An apple blossom is NOT an apple - A fertilized egg or embryo is NOT "a baby"

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by FreeWorld, Apr 11, 2011.

1. FreeWorld

FreeWorld Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I hear and read the phrase "baby killing" from anti-abortionists a lot - but it is a totally wrong desciption!

A fertilized egg/embryo/fetus is NOT "a baby"... no more than an apple blossom is an apple.

Sure it has the potential to become that - but even that is not certain - it can always be miscarried (GOD's abortion).
    Nor is a zygote-(1-2 weeks), an embryo-(2-8 weeks) or a fetus-(9-22 weeks) actually "a baby" because they are not viable to live as human beings yet.

After all, the state only issues "Birth Certificates" (to certify a live baby as a person) not conception certificates or pregnancy certificates.

Even the church does not baptise a fertilized egg or an unborn fetus as baby because the church does not considered it to be an actual person yet.

An embryo or fetus is not legally "a person" therefore it can not be "murdered" or have "rights".

With unplanned pregnancies, typically a woman won't figure out she is pregnant till about 4 weeks (embryo stage) - about the time of a missed period.

At this stage - an embryo looks nothing like a human and is only the size of a sesame seed. > :doubt:

At 8 weeks — it's only about the size of a kidney bean and even looks more like a kidney bean than a human. (Nothing like the huge, blown-up late fetus posters anti-abortionist use to deceive the public.)

Between 4 to 8 weeks a woman will know she is pregnant and did not plan the pregnancy and does not want to be pregnant -- she will typically decide to get an elective abortion at this early stage of an embryo and NOT wait for it become bigger as a fetus.

But here's the big reality check...

Most women have abortions at 4 to 8 weeks... during the Embryonic (seed-sized) Stage !

So all those oversized pictures of near-term baby-fetuses anti-abortionists use are false and meant to deceive because most woman don't wait months so they can abort huge near term fetuses unless it has already died inside their womb.

Anti-abortionist know this happens and take false photos of "still births" and pass them off as typical abortions when they are not.

The women who chooses to abort closer to 22 weeks usually do so for health reasons:

* The fetus has already died inside the womb and has to be removed to preserve the health of the woman.

* Save the life of the pregnant woman or preserve the woman's physical health
    due to complications such as:

Cervical insufficiency
    Chronic hypertension during pregnancy
    Ectopic pregnancy
    Excessive amniotic fluid (hydramnios or polyhydramnios)
    Gestational diabetes
    Gestational hypertension (pregnancy-induced hypertension)
    Intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR)
    Iron-deficiency anemia in pregnancy
    Low amniotic fluid (oligohydramnios)
    Placenta previa
    Placental abruption
    Preeclampsia

* Terminate pregnancy that would result in a child born with a congenital disorder that would be fatal or associated with significant morbidity
    or selectively reduce the number of fetuses to lessen health risks associated with multiple pregnancy.

Again... Even at 22 weeks a fetus is not legally or medically considered a person or viable as a human able to live outside the womb.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,103
    So when does an embryo become human?

Is it when the heart starts beating?
    Is it when it looks a human being and not a blob?
    Is it when there is neurological activity?
    Is it when the fetus is viable even though not yet born?

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I don't know what 'church' the OP refers to in its babble, but it cannot be the Catholic Church, because the Catholic Church considers a baby to be a baby from conception.

4. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,103
    The fact is that there is no consistency in law of when an embryo is actually a human being.

People get charged with double homicide for killing a pregnant woman and her fetus but that same woman could abort and it's OK.

We have to have some legal consistency.

5. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,726
    Human development always tends to be a political tap dance. We need to establish a time that a human being is actually a human being. Is it at conception? Is it at a different time? If we could agree on a time then the abortion issue could be once and forever resolved. Abortions would be considered legal from such and such a time and after that time considered to be illegal as a protection to the unborn baby. However, due to the political hot potato this issue has created it will never happen. Abortion will always be a spear that is thrown by those that agree to the procedure and by those that find the procedure appalling. Doesn't seem to be any room for compromise.

6. slukasiewski

slukasiewski BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    You are 100% CORRECT. :clap2:
    Conception - scientific FACT it's a baby. Should end all arguments/discussions on the matter - but the pro-choice whack-jobs keep blabbering....

7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    You know when life REALLY begins?

When the kids are old enough to move out of the house.

8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    They can establish whatever timeline they want.... it will not stop Catholics (and many other churches) from taking the stance that life begins at conception. To many of us, it's not about a legal definition, it's a moral one. And, in my belief system, life begins at conception... what happens to that life, once created, is for God, not man, to decide.

9. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,103
    That's all well and good for you but I do not happen to believe in the man in the sky and I don't want you forcing me to follow your religious delusions.

10. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Where in my post did I say that you had to? My first comment establishes that you are welcome to your views. I just wish others would accept my right to see things differently. I'm not even opposed to abortion.... that is for the individual and their conscience... I have my view, and I am as entitled to it as you are to yours. Not fucking rocket science.