of music then a non-musician. Do a Google search on musician’s brain. It stands to reason that if a person spends their entire life focusing on conservative values then an appropriate area of the brain would also be developed.

I agree. There's a veil of ignorance when we're first born. Unfortunately, it doesn't take long to adapt to Mom & Dad's lifestyle. Climbing out of the mold and into independent thought is a long journey, however.

And Nobody should know that like you.

You're Still Climbing, and have a long way to go.

You're never too old to learn, child. Something you stopped doing at around 12 I'm guessing.

There IS evidence that different activities stimulate physical growth in various areas of the brain. Accomplished musicians for instance have more developed areas of the brain pertaining to the task of music then a non-musician. Do a Google search on musician’s brain. It stands to reason that if a person spends their entire life focusing on conservative values then an appropriate area of the brain would also be developed.

I've posed the question for a long time whether continuous exposure to a lifestyle can add another genetic compound to the brain, but usually get royally shot down because it can't be conclusively proven, so I don't bring it up anymore. My particular point in the past has been that the cycle of poverty is now almost irreversible in some communities because it's been a way of life for so many generations that some genetic code has been altered.

There needs to be a study that demonstrates that Wry has a cerebrial cortex.

Is that the best you got, sammie boy?

No.

Why are you confused already?

Nope.

The empirical evidence suggests the study is spot on.

Conservatives supported the Republican Party which offered fear as its theme during the 2008 campaign; and the Democrats offered hope and change.

Look at the fear generated on the right by healthcare reform. Rather than debate the merits of change, conservative's emotions were stirred into a frenzy by fear mongerers and demagogues.

Look at how the Bush Administration used the attack of Sept. 11th to increase the authority of the White House, notice how hate and fear and the threat of mushroom clouds and Islamo Fascists stirred emotions and created a climate where the United States attacked and
occupied another soverign nation without first being attacked. Something our nation had never done before.

I've posed the question for a long time whether continuous exposure to a lifestyle can add another genetic compound to the brain, but usually get royally shot down because it can't be conclusively proven, so I don't bring it up anymore. My particular point in the past has been that the cycle of poverty is now almost irreversible in some communities because it's been a way of life for so many generations that some genetic code has been altered.

This is one of those rare opportunities I have to agree with you, and, to support your point.

"... a lifestyle can add another genetic compound to the brain,..."

With a slight modification...our DNA, rather than being mutated, seems to be ready to accomodate changes beneficial to the species.

"a. [T]he frontal cortex gives humans, unlike animals, the potential to control urges from the limbic system, whether for the second piece of red velvet cake or for the brunette behind the Starbucks counter. Next time you go to the zoo, look at the chimp’s low, recessed brow. Then check out your own bulging pate. That, clever reader, is your frontal cortex.

b. While biology may suggest that the human male can’t be expected to remain around for long, scientists are apt to describe the brain as chemically and neurologically predisposed to certain behaviors, and, in humans, it is a mistake to underestimate the environmental pressure of social norms. The human record suggests that social norms, especially the universal one of marriage, can reinforce fathers’ ties to their children, which in turn might even become part of the male neural architecture. Recently, neuroscientists have even discovered evidence that married men’s testosterone levels fall at the birth of their baby."
KAY S. HYMOWITZ
Femina Sapiens in the Nursery
The conflict between parenting and career is hardwired in the female brain.
Femina Sapiens in the Nursery by Kay S. Hymowitz, City Journal Autumn 2009

I might tend to lean towards that conclusion as well. It would be foolish to believe that we have stopped adapting to our environment.

This is one of those rare opportunities I have to agree with you, and, to support your point.

With a slight modification...our DNA, rather than being mutated, seems to be ready to accomodate changes beneficial to the species.

"a. [T]he frontal cortex gives humans, unlike animals, the potential to control urges from the limbic system, whether for the second piece of red velvet cake or for the brunette behind the Starbucks counter. Next time you go to the zoo, look at the chimp’s low, recessed brow. Then check out your own bulging pate. That, clever reader, is your frontal cortex.

b. While biology may suggest that the human male can’t be expected to remain around for long, scientists are apt to describe the brain as chemically and neurologically predisposed to certain behaviors, and, in humans, it is a mistake to underestimate the environmental pressure of social norms. The human record suggests that social norms, especially the universal one of marriage, can reinforce fathers’ ties to their children, which in turn might even become part of the male neural architecture. Recently, neuroscientists have even discovered evidence that married men’s testosterone levels fall at the birth of their baby."
KAY S. HYMOWITZ

I wish you'd been around for the debate (a year or so ago), and I appreciate your rare agreement with me! As I recall, I was arguing that you can't just tell people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps if they have become unable to do it, even with educational and environmental opportunities galore thrown at them. I wasn't offering any solutions, just a theory as to why the cycle of poverty (especially among minorities in urban ghettos) can't be broken.

KAY S. HYMOWITZ

I wish you'd been around for the debate (a year or so ago), and I appreciate your rare agreement with me! As I recall, I was arguing that you can't just tell people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps if they have become unable to do it, even with educational and environmental opportunities galore thrown at them. I wasn't offering any solutions, just a theory as to why the cycle of poverty (especially among minorities in urban ghettos) can't be broken.

"As I recall, I was arguing that you can't just tell people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps if they have become unable to do it,..."

Nothing I like better than placing the discussion in the political realm!

But I would have quibbled with the quote, first the 'tell' part. I always assume that folks are able to decide what is best for them...assume they are adults.

"..if they have become unable...'. Begging the question. You've presupposed the answer.

Generally, don't we frame this argument around whether or not the 'help' of government isn't often a hinderance?

See, now we're back on our usual footing!

Hilarious. A measly 6% of scientists are Republican. Red state colleges and universities are mostly the worst in the nation. Red states are funded by Blue states. Republicans slash eduction. The majority of Republicans believe evolution and science are "faiths".

There are no Republican government policies that work. Republicans fail at every single thing they do except "trick" the American people.

And yet, right wingers on this site are calling Democrats names. Good. The "ever shrinking" Republican party needs to remind Americans where racism, ignorance and intolerance comes from. I remember.

Republican Party, 90% white, most Christian. 6%, pathetic.

KAY S. HYMOWITZ

"As I recall, I was arguing that you can't just tell people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps if they have become unable to do it,..."

But I would have quibbled with the quote, first the 'tell' part. I always assume that folks are able to decide what is best for them...assume they are adults.

"..if they have become unable...'. Begging the question. You've presupposed the answer.

Generally, don't we frame this argument around whether or not the 'help' of government isn't often a hinderance?

I agree it's been a hindrance (surprise surprise). But no one seems to offer a solution for what to do NOW. You can't just herd people into some segregated society and put walls around them because there's no other solution. And no, I don't have the answer either.

I agree it's been a hindrance (surprise surprise). But no one seems to offer a solution for what to do NOW. You can't just herd people into some segregated society and put walls around them because there's no other solution. And no, I don't have the answer either.

You're much too mellow today.

Hilarious. A measly 6% of scientists are Republican. Red state colleges and universities are mostly the worst in the nation. Red states are funded by Blue states. Republicans slash eduction. The majority of Republicans believe evolution and science are "faiths".

There are no Republican government policies that work. Republicans fail at every single thing they do except "trick" the American people.

And yet, right wingers on this site are calling Democrats names. Good. The "ever shrinking" Republican party needs to remind Americans where racism, ignorance and intolerance comes from. I remember.

Oh give it a rest.

I don't mind an ad-hoc swipe at Conservatives now and then..I do it all the time.

But heck..least come up with something new.

Oh give it a rest.

I don't mind an ad-hoc swipe at Conservatives now and then..I do it all the time.

Deanie merely validates the following:

Life swings like a pendulum backward and forward between pain and boredom.
- Arthur Schopenhauer

Oh give it a rest.

OK, how about Paul Ryan's budget? Slashes education and medicaid and medicare. Saves the country 5 trillion. Gives a 4 trillion tax cut to the top 5%. Costs at least a million jobs right off the bat. Doesn't really save 5 trillion because it's "given away" to the wealthy. And he thinks jobs are "magically created" by tax cuts. Only we all know jobs are created, in a capitalist society through "supply and demand". Republicans have swallowed so much "swill", they don't understand that if no one has any money except rich people, there is no demand, hence "no jobs".

The problem is this goes all they way back to "stupid".

Hey, just curious. After attacking gays, Hispanics, women's rights and Muslims during the last year, who's next?

Using data from MRI scans, researchers at the University College London found that self-described liberals have a larger anterior cingulate cortex--a gray matter of the brain associated with understanding complexity. Meanwhile, self-described conservatives are more likely to have a larger amygdala, an almond-shaped area that is associated with fear and anxiety.

Will President Obama and the House GOP ever agree? Science suggests no - Yahoo! News

More idiocy in the name of science. How stupid are you to even post this?

Uh because it has to do with Science? Which is where the thread was placed? Ironically, your comment reflects "fear" that it's true, thereby making the scientific conclusion credible.

What does this have to do with science? Is it because they used the word science in the article?

Sad and pathetic.

Why don't you oppose the liberals who censor science?

Oh give it a rest.

Damn, I already pos repped you today.

You're much too mellow today.

That's because I lost it yesterday. I hate it when I'm brought down to street level. So back to low id today after a good night's sleep. I'll be back to normal by tomorrow. :lol:

Oh give it a rest.

OK, how about Paul Ryan's budget? Slashes education and medicaid and medicare. Saves the country 5 trillion. Gives a 4 trillion tax cut to the top 5%. Costs at least a million jobs right off the bat. Doesn't really save 5 trillion because it's "given away" to the wealthy. And he thinks jobs are "magically created" by tax cuts. Only we all know jobs are created, in a capitalist society through "supply and demand". Republicans have swallowed so much "swill", they don't understand that if no one has any money except rich people, there is no demand, hence "no jobs".

The problem is this goes all they way back to "stupid".

Hey, just curious. After attacking gays, Hispanics, women's rights and Muslims during the last year, who's next?

I look at Paul Ryan's blueprint (which is what he calls it) as doing the same thing the Democrats did with the first draft of a health care bill. Put fat in at the beginning (knowing you won't get it all, or even half of it, but eventually you'll settle on what counts most). That's actually a business model used for years and years whenever a costly new product, process, or policy was about to be pitched to owners and/or managers. I used the concept myself when I proposed establishing a word processing pool and moving away from one-on-one secretaries to only two per department, with WP doing all the document production for the whole firm. Nobody got laid off because the secretaries were offered a chance to train on the new computer setup. The first anticipated repercussion came from the people who would lose their personal secretaries; the second from the ones who paid the bills and the up-front costs necessary at the outset. But since I "put fat in at the beginning," the computer/word processing system I presented was the most expensive, so once they were convinced the new arrangement would be a time-saver and cost less in the long run, it was easy to get them to approve the system I really wanted in the first place!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back