Diaper Education

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Referencing my wonder at what people did before diapers were invented I googled it. For once, wiki was no help at all only covering mdoern diapers and the etymology of the word itself, not the history. But another site addresses my very question quite well.

Diapers

"
A diaper-free baby? Does that sound crazy? Does it conjures up visions of baby pee and poop all over your apartment, your clothes, and your baby’s clothes? If you are like most North Americans, it probably does. When I first heard of people not using diapers, my reaction was also to think that they must be nuts. After all, don’t babies need diapers?

The deep ingraining of the baby=diapers equation in the North American mind just goes to show how we take for granted that our cultural norms are the standard by which we measure the value of every concept we encounter.

For a moment, step outside the bubble of what you associate with normal baby-care practices. Have you ever wondered what people did before disposable diapers were available? One would assume they used cloth, right? That would imply they must have had an awful lot of washing to do! What did people do when they were in situations where water was scarce, or the climate was very cold? Were they just burdened by these circumstances? What did Native American and Inuit peoples do?

Ask yourself, what do people do all over the world where neither disposable nor cloth diapers present viable alternatives to dealing with their infants’ elimination needs?

The answer is simple: they don’t use diapers!"

rest at link

Article mentions babies are naturally resistant to soiling themselves. Will have to look that up to verify, but thinking of puppies it's true for them at least. Mommy dogs have to lick their puppies' genitals to stimulate urination and defecation. I don't think that'll catch on for humans though :)

Interesting article in all. Hate how it points ya to a book at the end for further reading. If I wanted to read a book I wouldn't be reading about it online! :)

One thing for sure is that plastic diapers are an abomination.

If you want cheapest and healthiest, go with a cloth diaper service. And yes, I did research when my g-kids were babies and we wanted to buy that for the parents - who both worked.

No dioxin and no diapers in the land fill for the next 500 years.

If we cared about the future of the babies being born today, we would outlaw the frikken plastic diapers.

If you want cheapest and healthiest, go with a cloth diaper service. And yes, I did research when my g-kids were babies and we wanted to buy that for the parents - who both worked.

If we cared about the future of the babies being born today, we would outlaw the frikken plastic diapers.

Asked my Mom which she used for me - cloth.

I think their adaption and widespread use comes more from our becomming indoor dwellers more than actual need. Probably occured to the elites way back ya don't want babies going potty all over your imported Persian rugs and the like, so someone invented diapers. Or along those lines. :)

my mother with 5 kids used cloth diapers [at different times] . Washed them in a wringer washer that she had and hung them on the clothesline . I still remember that wringer washer from the early 50s . I can still see her , diaper in hand dumping the poop in the terlt !!

Thoughts about this first came to me watching "Ice Age,"

"It's wearing one of those baby-thingies."

"So?"

"So if it poops where does it go?"

"Ugh! Humans are disgusting."

:)

funny and totally unrelated but we have a little love bird . He defacates all over his cage but he won't poop in his soft material that he likes to sleep in . Maybe a one , 2 year old kid in cave man days just followed mom and pop around and defecated where they did .

funny and totally unrelated but we have a little love bird . He defacates all over his cage but he won't poop in his soft material that he likes to sleep in . Maybe a one , 2 year old kid in cave man days just followed mom and pop around and defecated where they did .

Birds, with bird-brains, and Tea Partiers with bird brains, ya, guess that might be analogous. :)

don't know wot its go to do with tea party people but birds don't seem to be all that stupid , seeing what I see from this little love bird Delta .

don't know wot its go to do with tea party people but birds don't seem to be all that stupid , seeing what I see from this little love bird Delta .

If a bird seems smart to an observer, I'd think it's the observer who has the problem. :)

We raised three the old fashioned way, cloth diapers, washed at home.

Didn't seem to hurt anyone.

Once we tried some free Pampers, on a road trip.

Poor kid got the only diaper rash he ever had, in less than a day.

We raised three the old fashioned way, cloth diapers, washed at home.

Didn't seem to hurt anyone.

Once we tried some free Pampers, on a road trip.

Poor kid got the only diaper rash he ever had, in less than a day.

Commonsense would seem to say putting plastic against the body for prolonged periods isn't a good idea. It's a chemical, and my rule of thumb is if ya shouldn't eat it, ya shouldn't touch it or put it on your skin since some will absorbed into the body through pores. As with colognes, skin creams, etc.

Lotta baby clothes now are treated chemically with flame retardant. These have been shown to be carcinogenic (cause cancers.) While avoiding every carcinogen is perhaps impractical as they're all over in modern living, minimizing risk factors eliminating the obvious ones seems a good idea.

Forum List

Back