Did a slave make your sneakers? The answer is: probably

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
i-1-90279693did-slaves-make-your-t-shirt-the-answer-is-probably.jpg

Slave labor? In the 21st Century? That can’t be true!

But...it is. Human trafficking deals in a variety of forms, sex being just one of them. This article is going to open your eyes and make you take a second look at what’s in your closet.

Across the world, an estimated 24.9 million people are victims of forced labor. The lion’s share of them–16 million people–are exploited by companies for a profit, rather than by private individuals, such as in the case of sex trafficking. And according to KnowTheChain’s report, one of the largest sectors that relies on forced labor is the $3 trillion apparel and footwear industry. An estimated 60 million to 75 million people are employed in this global sector. And while most of us realize that these workers are paid very little, the reality is that some are not paid at all.

Almost 60 million slaves!!!

And it’s not just the everyday items that are being made by slaves. Some very expensive stuff is too.

Read this shocking article
@ Did a slave make your sneakers? The answer is: probably

all that crap in China, etc is slave labor--
how can it be so cheap, it if isn't???!!!!
they have to live in ''poverty''' with those wages

But...it is. Human trafficking deals in a variety of forms, sex being just one of them. This article is going to open your eyes and make you take a second look at what’s in your closet.

Across the world, an estimated 24.9 million people are victims of forced labor. The lion’s share of them–16 million people–are exploited by companies for a profit, rather than by private individuals, such as in the case of sex trafficking. And according to KnowTheChain’s report, one of the largest sectors that relies on forced labor is the $3 trillion apparel and footwear industry. An estimated 60 million to 75 million people are employed in this global sector. And while most of us realize that these workers are paid very little, the reality is that some are not paid at all.

And it’s not just the everyday items that are being made by slaves. Some very expensive stuff is too.

It is a good article to read- and based upon what I know of the industry seems fairly accurate- Adidas, Lululemon, Gap, Nike all have good high scores- they all have very active programs to try to prevent worker abuse.

Most responsible footwear and wearing apparel companies have active audit programs to prevent the worst of the abuses- some of the abuses are frankly just because some countries labor laws are very lax.

But if you want to ensure you are buying ethically- do your research on the company you are buying from- but you won't go wrong buying your sneakers from Nike or Adidas.

all that crap in China, etc is slave labor--
how can it be so cheap, it if isn't???!!!!
they have to live in ''poverty''' with those wages

Sigh.

Believe me or not- no- not all of that crap from China is made with slave labor. I have been to factories in China- I have read audit reports by native Chinese speakers who audit factories.

The problem China has today is a labor shortage- they don't have enough workers for their factories- the young people are looking for work that is easier and with better working conditions than the factories.

China really is one of the better countries now for labor- Chinese companies have to compete for labor and companies with bad reputations can't get workers.

The countries with more serious issues are ones like Bangladesh and Myanmar.

The slaves will be replaced...............with robots soon enough. What will happen to all the minimum wage workers and illegal mexican laborers when they are replaced with robots?

I'm not sure, I wear DC sneakers, which I assumed are made in the US.

No, I'm not a Millenial safe-spacer so I DON'T wear hot-pink, intricately-patterned, wildly colored socks with my sneakers. Like a Gen-Xer real man, I wear ordinary white tube socks with them. Sorry to disappoint.

Probably not. I am wearing Chippewa boots....not sure where they are made at but doubt it.

Forum List

Back