Destructive to the Social Fabic of America?

Which is most destructive to the fabric of the American family?

• Children being raised by daycare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drugs and alcohol

• Gay marriage

• Daddy's leg was blown off by a roadside bomb

• Total voters
Curious...is the difference between the thread title and the actual poll question intentional?

aaaah! not intentional, just spastic. :eusa_whistle:

do you think it's a different question???

View Poll Results: Which is most destructive to the fabric of the American family?

American social fabric / fabric of the American family

good one! i think for most people money is just a means to an end and they work hard to pay their bills and feed their families...and there is real security in having a good job and being able to afford a home and healthy food, healthcare, etc...american families are under a lot of pressure to make ends meet right now...because of the incredible shrinking dollar, greedy creditors and predatory business scams have definitely damaged the social fabric of america.

good one! i think for most people money is just a means to an end and they work hard to pay their bills and feed their families...and there is real security in having a good job and being able to afford a home and healthy food, healthcare, etc...american families are under a lot of pressure to make ends meet right now...because of the incredible shrinking dollar, greedy creditors and predatory business scams have definitely damaged the social fabric of america.

not exactly---greed that feeds off ignorance. People desperately chasing shit that they think will some how protect them from reality. The richest people in the world are not safe nor SAFER than you nor I. I sure as shit don't have to PAY body guards.

not exactly---greed that feeds off ignorance. People desperately chasing shit that they think will some how protect them from reality. The richest people in the world are not safe nor SAFER than you nor I. I sure as shit don't have to PAY body guards.

right, there's physical security and then there's financial security...which can only buy you so much, for sure...

no doubt this is a generation of consumerism and the american middle class are trapped in the credit pit, like gerbils on a treadmill...that is their reality.

"Keeping up with the Jones' " destroy's the social fabric in my opinion. Americans are so hell bent on having more than the next person they will go miles in debt just to appear affluent in some way. Then in turn the increasing debt destroys friendship, families and so on. Greed is Americas problem. The poor man with a loving family is much better off than the rich man with no friends at all.

i don't believe that at all.

i believe in personal responsibility and human compassion.

He just likes to misconstrue things because he's terrified of liberals.

You should have put "liberals" on the list and he'd have been able to vote.

:cool:

All I know is that money will get you through times of no family values better than family values will get you though time of no money.

Of course, the ideal situation is to find yourself in a family blessed with both.

When I was a kid, one in eight mothers worked full time outside the home.

Today seven in eight mothers have to work full time outside the home.

My point here bing that the decline in what some of you call familiy values is due in large part I think to the fact that so many mothers HAVE TO WORK OUTSIDE THE HOME in order to keep the family going.

It is damned hard to instill families values on latchkey kids who live in neighborhoods where every other kid is a latchkey kid, too.

Affluence, contrary to the popular myth than money is a bad thing, actually makes it easier to live that moral life that most of us think is the ideal, and poverty really does make creating such a life and instilling those values into your children more difficult.

If anyone doubts that, look at the strong correlation between poverty and crime.

Last edited:
Baba-head, get off your high horse. I'm not talking about welfare. I'm talking about the economy. If you can't take care of your family, no matter what the
reason--laziness, stupidity, the economy, the shrinking dollar--it causes unhappiness and misery and everything else becomes superfluous. Security is the great leveler.

People who are unhappy without money are also unhappy with money, Ravi. I'm not on a high horse, I'm speaking from experience. Because the ones who can't feed their families generally can't feed their families because they have OTHER ISSUES.

That's not to say there are instances where there's been a catastrophe which knocks the feet out from under families and they go through a period of stress and adjustment. But the families who have got it together, who are well grounded and have some sort of inkling of how to take care of themselves, overcome those obstacles.

Unlike the drug addicted, self-centered, stupid, mentally ill and/or narrcisistic who are unhappy no matter what, and whose lives are a mess, NO MATTER WHAT.

Your vision of a whole population of people who can't work because the big bad government is somehow preventing them, or because richer people are blocking their road to success or because they're being ignored and "just need a chance" is all a figment of your imagination. People have options, they just refuse to take them. And that isn't because they're poor. They're poor because they refuse to capitalize on opportunity. They're unhappy because they're waiting for someone to do it for them, and it just doesn't work that way.

People who are unhappy without money are also unhappy with money, Ravi. I'm not on a high horse, I'm speaking from experience. Because the ones who can't feed their families generally can't feed their families because they have OTHER ISSUES.

That's not to say there are instances where there's been a catastrophe which knocks the feet out from under families and they go through a period of stress and adjustment. But the families who have got it together, who are well grounded and have some sort of inkling of how to take care of themselves, overcome those obstacles.

Unlike the drug addicted, self-centered, stupid, mentally ill and/or narrcisistic who are unhappy no matter what, and whose lives are a mess, NO MATTER WHAT.

Your vision of a whole population of people who can't work because the big bad government is somehow preventing them, or because richer people are blocking their road to success or because they're being ignored and "just need a chance" is all a figment of your imagination. People have options, they just refuse to take them. And that isn't because they're poor. They're poor because they refuse to capitalize on opportunity. They're unhappy because they're waiting for someone to do it for them, and it just doesn't work that way.

You're projecting, AGAIN. I said none of those things and believe them not. Try reading for comprehension.

exactly, jillian! which is why i decided to create this poll!

it is an open poll with multiple choices.

Multiple choices does not work with your question which asks which is "the most..."

IMO there no "the most." All of your choices are contributing factors and the answer is going to be subjective to one's circumstances.

I don't know that homosexuality itself is destructive per se ... I think the sensationalism of the issue from BOTH sides is destructive. An aberrant minority that comprises less than 10% of the population should not be the focal point of the MSM, legislators, nor anyone else so long as the rest of those reasons you listed exist.

But we allow what that less than 10% says and does paralyze us like we don't have any REAL problem to deal with.

Multiple choices does not work with your question which asks which is "the most..."

IMO there no "the most." All of your choices are contributing factors and the answer is going to be subjective to one's circumstances.

I don't know that homosexuality itself is destructive per se ... I think the sensationalism of the issue from BOTH sides is destructive. An aberrant minority that comprises less than 10% of the population should not be the focal point of the MSM, legislators, nor anyone else so long as the rest of those reasons you listed exist.

But we allow what that less than 10% says and does paralyze us like we don't have any REAL problem to deal with.

is there any way you can fix my typo, pretty please? :D

i agree i didn't phrase my question ideally...honestly, it was more of a gut reaction to some of the ridiculous comments i've been reading here lately...point being, there are plenty of things that are more destructive to the fabric of america. it disgusts me that people use this issue to divide people politically...homosexuals are human beings, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends...american citizens.

i agree that the sensationalism on both sides is destructive.

i personally think it's silly to argue about the terminology of "marriage" and try to force the meaning of a word into some sort of faux equality...just call it something else, and move on...

One could also say that the 10% of people either born gay or born with a predisposition to being gay aren't the problem... and that the problem is the small, extremist percentage who have a problem with them. Perhaps they, too, shouldn't be pandered to?

At least we both agree that as long as the other issues exist, people shouldn't run on wedge issues. Now if someone would tell Karl Rove. ;)

You're projecting, AGAIN. I said none of those things and believe them not. Try reading for comprehension.

You said people are unhappy because they're poor. And I'm saying being poor isn't what makes them unhappy.

But rep for "believe them not", lol.

Well crud, I can't give you any more reps right now. I'm sending positive rep thoughts your way, though.

Forum List

Back