The U.S.
My condolences to both India and Nepal.

---

14:29 GMT:

Current death toll from the earthquake so far:

Nepal - 876, confirmed by police,

India - 34, confirmed by Home Secretary, LC Goyal,

Bangladesh – 1, confirmed by police,

Avalanche death toll – 10, confirmed by Nepalese tourism officials.
14:01 GMT:

India has announced it has mobilized its resources to help devastated Nepal.

"As directed by Prime Minister, we have mobilized all resources to support Nepal. We have at present diverted three aircraft and two helicopters to carry NDRF team, doctors, food, water and medicine among others to Nepal," Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar told PTI news agency.

Devastating 7.9-magnitude quake strikes Nepal India LIVE UPDATES RT News

Last edited:
India mounted a massive relief and rescue operation in Nepal on Saturday, pressing men and machine into service in the quake-ravaged country even as Prime Minister described the widespread devastation as "our pain".

External affairs ministry officials said as many as four aircraft including a C-130 plane carrying three tonnes of relief supplies and rescue teams reached Nepal's capital Kathmandu which bore the brunt of the 7.9 magnitude earthquake.

The ministry has also set up a 24-hour control room to help its nationals with information and any other assistance.

While two C17 Globemasters took off from Hindon airbase, one aircraft was being sent from Bhatinda, foreign secretary S Jaishankar told reporters.

The 40-member National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) with their equipment will not only provide relief and rescue services to Indians there but also Nepalese people, he said.

The teams will also assess the damage, he said, adding that India will fly special engineering teams to help the people of Nepal.

The Indian embassy in Kathmandu said late in the evening 39 NDRF team and 2 rescue dogs have joined the Nepalese army for rescue operations.

Acting on Nepal's request, the government will be also sending medical teams and mobile hospitals, the foreign secretary added.

The relief supplies include tents and blankets as asked by the Nepalese government, he said, noting that in a meeting chaired by the Prime Minister, the message was very strong that "we should do whatever possible to help Nepal".

Asked about Indians stuck there, Jaishankar said the government has received information from several states regarding tourist groups and it was being processed to get the exact number.

In the meeting and through a series of tweets, Modi said the government was fully committed to helping Nepal in its hour of need.

"Nepal's pain is our pain," Modi said and added that he spoke to the Nepal president Ram Baran Yadav and prime minister Sushil Koirala, who was abroad.

"Today's earthquake has made us all very sad. Reports are still coming on the extent of the damage," Modi tweeted, soon after chairing the high-level meeting.

Defence minister Manohar Parrikar also said all resources are being mobilised to help the Himalayan country.

He added Army chief Gen Dalbir Singh is in touch with his Nepalese counterpart.

Minister of state for external affairs VK Singh expressed solidarity with Nepal, saying India stood by it in this hour of distress.

"Will be our endeavour to extend all support and assistance to those affected," he tweeted.

India launches relief rescue operations in quake-ravaged Nepal

KATHMANDU, Nepal — Shrish Vaidya thought he was dreaming when his two-story house began to sway and shake "like crazy" after a massive earthquake struck just outside his hometown of Kathmandu on Saturday. For several minutes the earth shook violently, houses collapsed, roads cracked, centuries old temples and other historical monuments tumbled, and an avalanche swept down the slope of Mt. Everest engulfing mountaineering camps.

Nepal quake Over 1 000 dead history razed Everest shaken Boston Herald

---

"As directed by Prime Minister, we have mobilized all resources to support Nepal. We have at present diverted three aircraft and two helicopters to carry NDRF team, doctors, food, water and medicine among others to Nepal," Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar told PTI news agency.

Yes, natural disasters do happen .......... your point ???? ................... FYI --- It's been headlines since early early morning.

---

Yes, natural disasters do happen .......... your point ???? ................... FYI --- It's been headlines since early early morning.
What is your point? He and I are offering our condolences over a horrific tragedy, just as others did us after Katrina, 911, etc.
If you find fault with it, then just don't read the thread.

I commend India's quick action of providing help.

I am glad to see India helping Nepal. That is what humans do.

---

India is sending disaster-response teams, medical aid and food supplies to Nepal, which was hit by a powerful earthquake Saturday.

India’s foreign secretary, S. Jaishankar, said India would do “everything within its capability to be of help to Nepal in this difficult moment.”

Nearly 900 people have died, according to Nepalese police, who say the toll is likely to rise.

Indian Teams Land in Nepal to Help With Quake Relief - India Real Time - WSJ

---

What is your point? He and I are offering our condolences over a horrific tragedy, just as others did us after Katrina, 911, etc.

My point is that it's old news already, as I stated in my comment..... I find no fault in sympathizing with those affected by such a terrible natural disaster, and never said that I did. And the reason for your attack is?

It appeared to me you were unfairly attacking Vikrant.And whether you realize it or not, some people don't watch tv and could have missed the news.

---

My point is that it's old news already, as I stated in my comment..... I find no fault in sympathizing with those affected by such a terrible natural disaster, and never said that I did. And the reason for your attack is?

---

In a thread about offering condolences to victims, your response was callous to say the least.

When Katrina struck the U.S., India provided 25 million dollars worth of relief aid to the U.S., which is a lot of money for a poor country like India. This is what humans do.

---

In a thread about offering condolences to victims, your response was callous to say the least.

When Katrina struck the U.S., India provided 25 million dollars worth of relief aid to the U.S., which is a lot of money for a poor country like India. This is what humans do.
Please point out what part(s) of my comment was "callous", please. In addition, I know what other countries did during Katrina. I said absolutely nothing "callous". If you believe that I did, please point out my words. Thanks.

---

Please point out what part(s) of my comment was "callous", please. In addition, I know what other countries did during Katrina. I said absolutely nothing "callous". If you believe that I did, please point out my words. Thanks.

You were asking what my point was when I simply offered my condolence and shared the news. It is the entire spirit of your post that was callous. Anyway, going forward, I shall ignore your posts on this thread for I do not wish to demean this thread by replying to folks like you.

---

It's always tragic when Mother Nature shows her power. Fortunately there are many groups gathering needed supplies that will be on their way very soon to help those in need.

He reports about the earthquake and mentions what India is doing. Your response? "your point?"Reread it, then reread your old news response as well. Just because natural disasters do happen, does not make a major one not newsworthy because you consider it old news, because you had heard of it already.

Almost sounds as though you are angry with media you must be watching, continuing to report on it.

Now, I would like to mention this thread should not be about you and me, and possibly misinterpretation between one another, but about this tragedy and how others are reaching out to help. I believe that was his intent.

---

---

It's always tragic when Mother Nature shows her power. Fortunately there are many groups gathering needed supplies that will be on their way very soon to help those in need.
I just "thanked" your comment. Feel better now? Or, do you want to say something to me about being out of line thanking your comment? Wait, maybe someone will report me for doing it, then you can say something to me about it.

generally its the USA and to a lesser extent the western world that carries these 3rd world country's through these disasters . Good to see the third world finally doing something . Like I said earlier , disaster there is better than disaster here in the USA !!

Last edited:
Deadly Everest 7.9 earthquake kills 1,400 in Nepal...

Nepal quake: Nearly 1,400 dead, Everest shaken
25 Apr.`15 — Tens of thousands of people were spending the night in the open under a chilly and thunderous sky after a powerful earthquake devastated Nepal on Saturday, killing nearly 1,400, collapsing modern houses and ancient temples and triggering a landslide on Mount Everest. Officials warned the death toll would rise as more reports came in from far-flung areas.
Inspector Yuvraj Khadka of Nepal's national police force said that rescue effort was continuing through the night and the death toll had reached 1,394 people. The magnitude 7.8 earthquake, which originated outside the capital Kathmandu, was the worst tremor to hit the poor South Asian nation in over 80 years. It strong enough to be felt all across the northern part of neighboring India, Bangladesh, Tibet and Pakistan, where a total of 50 people died.

As Nepal trembled, residents fled homes and buildings in panic. Walls tumbled, trees swayed, power lines came crashing down and large cracks opened up on streets and walls. Clouds of dust began to swirl all around.

Within hours of the quake, hospitals had filled up with hundreds of injured people. With organized relief and rescue lacking, many survivors were brought to hospitals by friends and relatives in motorized rickshaws, flatbed trucks and cars. Residents used their bare hands, crowbars and other tools to dig through rubble and rescue survivors.

More than two dozen aftershocks jolted the area after the first quake, which struck just before noon. At the time, Shrish Vaidya, who runs an advertising agency, was in his two-story house outside the capital Kathmandu with his parents. "It is hard to describe. The house was shaking like crazy. We ran out and it seemed like the road was heaving up and down," Vaidya, 46, told The Associated Press. "I don't remember anything like this before. Even my parents can't remember anything this bad."

MORE

Forum List

Back