Did You Know That The New York Times Is Majority Owned By A Mexican????

I didn't think to check before, but I feel this is a glaring conflict of interest.....the NEW YORK TIMES IS MAJORITY OWNED (17%) BY A MEXICAN NATIONAL!!!

How come you neocons are always stuck on 'dumb'. He has the highest shareholding amongst shareholders, not the majority...

Because when the NYTimes was bleeding money and couldn't find a way out -- Carlos Slim was their angel.. They owe him hugely....

How else do you keep a paper afloat that MAKES up most of the political stories on their front page and BURIES any contrary news below the horoscopes???

Yes I knew.

The New York Times is a Mexican gangster....no more no less

Yes we all knew.

And yet the NYT is _still_ very conservative.

Well, at least everyone who isn't sniffing glue says so. Trumptards, take another huff, and scream at us about the "liberal media".

The lesson? The NYT needs more Mexicans.
NYT is conservative, eh? That's like ISIS saying they're peaceful, one hates to ask then what's violent?

Okay. I admit. I did know that one.

Did you know that the Washington Post is owned by Jeff Bezos? He's long been worried that Trump may sniff an antitrust case at Amazon.

Everyone has an axe to grind against Trump and none of them are honest.

Not to mention Bezos connections and big money deals with CIA and Amazon

Slim's family is actually from Lebanon and he is NOT Mexican. Look it up. He is Arab but for some reason LOVES investing in Israel so probably has some Jew blood in him somewhere.
Then you're not American, since your ancestors came from somewhere else.

I didn't think to check before, but I feel this is a glaring conflict of interest.....the NEW YORK TIMES IS MAJORITY OWNED (17%) BY A MEXICAN NATIONAL!!!

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE???

What's worse....this asshole gave $1 million to the Clinton Foundation......

220px-Carlos_Slim_2012.jpg

Carlos Slim Helu
Born Jan. 20, 1940
Mexico City, Mexico
Residence Mexico City, Mexico

The New York Times - Wikipedia
Carlos Slim - Wikipedia

Carlos Slim loan and investment
On January 20, 2009, The New York Times reported that its parent company, The New York Times Company, had reached an agreement to borrow $250 million from Carlos Slim, a Mexican businessman and the world's second richest person,[84] "to help the newspaper company finance its businesses".[85] The New York Times Company later repaid that loan ahead of schedule.[86] Since then, Slim has bought large quantities of the company's Class A shares, which are available for purchase by the public and offer less control over the company than Class B shares, which are privately held.[86] Slim's investments in the company included large purchases of Class A shares in 2011, when he increased his stake in the company to 8.1% of Class A shares,[87] and again in 2015, when he exercised stock options—acquired as part of a repayment plan on the 2009 loan—to purchase 15.9 million Class A shares.[86] As of March 7, 2016, Slim owned 17.4% of the company's Class A shares, according to annual filings submitted by the company.[88][89]

Although Slim is the largest shareholder in the company, his investment does not give him the ability to control the newspaper, as his stake allows him to vote only for Class A directors, who compose just a third of the company's board.[86] According to the company's 2016 annual filings, Slim did not own any of the company's Class B shares.[88]

Carlos Slim Helú (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈkaɾlos esˈlim eˈlu]; born January 28, 1940) is a Mexican business magnate, investor, and philanthropist.[1][2] From 2010 to 2013, Slim was ranked as the richest person in the world.[3][4] He derived his fortune from his extensive holdings in a considerable number of Mexican companies through his conglomerate, Grupo Carso.[5] As of 31 July 2016 he was #7 on Forbes listing of The World's Billionaires with a net worth estimated at more than $50 billion.[6]

His conglomerate includes education, health care, industrial manufacturing, transportation, real estate, media, energy, hospitality, entertainment, high-technology, retail, sports, and financial services.[1][2][7][8] He accounts for 40% of the listings on the Mexican Stock Exchange,[7] while his net worth is equivalent to about 6 percent of Mexico’s gross domestic product.[9]

In 1995 Slim established Fundación Telmex, a broad-ranging philanthropic foundation, which as he announced in 2007 had been provided with an asset base of US$4 billion to establish Carso Institutes for Health, Sports and Education. Furthermore, it was to work in support of an initiative of Bill Clinton to aid the people of Latin America.[19] Because Mexican foundations are not required to publish their financial information, it is not possible to confirm Slim's claims of charitable giving through a public source.[84] The foundation has organized Copa Telmex, an amateur sports tournament, recognized in 2007 and 2008 by Guinness World Records as having the most participants of any such tournament in the world. Together with Fundación Carlos Slim Helú, Telmex announced in 2008 that it was to invest more than US$250 million in Mexican sports programs, from grass-roots level to Olympic standard.[19] Telmex sponsored the Sauber F1 team for the 2011 season.[87] [88] [89] Telmex donated at least $1 million to the Clinton Foundation.[90]

The Times is NOT majority owned by this man. He owns 17% of the Class A shares which gives him equity but no control. These appear to be non-voting shares.

To be the majority shareholder, he'd have to own 51% of the voting shares.
Besides the point. He owns more shares than anyone else. If you're really this gullible to think that the billionaire who owns more shares than anyone else isn't trying to influence what the paper publishes you're crazy.

As with everything else in this country "Money Talks". And isn't it strange the the Times was in such bad shape they that allowed a Mexican who just happens to be one of the 3 richest men in the world to buy up a bunch of their shares. Imagine what would happen to the Times if he decided to just dump those shares crashing the value of their stocks, or try a hostile takeover of the company. These types of threats aren't part of the normal operation of a corporation but happen every day in America.

Although Slim is the largest shareholder in the company, his investment does not give him the ability to control the newspaper, as his stake allows him to vote only for Class A directors, who compose just a third of the company's board.[86] According to the company's 2016 annual filings, Slim did not own any of the company's Class B shares.
You missed that part, no surprise there!

New York Times is controlled by the Ochs-Sulzberger family through Class B shares, nearly 90% of which are owned by the Ochs family.

Slim has no influence at the NYT?

Hmmm...I recall a few lefty pukes in here claiming on several occasions the Saudi prince who owned like 7% of the shares of the parent company of Fox News was virtually in charge of everything at Fox.

As always, you clowns can be very entertaining.

Slim's family is actually from Lebanon and he is NOT Mexican. Look it up. He is Arab but for some reason LOVES investing in Israel so probably has some Jew blood in him somewhere.
Slim was born in Mexico City .. he's Mexican.
His parents are Lebanese. He is Lebanese. If a dog is born in a pig sty it doesn't make the dog a pig.
Salma Hyek' s mother was Spanish and her father was Lebanese. She was born in Mexico .. she's Mexican.
Salma Hayek
She would be a half breed. Spanish and Lebanese.
Correct I have NEVER identified as an American whatever the fuck that is. Seems any third world trash can come here and be called an American. I am a White Man first and foremost.

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE???

What's worse....this asshole gave $1 million to the Clinton Foundation......

220px-Carlos_Slim_2012.jpg

Carlos Slim Helu
Born Jan. 20, 1940
Mexico City, Mexico
Residence Mexico City, Mexico

The New York Times - Wikipedia
Carlos Slim - Wikipedia

Carlos Slim loan and investment
On January 20, 2009, The New York Times reported that its parent company, The New York Times Company, had reached an agreement to borrow $250 million from Carlos Slim, a Mexican businessman and the world's second richest person,[84] "to help the newspaper company finance its businesses".[85] The New York Times Company later repaid that loan ahead of schedule.[86] Since then, Slim has bought large quantities of the company's Class A shares, which are available for purchase by the public and offer less control over the company than Class B shares, which are privately held.[86] Slim's investments in the company included large purchases of Class A shares in 2011, when he increased his stake in the company to 8.1% of Class A shares,[87] and again in 2015, when he exercised stock options—acquired as part of a repayment plan on the 2009 loan—to purchase 15.9 million Class A shares.[86] As of March 7, 2016, Slim owned 17.4% of the company's Class A shares, according to annual filings submitted by the company.[88][89]

Although Slim is the largest shareholder in the company, his investment does not give him the ability to control the newspaper, as his stake allows him to vote only for Class A directors, who compose just a third of the company's board.[86] According to the company's 2016 annual filings, Slim did not own any of the company's Class B shares.[88]

Carlos Slim Helú (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈkaɾlos esˈlim eˈlu]; born January 28, 1940) is a Mexican business magnate, investor, and philanthropist.[1][2] From 2010 to 2013, Slim was ranked as the richest person in the world.[3][4] He derived his fortune from his extensive holdings in a considerable number of Mexican companies through his conglomerate, Grupo Carso.[5] As of 31 July 2016 he was #7 on Forbes listing of The World's Billionaires with a net worth estimated at more than $50 billion.[6]

His conglomerate includes education, health care, industrial manufacturing, transportation, real estate, media, energy, hospitality, entertainment, high-technology, retail, sports, and financial services.[1][2][7][8] He accounts for 40% of the listings on the Mexican Stock Exchange,[7] while his net worth is equivalent to about 6 percent of Mexico’s gross domestic product.[9]

In 1995 Slim established Fundación Telmex, a broad-ranging philanthropic foundation, which as he announced in 2007 had been provided with an asset base of US$4 billion to establish Carso Institutes for Health, Sports and Education. Furthermore, it was to work in support of an initiative of Bill Clinton to aid the people of Latin America.[19] Because Mexican foundations are not required to publish their financial information, it is not possible to confirm Slim's claims of charitable giving through a public source.[84] The foundation has organized Copa Telmex, an amateur sports tournament, recognized in 2007 and 2008 by Guinness World Records as having the most participants of any such tournament in the world. Together with Fundación Carlos Slim Helú, Telmex announced in 2008 that it was to invest more than US$250 million in Mexican sports programs, from grass-roots level to Olympic standard.[19] Telmex sponsored the Sauber F1 team for the 2011 season.[87] [88] [89] Telmex donated at least $1 million to the Clinton Foundation.[90]

The Times is NOT majority owned by this man. He owns 17% of the Class A shares which gives him equity but no control. These appear to be non-voting shares.

To be the majority shareholder, he'd have to own 51% of the voting shares.
Besides the point. He owns more shares than anyone else. If you're really this gullible to think that the billionaire who owns more shares than anyone else isn't trying to influence what the paper publishes you're crazy.

As with everything else in this country "Money Talks". And isn't it strange the the Times was in such bad shape they that allowed a Mexican who just happens to be one of the 3 richest men in the world to buy up a bunch of their shares. Imagine what would happen to the Times if he decided to just dump those shares crashing the value of their stocks, or try a hostile takeover of the company. These types of threats aren't part of the normal operation of a corporation but happen every day in America.

He has "non controlling shares" meaning non-voting shares. He has NO votes and no control.

You need to educate yourself on corporate governance and classes of shares to understand how wrong your assertions are.

All he gets is dividends. No say in the running of the corporation.

His parents are Lebanese. He is Lebanese. If a dog is born in a pig sty it doesn't make the dog a pig.
Salma Hyek' s mother was Spanish and her father was Lebanese. She was born in Mexico .. she's Mexican.
Salma Hayek
Correct I have NEVER identified as an American whatever the fuck that is. Seems any third world trash can come here and be called an American. I am a White Man first and foremost.

Where do you live?

Although Slim is the largest shareholder in the company, his investment does not give him the ability to control the newspaper, as his stake allows him to vote only for Class A directors, who compose just a third of the company's board.[86] According to the company's 2016 annual filings, Slim did not own any of the company's Class B shares.
You missed that part, no surprise there!

New York Times is controlled by the Ochs-Sulzberger family through Class B shares, nearly 90% of which are owned by the Ochs family.
It has had some good articles but some are so far out there for the most part I ignore it. It sounds like when they lost the founder it went downhill, that happens a lot with old companies.

Salma Hayek
I hope you're not voting since you're not an American citizen.

Salma Hayek
I hope you're not voting since you're not an American citizen.
You wouldn't care if I was voting democrap. :)

Forum List

Back